Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement)

odder.wiki at gmail

Nov 24, 2011, 2:06 AM

Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement)

[.I am crossposting this announcement to two mailing lists, feel free to
pick up the topic on either of them.]

Dear All,
I am--yet again!--delighted to announce that Wikimedia Polska, the
Polish chapter of the WMF, is organising a travelling exhibition of the
winning POTY contest pictures. 16 images chosen by Wikimedians from all
over the world in the annual POTY contests from 2006 onwards are going
to be shown at exhibitions in various places around Poland.

As some of you may recall, the exhibition premièred during the 10th
anniversary of the Polish Wikipedia conference, having been visited by a
few hundred visitors in just two weeks; some images from the pubic
viewing of the exhibition are available on Wikimedia Commons at
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Picture_of_the_Year_exhibition_-_Pozna%C5%84_2011>.

Our first stop is Przystanek Książka (a Polish wordplay for "Book
Break"), a media library of the Public Library of the district of Ochota
in Warsaw. The exhibition starts on Monday, November 28, and will remain
until the end of the year. 16 pictures, the best of the best of the
Wikimedia movement, will be shown in an exhibition open for the public,
with descriptions available in Polish, English and German.

For those of you currently living in Warsaw or going to visit the
capital in the upcoming weeks: the library is located at 42 Grójecka
Street, just two tram stops (and 8 minutes) away from the Warsaw Central
railway station (tram lines "9" and "25"), and is open on working days
from 10 AM until 7 PM (2 PM-7 PM on Wednesdays).

We are still looking for more organisations and institutions willing to
hold the exhibition--if there's anyone from the neighbouring (European)
countries willing to get involved or just looking for some information,
feel free to approach me at <tomasz.kozlowski @ wikimedia.pl>.

We hope to have a great event, and even if you can't visit the
exhibition, please keep your fingers crossed that it goes well, and
spread the news!

PS For those going to take a peek at the exhibition _in real life_,
there's also a Facebook event:
<https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100219446762276>.

Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

davidrichfield at gmail

Nov 24, 2011, 8:14 AM

Re: Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement) [In reply to]

This is a really nice idea! I think Wikimedia South Africa should
consider doing something like this to advertise ourselves as soon as
we're incorporated.

--
David Richfield
e^(i)+1=0

liamwyatt at gmail

Nov 24, 2011, 8:24 AM

Re: Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement) [In reply to]

David - you don't have to wait to be incorporated :-) Feel free to go and
recreate this exhibition, it's free culture after all!

Tomasz - great work. I've always wanted to have my local community art
gallery have a PoTY exhibition and maybe with the photos of your event I
might be able to convince them. Perhaps it is out of the scope of what you
could do this year, but have you thought about using QRpedia codes to link
to the articles about the subject of the photos (so people can read more
about what they are looking at). Perhaps for those images that are created
by Wikimedians (not NASA etc) we could even get a paragraph from the artist
talking about how they got the photo or why they like using Commons. Would
give some nice contextualisation for the pictures :-)

Congrats,
-Liam

wittylama.com/blog
Peace, love & metadata

2011/11/24 David Richfield <davidrichfield [at] gmail>

> This is a really nice idea! I think Wikimedia South Africa should
> consider doing something like this to advertise ourselves as soon as
> we're incorporated.
>
> --
> David Richfield
> e^(i)+1=0

odder.wiki at gmail

Nov 24, 2011, 8:55 AM

Re: Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement) [In reply to]

David & Liam -- thank you for your comments and good words, it's
appreciated!

The idea of QRpedia codes has been suggested to us just a couple of days
ago by a Wikimedian who will be co-organising the exhibition in Bytom
(in the south of Poland) in January and I unfortunately forgot about it,
thanks for reminding me :)

As the photos have already reached Warsaw, I can't add any stickers to
them myself, but I'll try to sort it out with the library, if possible.
And I particularly like the idea about the 'interviews' with the
authors, it sounds really cool! :-)

As for the images of the exhibition, for now we only have
<http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Picture_of_the_Year_exhibition_-_Pozna%C5%84_2011>
released under a free licence (there's more unfree photos taken by
various media photographers, links available off-list); hopefully, there
will be more coming to the Commons as there are of course some
Wikimedians from Warsaw going to visit the exhibition.

Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

itzik at infra

Nov 27, 2011, 4:28 AM

Re: Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement) [In reply to]

Tomasz, that's absolutely great project and from the pictures he look
amazing.

During Wikimania in Haifa we also held a POTY exhibition, but I must say -
your exhibition is lovely and look much more professional!

Good luck!

Itzik.

2011/11/24 Tomasz Kozłowski <odder.wiki [at] gmail>

> [.I am crossposting this announcement to two mailing lists, feel free to
> pick up the topic on either of them.]
>
> Dear All,
> I am--yet again!--delighted to announce that Wikimedia Polska, the
> Polish chapter of the WMF, is organising a travelling exhibition of the
> winning POTY contest pictures. 16 images chosen by Wikimedians from all
> over the world in the annual POTY contests from 2006 onwards are going
> to be shown at exhibitions in various places around Poland.
>
> As some of you may recall, the exhibition premièred during the 10th
> anniversary of the Polish Wikipedia conference, having been visited by a
> few hundred visitors in just two weeks; some images from the pubic
> viewing of the exhibition are available on Wikimedia Commons at
> <
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Picture_of_the_Year_exhibition_-_Pozna%C5%84_2011
> >.
>
> Our first stop is Przystanek Książka (a Polish wordplay for "Book
> Break"), a media library of the Public Library of the district of Ochota
> in Warsaw. The exhibition starts on Monday, November 28, and will remain
> until the end of the year. 16 pictures, the best of the best of the
> Wikimedia movement, will be shown in an exhibition open for the public,
> with descriptions available in Polish, English and German.
>
> For those of you currently living in Warsaw or going to visit the
> capital in the upcoming weeks: the library is located at 42 Grójecka
> Street, just two tram stops (and 8 minutes) away from the Warsaw Central
> railway station (tram lines "9" and "25"), and is open on working days
> from 10 AM until 7 PM (2 PM-7 PM on Wednesdays).
>
> We are still looking for more organisations and institutions willing to
> hold the exhibition--if there's anyone from the neighbouring (European)
> countries willing to get involved or just looking for some information,
> feel free to approach me at <tomasz.kozlowski @ wikimedia.pl>.
>
> We hope to have a great event, and even if you can't visit the
> exhibition, please keep your fingers crossed that it goes well, and
> spread the news!
>
> PS For those going to take a peek at the exhibition _in real life_,
> there's also a Facebook event:
> <https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100219446762276>.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

johannes.rohr at wikimedia

Jan 12, 2012, 6:13 AM

Re: Wikimedia Poland to start a travelling POTY pictures exhibition in Warsaw (an announcement) [In reply to]

Cześć, Tomasz!

is the exhibition already in use in April/Mai? There might be an
occasion, where we at WMDE would like to display it at a very central
location in Berlin.

Pozdrawiam,

Johannes

2011/11/24 Tomasz Kozłowski <odder.wiki [at] gmail>:
> [.I am crossposting this announcement to two mailing lists, feel free to
> pick up the topic on either of them.]
>
> Dear All,
> I am--yet again!--delighted to announce that Wikimedia Polska, the
> Polish chapter of the WMF, is organising a travelling exhibition of the
> winning POTY contest pictures. 16 images chosen by Wikimedians from all
> over the world in the annual POTY contests from 2006 onwards are going
> to be shown at exhibitions in various places around Poland.
>
> As some of you may recall, the exhibition premièred during the 10th
> anniversary of the Polish Wikipedia conference, having been visited by a
> few hundred visitors in just two weeks; some images from the pubic
> viewing of the exhibition are available on Wikimedia Commons at
> <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Picture_of_the_Year_exhibition_-_Pozna%C5%84_2011>.
>
> Our first stop is Przystanek Książka (a Polish wordplay for "Book
> Break"), a media library of the Public Library of the district of Ochota
> in Warsaw. The exhibition starts on Monday, November 28, and will remain
> until the end of the year. 16 pictures, the best of the best of the
> Wikimedia movement, will be shown in an exhibition open for the public,
> with descriptions available in Polish, English and German.
>
> For those of you currently living in Warsaw or going to visit the
> capital in the upcoming weeks: the library is located at 42 Grójecka
> Street, just two tram stops (and 8 minutes) away from the Warsaw Central
> railway station (tram lines "9" and "25"), and is open on working days
> from 10 AM until 7 PM (2 PM-7 PM on Wednesdays).
>
> We are still looking for more organisations and institutions willing to
> hold the exhibition--if  there's anyone from the neighbouring (European)
> countries willing to get involved or just looking for some information,
> feel free to approach me at <tomasz.kozlowski @ wikimedia.pl>.
>
> We hope to have a great event, and even if you can't visit the
> exhibition, please keep your fingers crossed that it goes well, and
> spread the news!
>
> PS For those going to take a peek at the exhibition _in real life_,
> there's also a Facebook event:
> <https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=100219446762276>.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Tomasz Kozłowski | [[user:odder]]

Johannes Rohr

Wikimedia Deutschland e.V.
Eisenacher Straße 2
10777 Berlin

Tel.: +49 30 219158260
http://wikimedia.de

Helfen Sie mit, dass WIKIPEDIA von der UNESCO als erstes digitales
Weltkulturerbe anerkannt wird. Unterzeichnen Sie die Online-Petition:
http://wikipedia.de/wke/.

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das Finanzamt
für Körperschaften I Berlin, Steuernummer 27/681/51985.