Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues

agarrett at wikimedia

Aug 19, 2011, 5:29 AM

Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues

Hi all,

I've just started sending out over 750,000 emails to folks who are
eligible to vote in our Wikimedia Referendum. I've learned from past
mailouts in trying to exclude more bots, multiple accounts and folks
who've already voted. However, if you receive an email which doesn't
apply to you (for example, if you're not eligible to vote, or you've
requested to be excluded from such mailouts), or if there's a problem
with the email that you receive (for example, it's in the wrong
language), I've set up a page [1] where you can report it. Remember
that you can always opt out from all future mailings [2].

I'm hoping that having a central page for this information will help
in investigating the issues associated with errant mail, and allow
future mail to be better targetted.

Thanks a lot for your help,

—Andrew

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Email/False_positives
[2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_nomail_list

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation

sterkebak at gmail

Aug 19, 2011, 8:32 AM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

Hi,

Maybe we shouldn't e-mail every user every time there is a vote.

There has never been a run that didn't cause any problems and like
Andrew was saying elsewhere they know the system doesn't check for
global blocks and multible blocks.

So there will be a lot of false positives. And a lot of people will
get spam because they did create a account and did some edits...
People that think Wikimedia is sending spam will leave instead of
vote.

There is already a global site notice. This e-mails was't needed...

2011/8/19, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia>:
> Hi all,
>
> I've just started sending out over 750,000 emails to folks who are
> eligible to vote in our Wikimedia Referendum. I've learned from past
> mailouts in trying to exclude more bots, multiple accounts and folks
> who've already voted. However, if you receive an email which doesn't
> apply to you (for example, if you're not eligible to vote, or you've
> requested to be excluded from such mailouts), or if there's a problem
> with the email that you receive (for example, it's in the wrong
> language), I've set up a page [1] where you can report it. Remember
> that you can always opt out from all future mailings [2].
>
> I'm hoping that having a central page for this information will help
> in investigating the issues associated with errant mail, and allow
> future mail to be better targetted.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
>
> —Andrew
>
> [1]
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Email/False_positives
> [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_nomail_list
>
> --
> Andrew Garrett
> Wikimedia Foundation
> agarrett [at] wikimedia

Verzonden vanaf mijn mobiele apparaat

Kind regards,

Huib Laurens
WickedWay.nl

Webhosting the wicked way.

phoebe.wiki at gmail

Aug 19, 2011, 11:15 AM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

Every time we've run an election of any kind with emails, to the best of my
knowledge, the email has caused a huge jump in participation. This time,
sending the email led to an additional 5000 votes overnight, which more than
doubled the total vote count. I don't have the numbers to hand, but we saw a
similar email-bump in the last board election.

So if the goal is lots of participation, then I think email is warranted.
But we just need to iterate and get better at it... as Andrew is indeed
working on :)

-- phoebe

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 8:32 AM, Huib Laurens <sterkebak [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Maybe we shouldn't e-mail every user every time there is a vote.
>
> There has never been a run that didn't cause any problems and like
> Andrew was saying elsewhere they know the system doesn't check for
> global blocks and multible blocks.
>
> So there will be a lot of false positives. And a lot of people will
> get spam because they did create a account and did some edits...
> People that think Wikimedia is sending spam will leave instead of
> vote.
>
> There is already a global site notice. This e-mails was't needed...
>

> 2011/8/19, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia>:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I've just started sending out over 750,000 emails to folks who are
> > eligible to vote in our Wikimedia Referendum. I've learned from past
> > mailouts in trying to exclude more bots, multiple accounts and folks
> > who've already voted. However, if you receive an email which doesn't
> > apply to you (for example, if you're not eligible to vote, or you've
> > requested to be excluded from such mailouts), or if there's a problem
> > with the email that you receive (for example, it's in the wrong
> > language), I've set up a page [1] where you can report it. Remember
> > that you can always opt out from all future mailings [2].
> >
> > I'm hoping that having a central page for this information will help
> > in investigating the issues associated with errant mail, and allow
> > future mail to be better targetted.
> >
> > Thanks a lot for your help,
> >
> > —Andrew
> >
> > [1]
> >
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Email/False_positives
> > [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_nomail_list
> >
> > --
> > Andrew Garrett
> > Wikimedia Foundation
> > agarrett [at] wikimedia

> Verzonden vanaf mijn mobiele apparaat
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Huib Laurens
> WickedWay.nl
>
> Webhosting the wicked way.

* I use this address for lists; send personal messages to phoebe.ayers <at>
gmail.com *

millosh at gmail

Aug 19, 2011, 4:43 PM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

On Fri, Aug 19, 2011 at 14:29, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> I've just started sending out over 750,000 emails to folks who are
> eligible to vote in our Wikimedia Referendum. I've learned from past
> mailouts in trying to exclude more bots, multiple accounts and folks
> who've already voted. However, if you receive an email which doesn't
> apply to you (for example, if you're not eligible to vote, or you've
> requested to be excluded from such mailouts), or if there's a problem
> with the email that you receive (for example, it's in the wrong
> language), I've set up a page [1] where you can report it. Remember
> that you can always opt out from all future mailings [2].
>
> I'm hoping that having a central page for this information will help
> in investigating the issues associated with errant mail, and allow
> future mail to be better targetted.
>
> Thanks a lot for your help,
>
> —Andrew
>
> [1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/Email/False_positives
> [2] http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_nomail_list

While it is not a big deal for me to get six emails (including one in
Polish) instead of once, I want to say that I already added pattern
for my bot accounts at the Wikimedia nomail list and it existed at
Friday morning there, at least [1].

[1] http://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?title=Wikimedia_nomail_list&oldid=2813131

agarrett at wikimedia

Aug 19, 2011, 7:14 PM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
> While it is not a big deal for me to get six emails (including one in
> Polish) instead of once, I want to say that I already added pattern
> for my bot accounts at the Wikimedia nomail list and it existed at
> Friday morning there, at least [1].

Sorry, that list doesn't accept regular expressions. It's a straight
list of account names, which, until yesterday, had to go through about
twenty minutes of preprocessing before it was useful.

--
Andrew Garrett
Wikimedia Foundation

millosh at gmail

Aug 19, 2011, 7:53 PM

Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

(It seems that mail server is not functioning properly. I've got
"local delivery failed". Trying again or tomorrow.)

On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 04:14, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
>> While it is not a big deal for me to get six emails (including one in
>> Polish) instead of once, I want to say that I already added pattern
>> for my bot accounts at the Wikimedia nomail list and it existed at
>> Friday morning there, at least [1].
>
> Sorry, that list doesn't accept regular expressions. It's a straight
> list of account names, which, until yesterday, had to go through about
> twenty minutes of preprocessing before it was useful.

I supposed that's the problem. Anyway, may you do something like:
* Check for accounts with the same email address.
* If some of the accounts have "bot" in the name (something like
"bot($|\W)"), remove them.
* If none of the accounts have it, don't touch.
* If all of the accounts have it, don't touch.

lodewijk at effeietsanders

Aug 20, 2011, 3:16 AM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

Maybe we could catch this discussion on wiki - it is an ever returning
issue, and the lessons could be valuable for other campaigns too.

Lodewijk

2011/8/20 Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail>

> (It seems that mail server is not functioning properly. I've got
> "local delivery failed". Trying again or tomorrow.)
>
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 04:14, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia>
> wrote:
> > On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
> >> While it is not a big deal for me to get six emails (including one in
> >> Polish) instead of once, I want to say that I already added pattern
> >> for my bot accounts at the Wikimedia nomail list and it existed at
> >> Friday morning there, at least [1].
> >
> > Sorry, that list doesn't accept regular expressions. It's a straight
> > list of account names, which, until yesterday, had to go through about
> > twenty minutes of preprocessing before it was useful.
>
> I supposed that's the problem. Anyway, may you do something like:
> * Check for accounts with the same email address.
> * If some of the accounts have "bot" in the name (something like
> "bot($|\W)"), remove them.
> * If none of the accounts have it, don't touch.
> * If all of the accounts have it, don't touch.

nemowiki at gmail

Aug 20, 2011, 3:53 AM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

Lodewijk, 20/08/2011 12:16:
> Maybe we could catch this discussion on wiki - it is an ever returning
> issue, and the lessons could be valuable for other campaigns too.

Andrew has already produced a very useful summary on
https://wikitech.wikimedia.org/view/SecurePoll#Email_spam

Nemo

millosh at gmail

Aug 20, 2011, 8:38 PM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

I hold 7 votes, at the end: one real account, five bots and one of my
auxiliary accounts -- not used for years -- have got right to vote. I
have one more account, but I don't think that I made 10 edits with
that one.

risker.wp at gmail

Aug 20, 2011, 8:56 PM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

On 20 August 2011 23:38, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:

> I hold 7 votes, at the end: one real account, five bots and one of my
> auxiliary accounts -- not used for years -- have got right to vote. I
> have one more account, but I don't think that I made 10 edits with
> that one.

The rules for editors:[1]

You may vote from any one registered account you own on a Wikimedia wiki
(you may only vote once, regardless of how many accounts you own). To
qualify, this one account must:

- not be blocked on more than one project; and
- not be blocked on the project you are voting from; and
- not be a bot <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bot>; and
- have made at least 10 edits before 1 August 2011 across Wikimedia wikis
(edits on several wikis can be combined if your accounts are unified into
a global account <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Unified_login>)

You get one vote, Milos. Your bots do not get to vote. Your auxiliary
account does not get to vote, unless you forego voting on your main
account.

Risker/Anne

[1]http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Image_filter_referendum/en#Rules

millosh at gmail

Aug 21, 2011, 8:23 AM

Re: Wikimedia Referendum 2011 mailout — issues [In reply to]

On Sun, Aug 21, 2011 at 05:56, Risker <risker.wp [at] gmail> wrote:
> The rules for editors:[1]
>
> You may vote from any one registered account you own on a Wikimedia wiki
> (you may only vote once, regardless of how many accounts you own). To
> qualify, this one account must:
>
>   - not be blocked on more than one project; and
>   - not be blocked on the project you are voting from; and
>   - not be a bot <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Bot>; and
>   - have made at least 10 edits before 1 August 2011 across Wikimedia wikis
>   (edits on several wikis can be combined if your accounts are unified into
>   a global account <http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Unified_login>)
>

> You get one vote, Milos. Your bots do not get to vote. Your auxiliary
> account does not get to vote, unless you forego voting on your main
> account.

I am using different accounts for my different personalities. It's
true that the most of them are very rigid and narrow, but I think that
it would be fair to allow me to vote 7 times, as all of the votes
would be different.