WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Jan 27, 2012, 11:22 AM

WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda

Hi all,

The WMF Board of Trustees is planning our winter meeting for next
weekend. The draft agenda is posted here for comment:
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Board_Meetings/February_3-4,_2012

This is a very full agenda, focusing on three main topics: the WMF
annual planning process for 2012/2013, fundraising and funds
dissemination models, and the movement roles process.

-- Phoebe
(Board of Trustees Secretary, 2011-2012)

<at> gmail.com *

werespielchequers at gmail

Jan 27, 2012, 2:41 PM

Re: WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda [In reply to]

Hi Phoebe, Often the most interesting thing about an agenda is what it
omits. So the first board meeting after the SOPA blackout is not going to
discuss blackouts, SOPA and lobbying?

WereSpielChequers

Message: 9

> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:22:56 -0800
> From: phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail>
> <foundation-l [at] lists>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda

> Hi all,
>
> The WMF Board of Trustees is planning our winter meeting for next
> weekend. The draft agenda is posted here for comment:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Board_Meetings/February_3-4,_2012
>
> This is a very full agenda, focusing on three main topics: the WMF
> annual planning process for 2012/2013, fundraising and funds
> dissemination models, and the movement roles process.
>
> -- Phoebe
> (Board of Trustees Secretary, 2011-2012)
>
> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at> gmail.com *

> End of foundation-l Digest, Vol 94, Issue 74

kat at mindspillage

Jan 27, 2012, 2:56 PM

Re: WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda [In reply to]

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM, WereSpielChequers
<werespielchequers [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi Phoebe, Often the most interesting thing about an agenda is what it
> omits.  So the first board meeting after the SOPA blackout is not going to
> discuss blackouts, SOPA and lobbying?

I am assuming Legal will bring it up in the context of the annual plan!

But in our last in person board meeting--very shortly after the
Italian blackout, though I swear I put it on the agenda before
that!--we discussed whether this was something we should get involved
with/devote resources to at all, and what it would mean for us:

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2011-10-07 (search for "advocacy")

Now we're just into specific implementations. :-)

-Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia free: https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate
Web: http://www.mindspillage.org Email: kat [at] wikimedia, kat [at] mindspillage

deyntestiss at hotmail

Jan 27, 2012, 3:18 PM

Re: WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda [In reply to]

Phoebe,

On this agenda, could you give more detail about the topic "Paid editing discussion"? There is a current discussion on EN at the Village Pump regarding, among other things, PR personnel who edit on Wikipedia in ways that might violate NPOV and COI policy. It would be good to know if the Board is taking up this specific subject. Alternatively, if "paid editing discussion" instead is about editors which will be paid by WMF to edit, I think the community would want to know that this is will be discussed.

Thanks,

Pine

> Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 11:22:56 -0800
> From: phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail>
> <foundation-l [at] lists>
> Subject: [Foundation-l] WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda
>
> Hi all,
>
> The WMF Board of Trustees is planning our winter meeting for next
> weekend. The draft agenda is posted here for comment:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Board_Meetings/February_3-4,_2012
>
> This is a very full agenda, focusing on three main topics: the WMF
> annual planning process for 2012/2013, fundraising and funds
> dissemination models, and the movement roles process.
>
> -- Phoebe
> (Board of Trustees Secretary, 2011-2012)
>
> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at> gmail.com *

berialima at gmail

Jan 27, 2012, 3:22 PM

Re: WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda [In reply to]

Phoebe, this meeting is not the one to approve or not the Recomendations
from Sue, right? I always imagined that would be AFTER the meeting in Paris.
_____
*Béria Lima*
<http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
livre acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. Ajude-nos a
construir esse sonho. <http://wikimedia.pt/Donativos>*

On 27 January 2012 17:22, phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> The WMF Board of Trustees is planning our winter meeting for next
> weekend. The draft agenda is posted here for comment:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Board_Meetings/February_3-4,_2012
>
> This is a very full agenda, focusing on three main topics: the WMF
> annual planning process for 2012/2013, fundraising and funds
> dissemination models, and the movement roles process.
>
> -- Phoebe
> (Board of Trustees Secretary, 2011-2012)
>
> --
> * I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers
> <at> gmail.com *

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Jan 27, 2012, 3:42 PM

Re: WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda [In reply to]

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 2:56 PM, Kat Walsh <kat [at] mindspillage> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 5:41 PM, WereSpielChequers
> <werespielchequers [at] gmail> wrote:
>> Hi Phoebe, Often the most interesting thing about an agenda is what it
>> omits.  So the first board meeting after the SOPA blackout is not going to
>> discuss blackouts, SOPA and lobbying?
>
> I am assuming Legal will bring it up in the context of the annual plan!
>
> But in our last in person board meeting--very shortly after the
> Italian blackout, though I swear I put it on the agenda before
> that!--we discussed whether this was something we should get involved
> with/devote resources to at all, and what it would mean for us:
>
> https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Minutes/2011-10-07 (search for "advocacy")
>
> Now we're just into specific implementations. :-)
>
> -Kat

What Kat said -- also, in general, topics that don't make it to the
in-person agenda are usually discussed over email and/or IRC; the
in-person time is so limited that we try to limit to topics that would
really benefit from face-to-face discussions. This meeting in
particular we are trying a slightly different strategy in that we
tried to limit the number of topics discussed, so we can go further
in-depth for each one. Also, I think broad advocacy discussions will
certainly continue for a long time into the future (versus the annual
planning and fundraising discussions, which are time-sensitive).

phoebe

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Jan 30, 2012, 8:01 AM

Re: WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda [In reply to]

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 3:18 PM, En Pine <deyntestiss [at] hotmail> wrote:

> Phoebe,
>
> On this agenda, could you give more detail about the topic "Paid editing discussion"? There is a current discussion on EN at the Village Pump regarding, among other things, PR personnel who edit on Wikipedia in ways that might violate NPOV and COI policy. It would be good to know if the Board is taking up this specific subject. Alternatively, if "paid editing discussion" instead is about editors which will be paid by WMF to edit, I think the community would want to know that this is will be discussed.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pine

Pine: the former, I believe; I haven't heard anything about the latter :)

Beria: the calendar is posted here --
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fundraising_and_Funds_Dissemination
As I understand it we are going to try to get quite indepth into the
recommendations at this meeting, and see if there is consensus to
date, but not take a final vote.

-- phoebe

sgardner at wikimedia

Jan 30, 2012, 2:32 PM

Re: WMF Board of Trustees meeting agenda [In reply to]

Just adding to what Phoebe said (and sorry to top-post): my recommendations
are not finalized and have not been submitted formally to the Board. I
don't intend to submit them as-is: they will be shaped by the discussion
that's been happening thus far, by my own evolving views, and by input from
the Board at its meeting. What I am looking for out of the Board meeting is
to get nearer to a consensus WRT what direction we want to take.

Thanks,
Sue