Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: Wikipedia: Foundation

WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews

 

 

Wikipedia foundation RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


jason.safoutin at wikinewsie

Feb 27, 2012, 12:03 PM

Post #1 of 8 (261 views)
Permalink
WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews

This is interesting. Upon my daily sift through Google News for agencies
that might post Wikinews articles, I came across this (A video from
WikiNews...no not Wikinews):http://vimeo.com/35988111 It was posted on
another site a week ago:http://www.vhx.tv/644528 I don't know who made the video.
All I know is this poses a potential threat to our project. I don't know enough
about copyright laws in regards to the use of Wikipedia's project names
or the use of logos. Regardless, this is not good and quite frankly
kinda scared me a little. So I am sending this message through Foundation-1 in hopes that someone might be able to explain this. Wikinews Water Cooler discussion
on this:
http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Water_cooler/miscellaneous#WikiNews_makes_a_video...


--
Jason Safoutin - Accredited Reporter.
http://tinyurl.com/Credentials-Jason-Safoutin
"Speech is free, if you pretend it's free."
http://www.wikinewsie.org


_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


nawrich at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 12:18 PM

Post #2 of 8 (251 views)
Permalink
Re: WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews [In reply to]

It looks like it's just a promotion for Wikinews. It doesn't refer to or
link anywhere else. It's not totally accurate, from what I understand of
Wikinews, but I'm not sure how it's a threat?
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


betienne at bellaliant

Feb 27, 2012, 12:27 PM

Post #3 of 8 (241 views)
Permalink
Re: WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews [In reply to]

Will not be competing that well, we are number one and on google, and yahoo,
it does not show the new WikiNews.


On 12-02-27 4:03 PM, "Jason Safoutin" <jason.safoutin [at] wikinewsie> wrote:

> This is interesting. Upon my daily sift through Google News for agencies
> that might post Wikinews articles, I came across this (A video from
> WikiNews...no not Wikinews):http://vimeo.com/35988111 It was posted on
> another site a week ago:http://www.vhx.tv/644528 I don't know who made the
> video.
> All I know is this poses a potential threat to our project. I don't know
> enough
> about copyright laws in regards to the use of Wikipedia's project names
> or the use of logos. Regardless, this is not good and quite frankly
> kinda scared me a little. So I am sending this message through Foundation-1 in
> hopes that someone might be able to explain this. Wikinews Water Cooler
> discussion
> on this:
> http://en.wikinews.org/wiki/Wikinews:Water_cooler/miscellaneous#WikiNews_makes
> _a_video...
>



_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


andrew.lih at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 12:32 PM

Post #4 of 8 (240 views)
Permalink
Re: WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:

> It looks like it's just a promotion for Wikinews. It doesn't refer to or
> link anywhere else. It's not totally accurate, from what I understand of
> Wikinews, but I'm not sure how it's a threat?
>

In the video, the motto and the screenshot have nothing to do with
en.wikinews.org.

The fellow is a graphic designer. It's very possible he did it just as a
graphical exercise and nothing more, but I'd encourage folks to contact him
directly and ask.

http://shap-art.com/About
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


thomas.dalton at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 12:40 PM

Post #5 of 8 (241 views)
Permalink
Re: WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews [In reply to]

On 27 February 2012 20:18, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
> It looks like it's just a promotion for Wikinews. It doesn't refer to or
> link anywhere else. It's not totally accurate, from what I understand of
> Wikinews, but I'm not sure how it's a threat?

Yes, it is clearly talking about our Wikinews. It's very odd,
though... it sounds like it is supposed to be an official advert from
us, but if there were any plans to implement such radical changes to
the Wikinews model I would have expected to have heard about them, so
who actually made that video and why???

_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


andrew.lih at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 12:41 PM

Post #6 of 8 (241 views)
Permalink
Re: WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail>wrote:

> On 27 February 2012 20:18, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
> > It looks like it's just a promotion for Wikinews. It doesn't refer to or
> > link anywhere else. It's not totally accurate, from what I understand of
> > Wikinews, but I'm not sure how it's a threat?
>
> Yes, it is clearly talking about our Wikinews. It's very odd,
> though... it sounds like it is supposed to be an official advert from
> us, but if there were any plans to implement such radical changes to
> the Wikinews model I would have expected to have heard about them, so
> who actually made that video and why???
>

He's a designer and ad guy, so he might have just been doing it as an
exercise. Why guess when you can email?
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


kgorman at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 1:32 PM

Post #7 of 8 (242 views)
Permalink
Re: WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews [In reply to]

His most recent comment on the video: " Just found out about WikiNews.org 5
minutes ago. Whoops. "

so.. looks like he did this as a mockup and literally didn't know that it
was already a thing.

---
Kevin Gorman
User:Kgorman-ucb

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM, Andrew Lih <andrew.lih [at] gmail> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 12:40 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail
> >wrote:
>
> > On 27 February 2012 20:18, Nathan <nawrich [at] gmail> wrote:
> > > It looks like it's just a promotion for Wikinews. It doesn't refer to
> or
> > > link anywhere else. It's not totally accurate, from what I understand
> of
> > > Wikinews, but I'm not sure how it's a threat?
> >
> > Yes, it is clearly talking about our Wikinews. It's very odd,
> > though... it sounds like it is supposed to be an official advert from
> > us, but if there were any plans to implement such radical changes to
> > the Wikinews model I would have expected to have heard about them, so
> > who actually made that video and why???
> >
>
> He's a designer and ad guy, so he might have just been doing it as an
> exercise. Why guess when you can email?
> _______________________________________________
> foundation-l mailing list
> foundation-l [at] lists
> Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l
>
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l


andrew.lih at gmail

Feb 27, 2012, 1:40 PM

Post #8 of 8 (243 views)
Permalink
Re: WikiNews...no NOT Wikinews [In reply to]

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM, Kevin Gorman <kgorman [at] gmail> wrote:

> His most recent comment on the video: " Just found out about WikiNews.org 5
> minutes ago. Whoops. "
>
> so.. looks like he did this as a mockup and literally didn't know that it
> was already a thing.
>
>
Yes, I contacted him and he said:

Hey Andrew!

It's just a student concept me and my partner came up with. We tried to
find a way to help Wikipedia collect donations, it was a brief for a
student competition. but we never heard about your project before- seems
like we're not the only ones who had that idea.
...
please accept our apologies, we really didnt know about your website. We
thought it would be a great idea to do something like this, but you guys
pulled off exactly what we wanted to do.
_______________________________________________
foundation-l mailing list
foundation-l [at] lists
Unsubscribe: https://lists.wikimedia.org/mailman/listinfo/foundation-l

Wikipedia foundation RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.