Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa)

garbage5 at seznam

Sep 3, 2011, 2:02 AM

Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa)

Hi there,

I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference. There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content like videos and slides from the presentations.

Kozuch

berialima at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 2:07 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

not that difficult to find.

Slides:
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_2011_presentation_slides

Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WikimediaIL
_____
*Béria Lima*

*Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*

On 3 September 2011 10:02, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there
> actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference.
> There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to
> watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video
> on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far
> almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content
> like videos and slides from the presentations.
>
> Kozuch

church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail

Sep 3, 2011, 2:34 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

On 09/03/2011 11:07 AM, Béria Lima wrote:
> Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WikimediaIL

Only very few videos are online (actually only 5 sessions). Most of the
presentations are missing.

Regards,
Tobias
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

garbage5 at seznam

Sep 3, 2011, 3:04 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

I knew about these links. What I say is its a tragedy that people have to upload files by themselves and there is no streamlined process of:
1) creating the media centrally (in case of video)
2) getting it online all at once

That is all.

> Od: Béria Lima <berialima [at] gmail>
> Předmět: Re: [Foundation-l] Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations
> Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa)
> Datum: 03.9.2011 11:07:40
> not that difficult to find.
>
> Slides:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Wikimania_2011_presentation_slides
>
> Videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WikimediaIL
> _____
> *Béria Lima*
>
> *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter livre
> acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
> fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*
>

> On 3 September 2011 10:02, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam> wrote:
>
> > Hi there,
> >
> > I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there
> > actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference.
> > There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to
> > watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video
> > on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far
> > almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content
> > like videos and slides from the presentations.
> >
> > Kozuch

berialima at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 3:09 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

You know how many videos are there to be uploaded? How big those videos are?
And you know what the organizers are doing since Wikimania ends?

No one of the videos can go to Wikimedia Commons without a bugzilla request.

And btw, all presentations can be uploaded in commons by the speakers.
_____

2011/9/3 Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam>

> I knew about these links. What I say is its a tragedy that people have to
> upload files by themselves and there is no streamlined process of:
> 1) creating the media centrally (in case of video)
> 2) getting it online all at once
>
> That is all.

thomas.dalton at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 3:17 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

2011/9/3 BĂ©ria Lima <berialima [at] gmail>:
> No one of the videos can go to Wikimedia Commons without a bugzilla request.

That would seem to be a problem. If you are making separate bugzilla
requests for each video, you need to come up with a better process.
Either make one request for all the videos, or make a request to be
given the technical power needed to just do it yourself.

p858snake at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 3:26 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail> wrote:
> 2011/9/3 BĂ©ria Lima <berialima [at] gmail>:
> That would seem to be a problem. If you are making separate bugzilla
> requests for each video, you need to come up with a better process.
> Either make one request for all the videos, or make a request to be
> given the technical power needed to just do it yourself.
Um no, only one request is needed, You just need to link to somewhere
where the video files can be easily accessed so they can be
transferred. As for requesting technical access to do that, that would
involve shell access to the servers so that is likely never to happen.

zanni.andrea84 at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 5:30 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

Well, it seems that every year we choose locations that for one reason or
the other are likely not to be accessible to some groups or nationality (I
hear complaints every year about these issues)(no judgements, just a fact).
So I agree that this uploading issue should be faced once for all,
setting up a workflow with WMF technicians that would allow videos and
slides to be online in reasonable time.

Aubrey

2011/9/3 K. Peachey <p858snake [at] gmail>

> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 8:17 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail>
> wrote:
> > 2011/9/3 Béria Lima <berialima [at] gmail>:
> > That would seem to be a problem. If you are making separate bugzilla
> > requests for each video, you need to come up with a better process.
> > Either make one request for all the videos, or make a request to be
> > given the technical power needed to just do it yourself.
> Um no, only one request is needed, You just need to link to somewhere
> where the video files can be easily accessed so they can be
> transferred. As for requesting technical access to do that, that would
> involve shell access to the servers so that is likely never to happen.

node.ue at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 5:31 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

A bit disappointed to see posts like this. Most of us don't have the luxury
of attending international conferences every year, but that doesn't mean
we're not interested to know what happened there. Videos should be uploaded
and most popular presentations should be subtitled into the most popular
languages (I recognize that subtitling long videos is a huge time suck for
volunteers- but in an *ideal* world this would happen)

berialima at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 5:42 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

Just for your information: I did not go to Wikimania 2011 (or any of the
previous one), so please don't put anyone in the list of "people with the
luxury to attending international conferences every year."
_____
*Béria Lima*
<http://wikimedia.pt/>(351) 925 171 484

2011/9/3 M. Williamson <node.ue [at] gmail>

> A bit disappointed to see posts like this. Most of us don't have the luxury
> of attending international conferences every year, but that doesn't mean
> we're not interested to know what happened there. Videos should be uploaded
> and most popular presentations should be subtitled into the most popular
> languages (I recognize that subtitling long videos is a huge time suck for
> volunteers- but in an *ideal* world this would happen)
>

> 2011/9/3 Béria Lima <berialima [at] gmail>
>
> > You know how many videos are there to be uploaded? How big those videos
> > are?
> > And you know what the organizers are doing since Wikimania ends?
> >
> > No one of the videos can go to Wikimedia Commons without a bugzilla
> > request.
> >

> > And btw, all presentations can be uploaded in commons by the speakers.
> > _____
> > *Béria Lima*
> >
> > *Imagine um mundo onde é dada a qualquer pessoa a possibilidade de ter
> > livre
> > acesso ao somatório de todo o conhecimento humano. É isso o que estamos a
> > fazer <http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Nossos_projetos>.*
> >

> > 2011/9/3 Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam>
> >
> > > I knew about these links. What I say is its a tragedy that people have
> > > upload files by themselves and there is no streamlined process of:
> > > 1) creating the media centrally (in case of video)
> > > 2) getting it online all at once
> > >
> > > That is all.

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Sep 3, 2011, 11:04 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Andrea Zanni <zanni.andrea84 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Well, it seems that every year we choose locations that for one reason or
> the other are likely not to be accessible to some groups or nationality (I
> hear complaints every year about these issues)(no judgements, just a fact).
> So I agree that this uploading issue should be faced once for all,
> setting up a workflow with WMF technicians that would allow videos and
> slides to be online in reasonable time.
>
> Aubrey

Yes! if we can set up a system for media upload *before* the next
conference to try and address this issue, which does come up every
year, that would be fantastic.

Copying wikitech :) The problem: how and where should we annually
upload video and slides from ~100 conference presentations, keeping
them freely & easily accessible and the metadata (such as links to
papers, submission pages, wikipages of notes, etc) intact?

-- phoebe

zvandijk at googlemail

Sep 3, 2011, 11:08 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

Actually, in Haifa I did not visit a lot of presentations,
intentionally, because I thought they were recorded and going to be
uploaded. I used the time in Haifa to talk to people and make new
friends...
Ziko

--
Ziko van Dijk
The Netherlands

itzik at infra

Sep 3, 2011, 2:40 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

Hi,

As I said before - all Wikimania sessions had been recorded (in HD format!).
As everyone who work with video know, to produce 120 hours of HD videos, is
not an easy thing at all.

We had to finish a lot of administrative work which related to Wikimania,
and we just back to take care for this issue - to edit, decode and upload.
Videos are already on their way online to Youtube and we hope to upload all
of them until the end of the month. After we will finish that, we will need
to find more time again to decode them and compress them so we can upload to
Commons (every decode file who been uploads right now to youtube is about
3-4GB).

All the footage are backup on two hard drive, one that belong to Wikimedia
Israel and one which will be sent to WMF for archive. So we have all the
data, and it is only matter of time. Be patients please.

Itzik

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there
> actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference.
> There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to
> watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video
> on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far
> almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content
> like videos and slides from the presentations.
>
> Kozuch

mdale at wikimedia

Sep 4, 2011, 1:44 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

It will be a lot easier to import from YouTube once Timed media handler adds support for webm to commons. If you check out the wikivideo-l and commons lists for some recent example YouTube to commons scripts. I know this is not super useful info right this second, but there is hope on the horizon.

peace,
--michael

As I said before - all Wikimania sessions had been recorded (in HD format!).
As everyone who work with video know, to produce 120 hours of HD videos, is
not an easy thing at all.

We had to finish a lot of administrative work which related to Wikimania,
and we just back to take care for this issue - to edit, decode and upload.
Videos are already on their way online to Youtube and we hope to upload all
of them until the end of the month. After we will finish that, we will need
to find more time again to decode them and compress them so we can upload to
Commons (every decode file who been uploads right now to youtube is about
3-4GB).

All the footage are backup on two hard drive, one that belong to Wikimedia
Israel and one which will be sent to WMF for archive. So we have all the
data, and it is only matter of time. Be patients please.

Itzik

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there
> actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference.
> There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to
> watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video
> on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far
> almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content
> like videos and slides from the presentations.
>
> Kozuch

dgerard at gmail

Sep 4, 2011, 1:49 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

On 4 September 2011 21:44, Michael Dale <mdale [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> It will be a lot easier to import from YouTube once Timed media handler adds support for webm to commons. If you check out the wikivideo-l and commons lists for some recent example YouTube to commons scripts.  I know this is not super useful info right this second, but there is hope on the horizon.

How's Timed Media Handler (which will also allow WebM/VP8) going? ETA?

- d.

meta.sj at gmail

Sep 4, 2011, 10:43 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

For future Wikimanias, it may be helpful to have a small team led by a
video editing lead, that is expected to start their work at Wikimania
and finish two weeks after, to handle all of the video editing and
uploading. Including a contract with / sponsorship by a professional
videography shop that can help with the peak load. This is a small
line in the budget, an additional core volunteer, and makes a big
difference to people who want to catch up on the event while it is
still fresh.

SJ,
still feeling guilty that he never tracked down the video of the "Web
1.0 elevator pitch contest" from Wikimania 2006

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:40 PM, Itzik Edri <itzik [at] infra> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As I said before - all Wikimania sessions had been recorded (in HD format!).
> As everyone who work with video know, to produce 120 hours of HD videos, is
> not an easy thing at all.
>
> We had to finish a lot of administrative work which related to Wikimania,
> and we just back to take care for this issue - to edit, decode and upload.
> Videos are already on their way online to Youtube and we hope to upload all
> of them until the end of the month. After we will finish that, we will need
> to find more time again to decode them and compress them so we can upload to
> Commons (every decode file who been uploads right now to youtube is about
> 3-4GB).
>
> All the footage are backup on two hard drive, one that belong to Wikimedia
> Israel and one which will be sent to WMF for archive. So we have all the
> data, and it is only matter of time. Be patients please.
>
> Itzik
>
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam>wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there
>> actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference.
>> There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to
>> watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video
>> on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far
>> almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content
>> like videos and slides from the presentations.
>>
>> Kozuch

Samuel Klein          identi.ca:sj           w:user:sj          +1 617 529 4266

garbage5 at seznam

Sep 6, 2011, 1:38 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

Phoebe,

as a board member, can you make sure no more decision on next Wikimania host is made unless something like a propper "conference content guideline" is created and made mandatory for the next host?

My guideline proposal:
- presentations have to made accesible under free license
- host will put all presentations and video footage online within X days of end of conference (under free license again)

I think this would be enough and any host would be happy to comply.

Cheers,
Kozuch

> Od: phoebe ayers <phoebe.wiki [at] gmail>
> Předmět: Re: [Foundation-l] Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations
> Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa)
> Datum: 03.9.2011 20:04:20
> On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Andrea Zanni <zanni.andrea84 [at] gmail> wrote:
> > Well, it seems that every year we choose locations that for one reason or
> > the other are likely not to be accessible to some groups or nationality (I
> > hear complaints every year about these issues)(no judgements, just a fact).
> > So I agree that this uploading issue should be faced once for all,
> > setting up a workflow with WMF technicians that would allow videos and
> > slides to be online in reasonable time.
> >
> > Aubrey
> >

> Yes! if we can set up a system for media upload *before* the next
> conference to try and address this issue, which does come up every
> year, that would be fantastic.
>
> Copying wikitech :) The problem: how and where should we annually
> upload video and slides from ~100 conference presentations, keeping
> them freely & easily accessible and the metadata (such as links to
> papers, submission pages, wikipages of notes, etc) intact?
>
> -- phoebe

kim at bruning

Sep 6, 2011, 5:57 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

On Tue, Sep 06, 2011 at 10:38:14PM +0200, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) wrote:
> Phoebe,
>
> as a board member, can you make sure no more decision on next Wikimania host is made unless something like a propper "conference content guideline" is created and made mandatory for the next host?
>
> My guideline proposal:
> - presentations have to made accesible under free license
> - host will put all presentations and video footage online within X days of end of conference (under free license again)
>
> I think this would be enough and any host would be happy to comply.

So far, only Kosovo and Albania would be capable of pulling it off though O:-)

sincerely,
Kim Bruning (Who was very impressed by the FLOSSK folks)

jamesmikedupont at googlemail

Sep 6, 2011, 8:44 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

Hi,
we have been using archive.org for our conference videos, it works pretty
good.
mike

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 11:02 AM, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there
> actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference.
> There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to
> watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video
> on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far
> almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content
> like videos and slides from the presentations.
>
> Kozuch

James Michael DuPont

kim at bruning

Sep 7, 2011, 12:33 PM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 07, 2011 at 05:44:58AM +0200, Mike Dupont wrote:
> Hi,
> we have been using archive.org for our conference videos, it works pretty
> good.
> mike

\o/

Yes, and the "we" in this case are AWESOME people. :-D

(if only because they make the trains run on time... I mean... get
the videos online!)

sincerely,
Kim (Yay FLOSSK!) Bruning

itzik at infra

Sep 8, 2011, 6:40 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

JFI...

I Just finish upload about 15 videos you our channel on youtube. the editor
is working on the rest of them, and we uploading them (again, very heavy
files..). As I said, I hope that until of the month we will finish edit,
upload, and tag them..

http://www.youtube.com/WikimediaIL

Itzik

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Jan Kucera (Kozuch) <garbage5 [at] seznam>wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I think WMF should set up some "quality measures" to make sure there
> actually is some reasonable online output from every Wikimedia conference.
> There might be thousands of editors not being able to attend but wanting to
> watch what was going on. Now you have to dig and beg for any slides or video
> on Commons. I do not know the decision process for a location but so far
> almost every host failed miserably to deliver some reasonable online content
> like videos and slides from the presentations.
>
> Kozuch

kim at bruning

Sep 8, 2011, 10:04 AM

Re: Tragedy: videos and slides from presentations Wikimanias (lately 2011 in Haifa) [In reply to]

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 04:40:13PM +0300, Itzik Edri wrote:
> JFI...
>
> I Just finish upload about 15 videos you our channel on youtube. the editor
> is working on the rest of them, and we uploading them (again, very heavy
> files..). As I said, I hope that until of the month we will finish edit,
> upload, and tag them..
>
> http://www.youtube.com/WikimediaIL

<3 <3 <3 \o/ <3 <3 <3

sincerely,