Election results?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia foundation RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

tinucherian at gmail

Jun 17, 2011, 9:13 AM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

Congrats Ting, Sj and Kat ... Well deserved.

I personally wished to see at least one new face, though. :)

Regards
Tinu Cherian

On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:24 PM, Theo10011 <de10011 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Results are out.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en
>

> Theo
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Harel Cain <harel.cain [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > I only want to rephrase what I said back at the beginning of the thread:
> > it's perfectly understandable if things run late (huh, Wikimania taught
> me
> > this first hand). It's just that little one-sentence update on the
> results
> > page that was missing and would have spared us this thread.
> >
> > Now, some more patience - I'll go drink something :)
> >

> > Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem,
> >
> > Harel

> > > though.

> > > Now, now, everyone be nice. The moderation button isn't that far from
> me.
> > >
> > > Austin

> > --
> > Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

marc at uberbox

Jun 17, 2011, 9:23 AM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

On 06/17/2011 10:54 AM, Theo10011 wrote:
> Results are out.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en

Congratulations on the incumbents for their reelections.

I must admit that I am simultaneously disappointed and a little bit
relieved that I wasn't elected. It's a tough crowd you face.

-- Coren / Marc

kat at mindspillage

Jun 17, 2011, 10:15 AM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

Thank you all for your congratulations and your support!

(And congratulations to the rest of the candidates, whose leadership
and dedication are obvious in chapters, committees, and other
projects; I look forward to continuing to work with you.)

Cheers,
Kat

--
Your donations keep Wikipedia online: http://donate.wikimedia.org/en
Wikimedia, Press: kat [at] wikimedia * Personal: kat [at] mindspillage

millosh at gmail

Jun 17, 2011, 10:42 AM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

First, congratulations to reelected Board members! As a steward and
member of some committees, I had very good cooperation with them, and
I am sure that we'll have in the future, too.

Second, I would like to thank to all of those who voted for me and
especially to all of those who didn't. I couldn't imagine better
result for myself personally:
* While I know that changes are important for all of us, I am a bit
anxious about changes in my life. As nothing has changed, I am quite
happy.
* A lot of Wikimedians voted for me, which means that my work matters
to the significant portion of the community. That gives more reasons
to me to continue my present work.
* Finally and most importantly, I wouldn't have to fulfill my
electoral promises.

As I said, I am quite happy with the results. Important issues, like
community participation in decision-making processes, have been opened
during the elections; some of them have been opened before the
elections. I am here to stay and work on them.

dgerard at gmail

Jun 17, 2011, 11:34 AM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

On 17 June 2011 16:19, Alec Conroy <alecmconroy [at] gmail> wrote:

> I suspect the board will recruit, formally or informally, the top n
> runners-up to help provide the usual "new blood"ish infusion that a
> normal election result provides.    The global community wants to keep
> the keys in the current hands, but it did also point out others it
> likes, and we should be sure to keep engaging them at the
> movement-wide strategy level.

I think this is an essential next step. Being volunteered into a job
is the standard reward for showing competence in public ...

- d.

wing.philopp at gmx

Jun 17, 2011, 1:32 PM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

Hello all,

at first thank you all for take part in the election, especially to the
volunteers on the Elections Committee. As most of
organizing-an-event-job, there are always a lot of work that the
attendees of the events don't necessarily see. I also want to thank
everyone who take part in the voting. Whoever you have voted, it is an
important feedback for us all, and an important feedback for our works
in the past and our works ahead. Many thanks to the candidates who had
competed in a very fair and civil manner. The exchange of ideas and
views with all of you is very refreshing and gives me new impulses. A
very special thank this time to Alec McConroy, who had put up very tough
questions and as soon as I had caught breath (see below), I will
continue our conversation on meta.

Actually in this year I got the news of the election result later than
most of you. I was mostly on travel last week, and had visited Almaty,
Kazakhstan. Something really remarkable is happenning there. Our
volunteers there had started to organize a nationwide movement and had
found support in the politics, companies and media. The Kazakh
Encyclopedia had decided to put its up-to-date 16-band encyclopedia
under a free licence. There are initiatives in the parliament to make
the copyright law more clear and supportive in respect of free-licenses,
and the biggest national welfare fund "Samruk-Kazyna" had decided to
fund activities to build up the Kazakh Wikipedia. Our volunteers there
are going to start ambassador programs in the universities in Almaty and
had set the very ambitious goal to expand the Kazakh Wikipedia into 200k
articles until December 16th, the 20th independance day of the Republic
Kazakhstan, not by using bots, but by writing and translating qualified
articles. That would mean about ten fold of the article amount than at
the moment. It was on my way from airport back how when I got the first
congratulations, before I got know the result.

And tomorrow I am going to Den Bosch to celebrate with our volunteers in
the Netherlands 10 Years Netherlandish Wikipedia.

It is by chance that these two events lye so near by each other, but I
also think that there is an intrinsic link between them. It is our work
until now, and I mean really OUR, every volunteer, that inspire and
attract new people from around the world. Our success hetherto shows how
a world of sharing and a world of free knowledge could look like. It is
really true, that we are building a heritage, a world heritage,
recognized officially or not. It is a world heritage because so many
people, from so many places, put their hands on it. All of us collected
it, shaped it, byte by byte, section by section.

And because of this, as in every of my speech, my best and sincere
thank, goes to our volunteers, every single one of you.

Greetings
Ting

On 17.06.2011 16:54, wrote Theo10011:
> Results are out.
>
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Board_elections/2011/Results/en
>

> Theo
>
> On Fri, Jun 17, 2011 at 8:04 PM, Harel Cain<harel.cain [at] gmail> wrote:
>
>> I only want to rephrase what I said back at the beginning of the thread:
>> it's perfectly understandable if things run late (huh, Wikimania taught me
>> this first hand). It's just that little one-sentence update on the results
>> page that was missing and would have spared us this thread.
>>
>> Now, some more patience - I'll go drink something :)
>>

>> Shabbat Shalom from Jerusalem,
>>
>> Harel

>>> though.
>>> Now, now, everyone be nice. The moderation button isn't that far from me.
>>>
>>> Austin

>> --
>> Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/

patricio.lorente at gmail

Jun 17, 2011, 4:39 PM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

Congratulations to Ting, SJ and Kat! I'm sure you are going to keep on
the good work and to address some of the things that have been said in
this election.

Good luck!

Patricio

--
Patricio Lorente
Blog: http://www.patriciolorente.com.ar

meta.sj at gmail

Jun 17, 2011, 6:35 PM

Re: Election results? [In reply to]

On Friday, June 17, 2011, Patricio Lorente <patricio.lorente [at] gmail> wrote:
> Congratulations to Ting, SJ and Kat!

Thank you Patricio, and all who shared congratulations.

This is a tricky time for the projects and the Foundation - we are
squarely facing a drop in participation for the first time. Among
other things, we need fresh ideas and insights more than ever.

So I sympathize with Tinu - change is important. - and with Harel, we
should take care to balance the advantages of incumbency. A longer
period for debate and questions and translation, and an official
debate or set of well-organized questions, would help.

Patricio writes:
>I'm sure you are going to keep on
> the good work and to address some of the things that have been said in
> this election.

I thought you in particular made some excellent points about equity in
communication and accountable governance. I hope you will continue to
push for your suggestions.

Regards,
SJ

--
Samuel Klein identi.ca:sj w:user:sj +1 617 529
4266