sad news

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Mar 14, 2012, 7:42 PM

sad news

Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
on "How Wikipedia Works."

I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.

There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
you want that information. His userpages are
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer

For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
http://wikip.blogspot.com/

He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png

Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
designs to promote Wikipedia.

He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
finished the book. He will be missed.

If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
friend.

thanks,
-- Phoebe

george.herbert at gmail

Mar 15, 2012, 12:41 AM

Re: sad news [In reply to]

Very sad, I met him and he seemed to be a very good guy.

Seems to be a bad week; a friend of mine from college passed on Sunday morning.

Focus on big things and have fun while you're here.

George William Herbert
Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 14, 2012, at 19:42, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:

> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>
> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.
>
> There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
> you want that information. His userpages are
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
> and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
>
> For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
> and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
> http://wikip.blogspot.com/
>
> He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
> designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png
>
> Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
> the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
> graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
> designs to promote Wikipedia.
>
> He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
> I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
> to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
> finished the book. He will be missed.
>
> If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
> or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
> me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
> to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
> friend.
>
> thanks,
> -- Phoebe

mateus.nobre at live

Mar 15, 2012, 1:03 AM

Re: sad news [In reply to]

=(

_____________________
MateusNobre
MetalBrasil on Wikimedia projects
(+55) 85 88393509
30440865

> From: george.herbert [at] gmail
> Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 00:41:34 -0700
> To: foundation-l [at] lists
> CC: foundation-l [at] lists; wikien-l [at] lists
> Subject: Re: [Foundation-l] sad news
>
> Very sad, I met him and he seemed to be a very good guy.
>
> Seems to be a bad week; a friend of mine from college passed on Sunday morning.
>
> Focus on big things and have fun while you're here.
>
> George William Herbert
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Mar 14, 2012, at 19:42, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> > user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> > on "How Wikipedia Works."
> >
> > I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> > that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> > his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.
> >
> > There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
> > you want that information. His userpages are
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
> > and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
> >
> > For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
> > and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
> > http://wikip.blogspot.com/
> >
> > He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
> > designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
> > http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png
> >
> > Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
> > the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
> > graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
> > designs to promote Wikipedia.
> >
> > He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
> > I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
> > to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
> > finished the book. He will be missed.
> >
> > If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
> > or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
> > me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
> > to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
> > friend.
> >
> > thanks,
> > -- Phoebe

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Mar 15, 2012, 9:12 AM

Re: sad news [In reply to]

I realize in my first note that I forgot to link Ben's meta page...
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer

a quick look at his contributions will remind some of us about the old
fundcom, Wikimania 2006 designs, Associations of Wikipedians and the
old store... Ben was one of the strongest advocates of producing good
Wikimedia merchandise!

cheers,
phoebe

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 7:42 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>
> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.
>
> There will be a memorial service in Michigan on Friday; contact me if
> you want that information. His userpages are
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
> and http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
>
> For several years Ben wrote a blog about Wikipedia that was incisive
> and widely read. Older posts can be found here:
> http://wikip.blogspot.com/
>
> He also designed the Wikimania logo with the two "w"s; originally
> designed for Wikimania 2006, we use it to this day:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Wikimania_%28spacing%29.png
>
> Ben was a skilled artist and designer and was responsible for all of
> the figures in "How Wikipedia Works." He also designed posters and
> graphic materials for Wikimania and proposed many other merchandise
> designs to promote Wikipedia.
>
> He was funny, smart, and shy; I never had a bad interaction with him.
> I worked with him intensively for many months but never got a chance
> to meet him in person, but I counted him as a friend long after we
> finished the book. He will be missed.
>
> If you have any comments that you would like to be given to his family
> or read at the service, please post them on Ben's talk page or send to
> me directly. Wikimedia was meaningful to Ben, and it would mean a lot
> to let his mom that people cared about her son as a colleague and
> friend.
>
> thanks,
> -- Phoebe

<at> gmail.com *

shlomif at shlomifish

Mar 16, 2012, 9:59 AM

Re: sad news [In reply to]

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:42:05 -0700
phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:

> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>
> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.

I have not known Mr. Yates (though the name rings a bell) but I am saddened to
hear that. My condolences go to everyone who knew him.

Regards,

Shlomi Fish

meta.sj at gmail

Mar 16, 2012, 6:01 PM

Re: sad news [In reply to]

On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 12:12 PM, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:
> I realize in my first note that I forgot to link Ben's meta page...
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Tlogmer
>
> a quick look at his contributions will remind some of us about the old
> fundcom, Wikimania 2006 designs, Associations of Wikipedians and the
> old store... Ben was one of the strongest advocates of producing good
> Wikimedia merchandise!

And he was very good at it. I am glad to have known him, and will
dearly miss his thoughtful views.

Sam.

frazera at bigpond

Mar 18, 2012, 7:44 AM

Re: sad news [In reply to]

On Saturday, March 17, 2012 3:59 AM <shlomif [at] shlomifish> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Mar 2012 19:42:05 -0700 <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail >wrote:

>> Those of you who have been around for a few years may remember
>> user:Tlogmer, aka Ben Yates -- co-author with Charles Matthews and I
>> on "How Wikipedia Works."
>>
>> I got an email from his mother this morning with the very sad news
>> that Ben passed away yesterday. I do not know the details. He was in
>> his 20s and lived in Michigan, USA.
>>

> I have not known Mr. Yates (though the name rings a bell) but I am
> saddened to
> hear that. My condolences go to everyone who knew him.

Please accept heartfelt condolences from Wikimedia Australia on the passing
of such a young life. At this time we think on his family and his Wikimedia
colleagues and friends. We can know a person through their authorship and so
their soul lives on through their writing. His writing and his passion for
spreading the word about how to be part of Wikimedia is forever part of the
global movement that mourns his passing.

Anne
for Wikimedia Australia