WikiQueer

faenwp at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 11:37 PM

WikiQueer

The recently launched[4] WikiQueer website has a system for
transcluding Wikipedia content[1] and appears to have a background
negotiated with the Wikimedia Foundation.

Can someone confirm the nature of any special relationship with the
website and the nonprofit that runs it?[3]

1. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/Wikipedia
2. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Milestones
3. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:The_Aequalitas_Project
4. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/01/gay-online-encyclopaedia-debuts-today/

Cheers,
Fae

keegan.wiki at gmail

Mar 2, 2012, 11:44 PM

Re: WikiQueer [In reply to]

On Sat, Mar 3, 2012 at 1:37 AM, Fae <faenwp [at] gmail> wrote:

> The recently launched[4] WikiQueer website has a system for
> transcluding Wikipedia content[1] and appears to have a background
> negotiated with the Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Can someone confirm the nature of any special relationship with the
> website and the nonprofit that runs it?[3]
>
> 1. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/Wikipedia
> 2. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Milestones
> 3. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:The_Aequalitas_Project
> 4.
> http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/01/gay-online-encyclopaedia-debuts-today/
>
> Cheers,
> Fae

The lead for the project, Gregory Varnum, is subscribed and semi-active on
this list. He can probably help you with this further. A quick look seems
to just be importing and setup clarifications. Dunno.

--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

gregory.varnum at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 12:01 AM

Re: WikiQueer [In reply to]

Fae,

As Keegan mentioned, I'm Lead Admin for WikiQueer and can speak to some of the below.

The system of transclusion that we're using is built into the MediaWiki software, and one used by several other projects. This was actually suggested to us by folks within the Wikimedia community. Essentially it's a way to prevent duplication of efforts and give appropriate link credit to the original article on Wikipedia. We also took special care to make sure licensing matched up between the two projects for ease of that usage.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ScaryTransclusion
http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/Template:Wikipedia_transclusion

We did not intend to imply a special relationship, and in areas go out of our way to clarify that we don't have any official affiliation. I've also cleaned up a few pages to clarify that further, just in case there was any confusion.
http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Wikimedia

We did assist in facilitating some LGBT outreach for Wikimedia, Wikimania and, in smaller part, the broader wiki community. Here's a participation grant I submitted for that effort:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Varnent/CreatingChange2012/Report

We're also making a conscious effort to involve Wikimedia movement folks - so there's a healthy relationship between the projects.
http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Global_Advisory_Board#Current_Members

Finally, we've volunteered dozens of developers hours to give back to the MediaWiki developer community.

Also looking at ways to continue to partner and support the work of the Wikimedia movement, Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia Chapters and MediaWiki communities. Eager to speak with more third-party wikis supporting WM efforts at Wikimania this summer.

I hope that helps clarify any questions about our intent, interest in supporting WM efforts and clarification that while we'd love for a partnership in the future - nothing exists yet.

-greg aka varnent

-------
Gregory Varnum
Lead Administrator, WikiQueer
Lead, Aequalitas Project
@GregVarnum
fb.com/GregVarnum

On Mar 3, 2012, at 2:37 AM, Fae <faenwp [at] gmail> wrote:

> The recently launched[4] WikiQueer website has a system for
> transcluding Wikipedia content[1] and appears to have a background
> negotiated with the Wikimedia Foundation.
>
> Can someone confirm the nature of any special relationship with the
> website and the nonprofit that runs it?[3]
>
> 1. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/Wikipedia
> 2. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Milestones
> 3. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:The_Aequalitas_Project
> 4. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/01/gay-online-encyclopaedia-debuts-today/
>
> Cheers,
> Fae

aprabhala at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 12:07 AM

Re: WikiQueer [In reply to]

Dear Gregory,

Congratulations on WikiQueer - this is a valuable project, and the very
best wishes for it. I'd like to bring your attention to a discussion
held at the recently concluded WikiConference India:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/WikiConference_India_2011/Submissions/Documenting_Indian_LGBT_space
http://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/report_wikiconference-day2-talks-on-getting-marginalised-communites-to-join-in_1614936

...which might be of interest to you? I'm copying Sridhar Rangayan into
this message as I am fairly sure he isn't subscribed to foundation-l.

Cheers,
Achal

On Saturday 03 March 2012 01:31 PM, Gregory Varnum wrote:
> Fae,
>
> As Keegan mentioned, I'm Lead Admin for WikiQueer and can speak to some of the below.
>
> The system of transclusion that we're using is built into the MediaWiki software, and one used by several other projects. This was actually suggested to us by folks within the Wikimedia community. Essentially it's a way to prevent duplication of efforts and give appropriate link credit to the original article on Wikipedia. We also took special care to make sure licensing matched up between the two projects for ease of that usage.
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/ScaryTransclusion
> http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/Template:Wikipedia_transclusion
>
> We did not intend to imply a special relationship, and in areas go out of our way to clarify that we don't have any official affiliation. I've also cleaned up a few pages to clarify that further, just in case there was any confusion.
> http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Wikimedia
>
> We did assist in facilitating some LGBT outreach for Wikimedia, Wikimania and, in smaller part, the broader wiki community. Here's a participation grant I submitted for that effort:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:Varnent/CreatingChange2012/Report
>
> We're also making a conscious effort to involve Wikimedia movement folks - so there's a healthy relationship between the projects.
> http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Global_Advisory_Board#Current_Members
>
> Finally, we've volunteered dozens of developers hours to give back to the MediaWiki developer community.
>
> Also looking at ways to continue to partner and support the work of the Wikimedia movement, Wikimedia Foundation, Wikimedia Chapters and MediaWiki communities. Eager to speak with more third-party wikis supporting WM efforts at Wikimania this summer.
>
> I hope that helps clarify any questions about our intent, interest in supporting WM efforts and clarification that while we'd love for a partnership in the future - nothing exists yet.
>
> -greg aka varnent
>

> -------
> Gregory Varnum
> Lead Administrator, WikiQueer
> Lead, Aequalitas Project
> @GregVarnum
> fb.com/GregVarnum
>

> On Mar 3, 2012, at 2:37 AM, Fae<faenwp [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> The recently launched[4] WikiQueer website has a system for
>> transcluding Wikipedia content[1] and appears to have a background
>> negotiated with the Wikimedia Foundation.
>>
>> Can someone confirm the nature of any special relationship with the
>> website and the nonprofit that runs it?[3]
>>
>> 1. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/Wikipedia
>> 2. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:Milestones
>> 3. http://www.wikiqueer.org/w/WikiQueer:The_Aequalitas_Project
>> 4. http://www.pinknews.co.uk/2012/03/01/gay-online-encyclopaedia-debuts-today/
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Fae

faenwp at gmail

Mar 3, 2012, 12:36 AM

Re: WikiQueer [In reply to]

Thanks for the clarification Greg. I'm delighted to see positive use
of Wikipedia content in this way.

I look forward to seeing a bit of synergy between the projects on gay
related topics.

Cheers,
Fae
--