1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Wikipedia foundation RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

millosh at gmail

1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language

I am preparing document for Wikimania. Presently, I am in process of
analyzing data (SIL [1], Ethnologue [2], Wikimedia projects). I am using
Ethnologue data for population estimates.

Before I started this task, I thought that the situation is not so bad
(or good, if it is about possibility for development). I thought that we
are around the end of languages with more than 1M of speakers. However,
this is far from being true.

There are no Wikipedias in 243 languages with more than 1M of speakers.
Of those, 27 have more than 10M of speakers.

The biggest language without any Wikimedia project is Jin Chinese, with
45 millions of speakers.

Around 1 billion of people belong to the group of big languages without
Wikipedia (or any Wikimedia project) in their language.

Of those, 480 millions have test projects, but 550 millions don't have
even test project; including:

* Jin Chinese, 45M, China
* Haryanvi, 38M, India, incubator
* Xiang Chinese, 36, China, incubator
* Maithili, 34M, India, incubator
* Nigerian Pidgin, 30M, Nigeria, incubator
* Filipino, 25M, Philippines, incubator
* Chhattisgarhi, 17.5M, India, incubator
* Rangpuri, 15M, Bangladesh
* Seraiki, 13.8M, Pakistan, incubator
* Madura, 13.6M, Indonesia, incubator
* Haryanvi, 13M, India
* Deccan, 12.8M, India
* Malvi, 10.4M, India
* Min Bei Chinese, 10.3M, China, incubator
* Sylheti, 10.3M, Bangladesh

Around 300 millions of people are using languages with less than 1M of
speakers which don't have Wikipedia editions.

Note that for all languages in the world Ethnologue gives the number of
6.15 billion, which is pretty accurate, counting that current estimate
(according to Wikipedia [3]) is 6.92 billion and that counting speakers
is very different from counting official population statistics.

Those are preliminary results. We have two chapters (and strategic
focus) in countries of the list above. Inside of the longer list, which
should be verified, we have more chapters. I noted that there are even
two languages of Germany without Wikipedia, but with more than million
of speakers: Mainfränkisch and Upper Saxon (the later one without test
Wikipedia).

The list of countries with languages with more than 1M of speakers and
without Wikipedia is: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin,
Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, China, Congo, Côte
d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial
Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Germany, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, India,
Indonesia (Java and Bali), Indonesia (Kalimantan), Indonesia (Nusa
Tenggara), Indonesia (Sulawesi), Indonesia (Sumatra), Iran, Iraq,
Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia
(Peninsular), Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia,
Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Saudi Arabia,
Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Syria,
Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey (Asia), Uganda, Viet Nam, Yemen,
Zambia, Zimbabwe.

[1] http://www.sil.org/
[2] http://www.ethnologue.com/
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_population

denny.vrandecic at kit

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

Can you also provide at least a rough estimate of the number of humans who don't have Wikipedia in any language they speak reasonably well (understanding very well that this is a hard problem of definition)?

Curious.

george.herbert at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 4:15 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
> [...]
> Wikipedia).
>
> The list of countries with languages with more than 1M of speakers and
> without Wikipedia is: Afghanistan, Algeria, Angola, Bangladesh, Benin,
> Bolivia, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Chad, China, Congo, Cte
> dIvoire, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ecuador, Egypt, Equatorial
> Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Germany, Ghana, Guatemala, Guinea, India,
> Indonesia (Java and Bali), Indonesia (Kalimantan), Indonesia (Nusa
> Tenggara), Indonesia (Sulawesi), Indonesia (Sumatra), Iran, Iraq,
> Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia
> (Peninsular), Mali, Mauritania, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Namibia,
> Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Saudi Arabia,
> Senegal, Serbia, Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Africa, Sudan, Syria,
> Tanzania, Thailand, Tunisia, Turkey (Asia), Uganda, Viet Nam, Yemen,

Good work generally, but regarding this last list...

Afghanistan has many languages in use (Pashto, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek);
Algeria uses Arabic, Berber, and French; Jordan's official language
is Arabic (though the spoken one is a dialect); and generally so
forth.

Can you break this out by which languages we are missing, not just by
country, as country isn't specific enough?

Thank you.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert [at] gmail

smolensk at eunet

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 13:15 +0200, Milos Rancic wrote:
> * Jin Chinese, 45M, China
> * Xiang Chinese, 36, China, incubator
> * Min Bei Chinese, 10.3M, China, incubator

Aren't these languages written with Chinese characters and thus their
speakers can read and write the Chinese Wikipedia?

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 01:22 PM, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> Can you also provide at least a rough estimate of the number of humans who don't have Wikipedia in any language they speak reasonably well (understanding very well that this is a hard problem of definition)?

I would say that the number humans without Wikipedia in any language
they speak is below "statistical error": 2% of 7 billions is 140
millions and I don't think that there are more than let's say, 50 millions.

Just very isolated tribes don't know official language of their country
and such tribes could be found in Central Africa, New Guinea, Amazon and
probably couple of other smaller places in the world.

Speaking in such numbers, 20% of population in Serbia would be fine with
English Wikipedia, all inhabitants of former Soviet Union would be fine
with Russian Wikipedia, all Native American peoples would be fine with
English, Spanish, Portuguese and French Wikipedias. And so on.

However, significant educational problem is attending primary school in
non-native language. And 1.3 billion gap counts there.

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 01:28 PM, George Herbert wrote:
> Good work generally, but regarding this last list...
>
> Afghanistan has many languages in use (Pashto, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek);
> Algeria uses Arabic, Berber, and French; Jordan's official language
> is Arabic (though the spoken one is a dialect); and generally so
> forth.
>
> Can you break this out by which languages we are missing, not just by
> country, as country isn't specific enough?
>
> Thank you.

Here is the table with all missing languages with more than 1M of
speakers. See notes about usage (especially in the case of Arabic
languages), as well as my reply to Denny about importance of native
languages in primary education. Note also that we have a number of
incubator projects in Arabic languages.

If any of you find some factual problem, please let me know.

It is likely that I'll put the complete list at Meta in the future.

population ISO 639-3 code ISO 639-1 code language name Wikimedia
projects country region writing system classification
45000000 cjy Chinese, Jinyu China Mainly in Shanxi Province;
some in Shaanxi and Henan provinces. Han script, Simplified variant.
Han script, Traditional variant. Sino-Tibetan, Chinese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=cjy>
A member of macrolanguage Chinese [zho
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zho>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
38261000 awa Awadhi incubator-wikipedia India Uttar Pradesh,
Kheri, Sitapur, Lucknow, Unnao, Rae-Bareli, Bahraich, Bara-Banki,
Pratapgarh, Sultanpur, Gonda, Faizabad, Allahabad districts; Bihar;
Madhya Pradesh; Delhi. Also in Nepal. Devanagari script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, East Central zone
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=awa>
36024400 hsn Chinese, Xiang incubator-wikipedia China Hunan
Province, Sichuan Province, over 20 counties; parts of Guangxi and
Guangdong provinces. Also in United States. Han script, Simplified
variant. Han script, Traditional variant. Sino-Tibetan, Chinese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hsn>
A member of macrolanguage Chinese [zho
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zho>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
34700000 mai Maithili incubator-wikipedia India Bihar,
Muzaffarpur on west, past Kosi east to west Purnia District, to Munger,
Bhagalpur districts south, and Himalayan foothills north; Delhi,
Calcutta, Mumbai. Many settled abroad. Cultural and linguistic centers
are Madhubani and Darbhanga towns. Janakpur also important culturally
and religiously. Also in Nepal. Devanagari script. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Eastern zone, Bihari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mai>
30000000 pcm Pidgin, Nigerian incubator-wikipedia Nigeria
Southern states; northern states in Sabon Garis; coastal and urban
areas. Creole, English based, Atlantic, Krio
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=pcm>
25000000 fil Filipino incubator-wiktionary,incubator-wikipedia
Philippines Widespread. Latin script. Austronesian,
Malayo-Polynesian, Philippine, Greater Central Philippine, Central
Philippine, Tagalog
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=fil>
22397000 arq Arabic, Algerian Spoken incubator-wikipedia
Algeria Also in Belgium, Egypt, France, Germany, Saint Pierre and
Miquelon. Arabic script. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=arq>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
21048900 ary Arabic, Moroccan Spoken incubator-wikipedia
Morocco North, south of Atlas Mountains, including Sahara port cities.
Also in Belgium, Egypt, France, Germany, Gibraltar, Libya, Netherlands,
United Kingdom, Western Sahara. Arabic script. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic,
Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ary>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
19000000 aec Arabic, Sa’idi Spoken Egypt Cairo south edge to
Sudan border. Middle Egypt in Bani Sweef, Fayyuum, and Gizeh; Upper
Egypt from Asyuut to Edfu and south. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central,
South, Arabic <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=aec>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
17500000 hne Chhattisgarhi incubator-wikipedia India
Chhattisgarh; Bihar; Orissa; possibly in Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, and
Tripura. Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
East Central zone <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hne>
16833000 apd Arabic, Sudanese Spoken Sudan Primarily north.
Also in Egypt, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Libya, Saudi Arabia. Arabic script.
Latin script. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=apd>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
15100000 acm Arabic, Mesopotamian Spoken Iraq Tigris and
Euphrates area. Also in Iran, Jordan, Syria, Turkey (Asia).
Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=acm>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
15000000 tts Thai, Northeastern incubator-wikipedia Thailand
Northeast; 17 provinces. Kalerng in Sakon Nakhon and Nakhon Phanom.
Thai script. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Southwestern,
Lao-Phutai <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tts>
15000000 rkt Rangpuri Bangladesh Rajshahi Division north from
Bogra, also known as the greater Dinajpur and Rangpur areas, now
subdivided into Rangpur, Lalmonihat, Nilphamari, Gaibanda, Panchagar,
Thakurgaon, and Dinajpur districts. Also in India. Bengali script.
Kamtapura script, may be in use in Koch Bihar. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Eastern zone, Bengali-Assamese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=rkt>
14426540 apc Arabic, North Levantine Spoken incubator-wikipedia
Syria Also in Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Belize, Cyprus, Dominican
Republic, Egypt, French Guiana, Israel, Jamaica, Lebanon, Mali, Puerto
Rico, Suriname, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey (Asia). Arabic script.
Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=apc>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
13820000 skr Seraiki incubator-wikipedia Pakistan South Punjab
and north Sind, Indus River valley, Jampur area. Derawali in Dera Ismail
Khan, Tank, Bannu, and Dera Ghazi Khan. Jangli is in Sahiwal area. Also
in India, United Kingdom. Arabic script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian,
Indo-Aryan, Northwestern zone, Lahnda
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=skr>
A member of macrolanguage Lahnda [lah
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=lah>] (Pakistan
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PK>).
13600900 mad Madura incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Java and
Bali) North coastal area of east Java, Sapudi Islands, Madura Island.
Also in Singapore. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Malayo-Sumbawan, Madurese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mad>
13000000 mag Magahi India Bihar, Gaya, Bhagalpur, eastern
Patna districts; Jharkhand, northern Chotanagpur Division, Hazaribagh
District; West Bengal, Maldah District. Devanagari script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Eastern zone, Bihari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mag>
13000000 ctg Chittagonian Bangladesh Chittagong region.
Arabic script. Latin script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Eastern zone, Bengali-Assamese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ctg>
13000000 bgc Haryanvi India Haryana; Rajasthan; Punjab;
Karnataka; Delhi; Himachal Pradesh; Uttar Pradesh. Devanagari script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Western Hindi,
Unclassified <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bgc>
12800000 dcc Deccan India Central Maharashtra, Deccan Plateau;
Karnataka, Belgaum, Bijapur districts; Madhya Pradesh, Raisen, Sehore
districts; Gujarat. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Southern zone, Unclassified
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=dcc>
10400000 mup Malvi India Madhya Pradesh, Ujjain, Indore,
Rathlam, Mandsaur, Rajgarh, Dewas, Shajapur, Nimuch, Sehore, Dhar,
Bhopal districts; Rajasthan, Jhalawar District. Sondwari dialect
geographically isolated from the others. Devanagari script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Rajasthani,
Unclassified <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mup>
A member of macrolanguage Rajasthani [raj
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=raj>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
10304000 mnp Chinese, Min Bei incubator-wikipedia China North
Fujian Province, 7 counties around Jian’ou. Also in Singapore.
Sino-Tibetan, Chinese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mnp>
A member of macrolanguage Chinese [zho
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zho>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
10300000 syl Sylheti Bangladesh Districts of Sylhet,
Sunamganj, Habiganj, Moulvibazar. Also in Australia, Canada, India,
Italy, Malaysia (Peninsular), Myanmar, Singapore, United Kingdom, United
States. Bengali script. Latin script. Syloti Nagri script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Eastern zone, Bengali-Assamese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=syl>
10296000 zlm Malay Malaysia (Peninsular) Widespread in
Peninsular Malaysia, parts of Sarawak. Also in Canada, Indonesia
(Sumatra), Myanmar, Singapore, United Arab Emirates, United States.
Arabic script. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Malayic, Malay
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zlm>
A member of macrolanguage Malay [msa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=msa>] (Malaysia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MY>).
9977000 ars Arabic, Najdi Spoken Saudi Arabia Also in Canada,
Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Syria, United States. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic,
Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ars>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
9500000 bjj Kanauji India Uttar Pradesh, Kanpur, Farrukhabad,
Etawah, Hardoi, Shahjahanpur, Pilibhit, Mainpuri, Auraiya districts.
Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central
zone, Western Hindi, Unclassified
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bjj>
9406900 aeb Arabic, Tunisian Spoken Tunisia Also in Belgium,
France, Germany, Libya. Arabic script. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central,
South, Arabic <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=aeb>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
9320240 kmr Kurdish, Northern incubator-wikipedia Turkey (Asia)
Hakkari, Siirt, Mardin, Agri, Diyarbakir, Bitlis, Bingol, Van, Adiyaman,
and Mus, most; also Urfa, Kars, Tunceli, Malatya, Erzurum, Marash,
Sivas, and other provinces; communities in central Turkey (Cankiri,
Cihanbeyli, near Konya); many in large cities in the west, including
Istanbul, Adana, Ankara, Izmir. Also in Afghanistan, Armenia, Australia,
Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France,
Georgia, Germany, Greece, Iran, Iraq, Italy, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait,
Kyrgyzstan, Lebanon, Netherlands, Norway, Russian Federation (Europe),
Sweden, Switzerland, Syria, Turkmenistan, United Kingdom, United
States. Arabic script. Cyrillic script, used in Armenia. Latin script,
developed in 1932. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western,
Northwestern, Kurdish
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kmr>
A member of macrolanguage Kurdish [kur
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kur>] (Iraq
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IQ>).
9000000 dhd Dhundari India Rajasthan, Jaipur, Dausa, Tonk
districts. Possibly in Bundi, Kota, Kishangarh, Ajmer, Jhalawar,
northern Karauli, Sawai Madhopur districts. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Rajasthani, Marwari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=dhd>
A member of macrolanguage Marwari [mwr
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mwr>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
7760000 bfy Bagheli India Northeast Madhya Pradesh, Rewa,
Satna, Sidhi, Shahdol, Umaria, Anuppur, Jabalpur, Mandla, Chhindwara,
Dindori, Panna districts; Uttar Pradesh, Allahabad, Mirzapur, Banda,
Hamirpur districts; Chhattisgarh, Bilaspur and Koriya districts. Also in
Nepal. Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
East Central zone <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bfy>
7600000 ayn Arabic, Sanaani Spoken Yemen Extends as far south
as Dhamar. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ayn>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
7078500 acq Arabic, Ta’izzi-Adeni Spoken Yemen All provinces
except the 2 east and the northeast ones. Probably a few in United Arab
Emirates and Saudi Arabia. Also in Djibouti, Egypt, Eritrea, Kenya,
Libya, Somalia, United Kingdom. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central,
South, Arabic <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=acq>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
6970000 vah Varhadi-Nagpuri India Maharashtra, Amravati,
Buldana, Akola districts; Madhya Pradesh, Chhindwara and Balaghat
districts; Andhra Pradesh, Adilabad and Nizamabad districts.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Southern zone, Unclassified
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=vah>
6300000 lua Luba-Kasai Democratic Republic of the Congo
Widespread in Kasaï Occidental and Kasaï Oriental provinces. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, L, Luba (L.30)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=lua>
6300000 ayp Arabic, North Mesopotamian Spoken Iraq Tigris,
part of the Euphrates valleys north of Baghdad. Also in Jordan, Syria,
Turkey (Asia). Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ayp>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
6200000 ajp Arabic, South Levantine Spoken incubator-wikipedia
Jordan Also in Argentina, Egypt, Israel, Kuwait, Libya, Palestinian
West Bank and Gaza, Puerto Rico, Syria. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic,
Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ajp>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
6170900 sat Santali incubator-wikipedia India Bihar, Bhagalpur,
Munger districts; Jharkhand, Manbhum, Hazaribagh districts, Orissa,
Balasore District; West Bengal, Birbhum, Bankura districts; Assam;
Mizoram; Tripura. Also in Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal. Bengali script.
Devanagari script. Latin script, used in Bangladesh. Ol Chiki (Ol
Cemet’, Ol, Santali) script. Oriya script. Austro-Asiatic, Munda, North
Munda, Kherwari, Santali
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sat>
6023900 acw Arabic, Hijazi Spoken Saudi Arabia Red Sea coast
and adjacent highlands. Also in Eritrea. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic,
Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=acw>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
6009400 nod Thai, Northern incubator-wikipedia Thailand Chiang
Mai, Chiang Rai, Lamphun, Lampang, Maehongson, Hot, Nan, Phayao, Phrae,
Uttaradit, Tak provinces. Also in Laos. Lanna (Tai Tham) script, most
are not literate in this Old Northern script. Thai script. Tai-Kadai,
Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Southwestern, East Central, Chiang Saeng
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=nod>
6000000 lmn Lambadi India Andhra Pradesh; Madhya Pradesh;
Himachal Pradesh; Gujarat; Tamil Nadu; Maharashtra; Karnataka; Orissa;
West Bengal. Devanagari script. Kannada script. Telugu script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Rajasthani,
Unclassified <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=lmn>
5770000 hil Hiligaynon incubator-wikipedia Philippines Iloilo
and Capiz provinces, Panay, Negros Occidental, Visayas. Also in United
States. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Philippine,
Greater Central Philippine, Central Philippine, Bisayan, Central,
Peripheral <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hil>
5622600 rwr Marwari India Rajasthan, Jodhpur, Jaisalmer,
Barmer, Bikaner, Churu, Pali, Jalore districts; Gujarat; Madhya Pradesh;
Punjab; Delhi; Haryana; Uttar Pradesh; thoughout India. Also in Nepal,
Pakistan. Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Central zone, Rajasthani, Marwari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=rwr>
A member of macrolanguage Marwari [mwr
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mwr>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
5530000 min Minangkabau incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Sumatra)
Widespread in the Indonesian Archipelago; west central Sumatra, Padang
area. Nearly half live outside central Sumatra; South Sumatra, west
coast Mukomuko area. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Malayic, Malay
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=min>
5430000 suk Sukuma Tanzania Northwest, between Lake Victoria
and Lake Rukwa, Shinyanga to Serengeti Plain (Kiya); also Mwanza (Gwe).
Few in cities; 88% in the traditional area. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, F, Sukuma-Nyamwezi (F.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=suk>
5061700 mos Mòoré Burkina Faso Central Ouagadougou area;
widespread. Also in Benin, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali, Senegal, Togo.
Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, North, Gur,
Central, Northern, Oti-Volta, Western, Northwest
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mos>
5000000 wtm Mewati India Rajasthan, Alwar, Bharatpur, Dholpur
districts; Uttar Pradesh, Madhura District; Haryana, Gurgaon, Faridabad
districts. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone,
Unclassified <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=wtm>
5000000 kng Koongo Democratic Republic of the Congo Bas-Congo
Province cataract, Mbanza Manteke area; Fioti north of Boma, and
scattered along Congo River from Brazzaville to its mouth. Also in
Angola, Congo. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo,
Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, H, Kongo (H.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kng>
A member of macrolanguage Kongo [kon
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kon>] (Democratic
Republic of the Congo
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CD>).
4910000 vmf Mainfränkisch incubator-wikipedia Germany Mostly
River Main area, including Mainz, west of Frankfurt. Indo-European,
Germanic, West, High German, German, Middle German, West Middle German,
Moselle Franconian
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=vmf>
4850000 gug Guaraní, Paraguayan Paraguay Also in Argentina.
Latin script. Tupi, Tupi-Guarani, Subgroup I
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=gug>
A member of macrolanguage Guarani [grn
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=grn>] (Paraguay
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PY>).
4730000 hoj Hadothi India Rajasthan, Kota, Jhalawar, Bundi,
Baran districts; Madhya Pradesh, Gwalior District. Devanagari script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Rajasthani,
Unclassified <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hoj>
A member of macrolanguage Rajasthani [raj
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=raj>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
4600000 czh Chinese, Huizhou China South Anhui Province,
Huizhou region and Jixi, She (Xi), Ningguo, Jingde, Tunxi, Xiuning, Yi,
Qimen and Dongzhi counties; northern Zhejiang Province, Chun’an County,
Jiande municipality; northeast Jiangxi Province, Wuyuan, Dexing and
Fuliang counties. Han script, Simplified variant. Han script,
Traditional variant. Sino-Tibetan, Chinese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=czh>
A member of macrolanguage Chinese [zho
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zho>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
4500000 sou Thai, Southern incubator-wikipedia Thailand
Chumphon, Nakorn Srithammarat; 14 provinces total. Muslim Tai in
provinces of Chumporn, Nakorn Srithammarat, Phattalung, Songkhla,
Ranong, Phanga, Phuket, Krabi, Trang, Satun. Thai script. Tai-Kadai,
Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Southwestern, Southern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sou>
4410000 luo Dholuo incubator-wikipedia Kenya Nyanza Province.
Also in Tanzania. Latin script. Nilo-Saharan, Eastern Sudanic,
Nilotic, Western, Luo, Southern, Luo-Acholi, Luo
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=luo>
4321000 ayl Arabic, Libyan Spoken incubator-wikipedia Libya
Especially north half. Also in Egypt, Niger. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic,
Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ayl>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
4200000 ktu Kituba Democratic Republic of the Congo Bas-Congo
and south Bandundu provinces. Latin script. Creole, Kongo based
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ktu>
4156090 aln Albanian, Gheg incubator-wikipedia Serbia Kosovo.
Also in Albania, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Macedonia, Montenegro,
Romania, Slovenia, United States. Latin script. Indo-European,
Albanian, Gheg <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=aln>
A member of macrolanguage Albanian [sqi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=sqi>] (Albania
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=AL>).
4101000 nso Sotho, Northern
incubator-wiktionary,incubator-wikipedia South Africa Transvaal, south
and central. Also in Botswana. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, S, Sotho-Tswana (S.30), Sotho, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=nso>
4004490 knn Konkani India North and central coastal strip of
Maharashtra; Karnataka; Dadra and Nagar Haveli; Kerala. Also in
Canada. Devanagari script, official script. Kannada script, no longer
in use. Latin script, no longer in use. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian,
Indo-Aryan, Southern zone, Konkani
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=knn>
A member of macrolanguage Konkani [kok
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kok>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
4002880 umb Umbundu Angola West, Benguela District. Also in
Namibia. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo,
Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, R, South Mbundu
(R.10) <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=umb>
3960000 kam Kamba Kenya South central, Eastern Province,
Machakos and Kitui districts; Coast Province, Kwale District. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, E, Kikuyu-Kamba (E.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kam>
3952810 rmt Domari Iran Kurbat and Luli in west; Mehtar in
Fars and Kohgiluyeh va Boyerahmad Province; Karachi in north. Also in
Afghanistan, Egypt, India, Iraq, Israel, Jordan, Libya, Palestinian West
Bank and Gaza, Russian Federation (Europe), Sudan, Syria, Turkey
(Europe), Uzbekistan. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Central zone, Dom <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=rmt>
3930000 mui Musi incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Sumatra) South
Sumatra Province, Musi River upstream to Bukit Barisan mountains,
downstream to eastern coastal swamplands. Austronesian,
Malayo-Polynesian, Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Malayic, Malay
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mui>
3900000 wry Merwari India Rajasthan, Ajmer, Nagaur
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=wry>
A member of macrolanguage Marwari [mwr
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mwr>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
3800000 myi Mina India Madhya Pradesh, Gwalior, Shivpuri,
Guna, Rajgarh districts, Vidisha District, Sironj Subdivision;
Rajasthan, Jaipur, Alwar, Bharatpur, Sawai Madhopur, Tonk, Bundi, Ajmer
districts. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Unclassified
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=myi>
3691000 fuc Pulaar Senegal Fulbe Jeeri and Toucouleur
primarily in Senegal River Valley and Mauritania; Fulacunda in Upper
Casamance region, west of Kolda to Gambia River headwaters east, from
Senegal south border to Gambian border north. Also in Gambia, Guinea,
Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Mauritania. Arabic script, Ajami style. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Atlantic, Northern, Senegambian,
Fulani-Wolof, Fula, Western
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=fuc>
A member of macrolanguage Fulah [ful
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ful>] (Senegal
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SN>).
3633900 gom Konkani, Goan
incubator-wiktionary,incubator-wikipedia India South coast strip of
Maharashtra, Ratnagari District; Goa; Karnataka; Kerala. Also in Kenya,
United Arab Emirates. Kannada script. Latin script. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Southern zone, Konkani
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=gom>
A member of macrolanguage Konkani [kok
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kok>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
3602000 bem Bemba Zambia North, Copperbelt, and Luapula
provinces. Also in Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Malawi.
Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo,
Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, M, Bemba (M.40)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bem>
3599000 afb Arabic, Gulf Spoken Iraq Zubair area, Fau
Peninsula. Also in Bahrain, Egypt, Iran, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi
Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central,
South, Arabic <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=afb>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
3502300 bjn Banjar Indonesia (Kalimantan) Around Banjarmasin
south and east; East Kalimantan, coastal regions of Pulau Laut, Kutai
and Pasir; Central Kalimantan as far as Sampit. Also in Malaysia
(Sabah). Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Malayo-Sumbawan, North and
East, Malayic, Malay
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bjn>
3500000 bug Bugis incubator-wiktionary,wikipedia Indonesia
(Sulawesi) Western coast of southeast Sulawesi in Kolaka, Wundulako,
Rumbia, and Poleang districts. Also in major towns of Sulawesi. Large
enclaves also in other provinces of Sulawesi, Kalimantan, Maluku, Papua,
and Sumatra; coastal swamp areas such as Bulukumba, Luwu, Polewali in
Polmas, Pasangkayu in Mamuju districts. Also in Malaysia (Sabah).
Buginese script. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, South
Sulawesi, Bugis <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bug>
3405000 bcc Balochi, Southern
incubator-wikiversity,incubator-wikipedia Pakistan South Balochistan,
south Sind, Karachi. Also in Iran, Oman, United Arab Emirates. Arabic
script, Nastaliq style. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western,
Northwestern, Balochi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bcc>
A member of macrolanguage Baluchi [bal
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=bal>] (Pakistan
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PK>).
3330000 ban Bali incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Java and Bali)
Island of Bali, north Nusa Penida, west Lombok Islands, and east Java,
South Sulawesi. Balinese script. Javanese script, no longer in use.
Latin script, used since early 20th century. Austronesian,
Malayo-Polynesian, Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Bali-Sasak-Sumbawa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ban>
3295000 shn Shan incubator-wikipedia Myanmar Shan state,
southeast Myanmar. Kokang Shan is in Kokang area, north Wa area, Shan
state; Tai Mao is on Burma-Yunnan border, centered at Mu’ang Mao Long or
Namkham, Myanmar. Also in China, Thailand. Myanmar (Burmese) script.
Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Southwestern, Northwest
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=shn>
3270000 mzn Mazanderani
incubator-wikinews,incubator-wikibooks,incubator-wikiversity,incubator-wiktionary,incubator-wikiquotes
Iran North near Caspian Sea, south half of Mazanderan Province.
Arabic script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western,
Northwestern, Caspian
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mzn>
3270000 glk Gilaki
incubator-wikinews,incubator-wikibooks,incubator-wikiversity,incubator-wiktionary,incubator-wikiquotes
Iran Gilan region, coastal plain, south of Talish. Galeshi is a
mountain dialect. Arabic script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian,
Western, Northwestern, Caspian
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=glk>
3240500 knc Kanuri, Central Nigeria Borno state, Kukawa, Kaga,
Konduga, Maiduguri, Monguno, Ngala, Bama, Gwoza LGAs; Yobe state, Nguru,
Geidam, Damaturu, Fika, Fune, and Gujba LGAs; Jigawa state, Hadejia LGA.
Also in Cameroon, Chad, Eritrea, Niger, Sudan. Arabic script, Ajami
style. Latin script. Nilo-Saharan, Saharan, Western, Kanuri
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=knc>
A member of macrolanguage Kanuri [kau
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kau>] (Nigeria
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=NG>).
3202600 jam Jamaican Creole English incubator-wikipedia Jamaica
Also in Canada, Costa Rica, Dominican Republic, Panama, United Kingdom,
United States. Creole, English based, Atlantic, Western
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=jam>
3150000 tzm Tamazight, Central Atlas incubator-wikipedia
Morocco Middle Atlas, High Atlas, east High Atlas Mountains. 1,200,000
in rural areas between Taza, Khemisset, Azilal, Errachidia; 100,000
outside language area. Also in Algeria, France. Arabic script. Latin
script. Tifinagh (Berber) script. Afro-Asiatic, Berber, Northern, Atlas
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tzm>
3126000 kab Kabyle incubator-wiktionary Algeria Grande Kabylie
Mt. range, west Kabylia. Lesser Kabyle in Aokas town area. Also in
Belgium, France. Arabic script. Latin script. Tifinagh (Berber)
script. Afro-Asiatic, Berber, Northern, Kabyle
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kab>
3123190 mey Hassaniyya Mauritania Also in Algeria, Libya,
Mali, Morocco, Niger, Senegal, Western Sahara. Latin script.
Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mey>
3100000 czo Chinese, Min Zhong China Central Fujian Province,
Sha County, Yong’an and Sanming municipalities. Sino-Tibetan,
Chinese <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=czo>
A member of macrolanguage Chinese [zho
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zho>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
3090000 vmw Makhuwa Mozambique Nampula, south of Meetto
area. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo,
Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, P, Makua (P.30)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=vmw>
3000000 swv Shekhawati India Rajasthan, Sikar, Jhunjhunun,
Churu districts. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central
zone, Rajasthani, Marwari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=swv>
A member of macrolanguage Marwari [mwr
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mwr>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
3000000 shi Tachelhit
incubator-wikinews,incubator-wikibooks,incubator-wiktionary,incubator-wikipedia
Morocco Southwest, from coast south to Ifni, north to near Agadir,
northeast to Marrakech outskirts, east to Draa, including Sous valley,
and south near the border. Also in Algeria, France. Arabic script.
Tifinagh (Berber) script. Afro-Asiatic, Berber, Northern, Atlas
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=shi>
3000000 sdh Kurdish, Southern incubator-wikipedia Iran Western
Iran, Kermanshah, Ilam provinces; Eastern Iraq border with those
provinces including Xanaqin. Also in Iraq. Arabic script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western, Northwestern, Kurdish
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sdh>
A member of macrolanguage Kurdish [kur
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=kur>] (Iraq
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IQ>).
3000000 kmb Kimbundu Angola Northwest, Luanda Province. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, H, Mbundu (H.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kmb>
3000000 hrx Hunsrik Brazil Widespread with high concentrations
in Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, and Paraná. Also in Argentina,
Chile, Paraguay, Uruguay. Indo-European, Germanic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hrx>
3000000 gdx Godwari India Rajasthan, Jhalor, Sirohi, Pali
districts. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone,
Rajasthani, Marwari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=gdx>
2929200 fuf Pular Guinea Northwest, Fouta Djallon area. Also
in Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Mali, Senegal, Sierra Leone. Arabic script.
Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Atlantic, Northern,
Senegambian, Fulani-Wolof, Fula, West Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=fuf>
A member of macrolanguage Fulah [ful
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ful>] (Senegal
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SN>).
2920000 gbm Garhwali incubator-wikipedia India Uttarakhand;
Tehri Garhwal, Pauri Garhwal, Uttarkashi, Chamoli, Dehra Dun,
Rudraprayag districts; Himachal Pradesh; Tehri and Uttarkash, Jaunpuri
and Ravai. Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Northern zone, Garhwali
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=gbm>
2900000 sid Sidamo Ethiopia South central, Sidamo zone,
northeast of Lake Abaya and southeast of Lake Awasa. Ethiopic script.
Latin script. Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Highland
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sid>
2700000 bew Betawi incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Java and
Bali) Jakarta, Java. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Malayic, Malay, Trade
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bew>
2680000 ins Indian Sign Language India Widespread. Also in
Bangladesh, Pakistan. Deaf sign language
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ins>
2649205 pcc Bouyei incubator-wikipedia China Guizhou-Yunnan
plateau, mainly Buyi-Miao and Miao-Dong autonomous prefectures, Zhenning
and Guanling counties, south and southwest Guizhou; Yunnan Province,
Luoping County; Sichuan Province, Ningnan and Huidong counties. Also in
France, United States, Viet Nam. Latin script. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai,
Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=pcc>
2600000 meo Malay, Kedah Malaysia (Peninsular) Kedah, Penang,
Perlis, and (north) Perak states. Also in Thailand. Austronesian,
Malayo-Polynesian, Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Malayic, Malay
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=meo>
A member of macrolanguage Malay [msa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=msa>] (Malaysia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MY>).
2558800 cpx Chinese, Pu-Xian incubator-wikipedia China East
central Fujian Province, Putian and Xianyou counties. Also in Malaysia
(Peninsular), Singapore. Sino-Tibetan, Chinese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=cpx>
A member of macrolanguage Chinese [zho
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zho>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
2500000 bcl Bicolano, Central incubator-wiktionary Philippines
Luzon, Camarines Norte and Sur, south Catanduanes, north Sorsogon,
Albay. Naga City and Legaspi City are centers. Latin script.
Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Philippine, Greater Central Philippine,
Central Philippine, Bikol, Coastal, Naga
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bcl>
A member of macrolanguage Bikol [bik
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=bik>] (Philippines
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PH>).
2438400 dje Zarma Niger Southwest. Also in Burkina Faso, Mali,
Nigeria. Arabic script, Ajami style. Latin script. Nilo-Saharan,
Songhai, Southern <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=dje>
2380000 ndc Ndau Mozambique South central region, Sofala and
Manica Province, south of Beira. Also in Zimbabwe. Latin script.
Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, S, Shona (S.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ndc>
2360000 kfy Kumaoni incubator-wikipedia India Uttarakhand,
Almora, Nainital, Pithoragarh, Bageshwar, Champawat, Udhamsingh Nagar
districts; Central Kumaoni in Almora and north Nainital; Northeastern
Kumaoni in Pithoragarh; Southeastern Kumaoni in southeast Nainital;
Western Kumaoni west of Almora and Nainital. Devanagari script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Northern zone, Central Pahari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kfy>
2350000 pse Malay, Central incubator-wikipedia Indonesia
(Sumatra) South Sumatra, central Bukit Barisan highlands west to the
Indian ocean along Bengkulu coast, east down Lematang and Ogan river
valleys; south of Muaraenim, east and southeast of Lahat.
Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East,
Malayic, Malay <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=pse>
2330000 nyn Nyankore Uganda Southwest, Bushenyi and Mbarara
districts mainly; Kanungu, Ntungamo, and Rukungiri districts. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, J, Nyoro-Ganda (J.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=nyn>
2320000 sgw Sebat Bet Gurage Ethiopia West Gurage region.
Chaha in Emdibir area; Gura in Gura Megenase and Wirir areas; Muher in
Ch’eza area, mountains north of Chaha and Ezha; Gyeto south of Ark’it’
in K’abul and K’want’e; Ezha in Agenna. Ethiopic script. Afro-Asiatic,
Semitic, South, Ethiopian, South, Outer, tt-Group
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sgw>
2262900 ayr Aymara, Central Bolivia Whole Altiplano west of
eastern Andes. Some migration to yungas and lowlands. Also in Argentina,
Chile, Peru. Latin script. Aymaran
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ayr>
A member of macrolanguage Aymara [aym
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=aym>] (Bolivia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=BO>).
2220000 brh Brahui incubator-wikipedia Pakistan South central,
Quetta and Kalat region, east Baluchistan and Sind provinces. Also in
Afghanistan, Iran, Turkmenistan. Arabic script, Nastaliq style.
Dravidian, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=brh>
2210000 tiv Tiv Nigeria Benue state, Makurdi, Gwer, Gboko
Kwande, Vandeikya, and Katsina Ala LGAs; Plateau state, Lafia LGA;
Taraba state, Bali, Takum, and Wukari LGAs. Also in Cameroon. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Tivoid <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tiv>
2210000 haz Hazaragi incubator-wikipedia Afghanistan Central
mountains between Kabul and Herat (Hazarajat); Kabul, between Maimana
and Sari-Pul; north from immediately south of Ikoh i Baba mountain range
almost to Mazar e Sharif; many refugees. Also in Iran, Pakistan,
Tajikistan. Arabic script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian,
Western, Southwestern, Persian
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=haz>
2130000 bci Baoulé Côte d’Ivoire Central Department,
widespread in the south. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Kwa, Nyo, Potou-Tano, Tano, Central, Bia, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bci>
2120300 guz Ekegusii Kenya Nyanza Province, Kisii District,
south of Kavirondo Gulf. Also in Tanzania. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, E, Kuria (E.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=guz>
2110000 dgo Dogri incubator-wikipedia India Jammu and Kashmir,
Udhampur, Reasi, Kathua, Poonch districts. Arabic script, Nastaliq
style, no longer in use. Devanagari script. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Northern zone, Western Pahari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=dgo>
A member of macrolanguage Dogri [doi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=doi>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
2100000 sas Sasak Indonesia (Nusa Tenggara) Lombok Island.
Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Malayo-Sumbawan, North
and East, Bali-Sasak-Sumbawa, Sasak-Sumbawa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sas>
2100000 bgq Bagri India Punjab, Firozepur District; Rajasthan,
Hanumangarh, Sriganganagar districts; Haryana, Sirsa, Fatehabad
districts. Also in Pakistan. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian,
Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Rajasthani, Unclassified
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bgq>
A member of macrolanguage Rajasthani [raj
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=raj>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
2094200 kru Kurux India Chhattisgarh, Raigarh, Surguja
districts; Jharkhand Ranchi District; West Bengal, Jalpaigiri District;
Bihar; Orissa, Sundargarh, Jharsuguda districts; Assam; Tripura. Also in
Bangladesh, Bhutan. Devanagari script. Dravidian, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kru>
2060000 xog Soga Uganda Central, between lakes Victoria and
Kyoga: Kamuli, Bagiri and Mayuge districts; Kaliro District (Lulamogi
Dialect); Jinja District (Lutenga Dialect); Iganga District, Busiki
County (Lusiki Dialect). Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, J,
Nyoro-Ganda (J.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=xog>
2031800 emk Maninkakan, Eastern Guinea Widespread in upper
region; central, Kankan region; forest region near Liberia. Also in
Liberia, Sierra Leone. Latin script. N’Ko script. Niger-Congo, Mande,
Western, Central-Southwestern, Central, Manding-Jogo, Manding-Vai,
Manding-Mokole, Manding, Manding-East, Southeastern Manding
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=emk>
A member of macrolanguage Mandingo [man
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=man>] (Guinea
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=GN>).
2000000 sxu Saxon, Upper Germany East, southeast, Sachsen with
Dresden, Leipzig, Chemnitz, Halle in Sachsen-Anhalt. Indo-European,
Germanic, West, High German, German, Middle German, East Middle German
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sxu>
2000000 mtr Mewari India Rajasthan, Udaipur, Bhilwara,
Chittoaurgarh districts; Gujarat; Haryana; Delhi; Madhya Pradesh; Uttar
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mtr>
A member of macrolanguage Marwari [mwr
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mwr>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
2000000 iii ii Nuosu incubator-wikipedia China North Yunnan, south
Sichuan, mainly in Greater and Lesser Liangshan mountains. Spoken in
over 40 counties. Latin script. Yi script. Sino-Tibetan,
Tibeto-Burman, Burmic, Ngwi, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=iii>
2000000 btb Beti Cameroon Major part of Center and South
provinces; East Province, Lom-and-Djerem and Upper Nyong divisions.
Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo,
Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Northwest, A, Yaunde-Fang (A.70)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=btb>
2000000 bbc Batak Toba incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Sumatra)
North Sumatra, Samosir Island and east, south, and west of Toba Lake.
Batak script. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Northwest
Sumatra-Barrier Islands, Batak, Southern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bbc>
1980000 zyb Zhuang, Yongbei China Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous
Region, N. Yongning, Hengxian, Bingyang, Wuming, Pingguo. Tai-Kadai,
Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zyb>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1970000 sck Sadri India Jharkhand, Ranchi, Palamau districts;
West Bengal; Orissa; Assam; Madhya Pradesh; Andaman Islands; Nagaland.
Bengali script. Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian,
Indo-Aryan, Eastern zone, Bihari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sck>
1950000 tcy Tulu incubator-wikipedia India Karnataka, South
Kanara (Dakshina Kannada) and Udipi districts; Kerala, Kasargod
District; scattered in other states in India. Kannada script. Tulu
script, philosophical texts and religious verses are sometimes written
in this script. Dravidian, Southern, Tulu
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tcy>
1950000 gno Gondi, Northern India Madhya Pradesh, Betul,
Chhindwara, Seoni, Mandla, Balaghat districts; Maharashtra state,
Amravati, Wardha, Nagpur, Bhandara, Yavatmal districts. Devanagari
script. Dravidian, South-Central, Gondi-Kui, Gondi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=gno>
A member of macrolanguage Gondi [gon
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=gon>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
1930000 wbq Waddar India Andhra Pradesh; Karnataka;
Maharashtra, Jalgaon District. Dravidian, South-Central, Telugu
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=wbq>
1916000 yao Yao Malawi Southeast tip of Lake Malawi area,
bordering Mozambique. Also in Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, P, Yao (P.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=yao>
1900000 quc K’iche’, Central Guatemala Central highlands,
Totonicapán, southern El Quiché, eastern Sololá, eastern Quezaltenango
departments. Latin script. Mayan, Quichean-Mamean, Greater Quichean,
Quichean, Quiche-Achi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=quc>
1900000 bhk Bicolano, Albay Philippines Luzon, west Albay
Province and Buhi, Camarines Sur. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Philippine, Greater Central Philippine, Central Philippine, Bikol,
Inland, Buhi-Daraga
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bhk>
A member of macrolanguage Bikol [bik
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=bik>] (Philippines
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PH>).
1880000 mfp Malay, Makassar Indonesia (Sulawesi) South
Sulawesi, Makassar port area. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Malayic, Malay, Trade
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mfp>
1880000 hno Hindko, Northern Pakistan Hazara Division,
Mansehra and Abbotabad districts, Indus and Kaghan valleys and valleys
of Indus tributaries, NWFP. Arabic script. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Northwestern zone, Lahnda
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hno>
A member of macrolanguage Lahnda [lah
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=lah>] (Pakistan
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PK>).
1860000 ymm Maay Somalia South, Gedo region, Middle and Lower
Shabeelle, Middle and Lower Jubba, Baay, and Bakool regions. Also in
Ethiopia, Kenya, Sudan, United States. Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East,
Somali <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ymm>
1849000 teo Teso incubator-wikipedia Uganda East, Katakwi
(mainly), Soroti, Kaberamaido, Kumi, Pallisa, and Tororo districts.
Lokathan, Madial area, Nangeya Mountains north end. Also in Kenya.
Latin script. Nilo-Saharan, Eastern Sudanic, Nilotic, Eastern,
Lotuxo-Teso, Teso-Turkana, Teso
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=teo>
1840000 zzj Zhuang, Zuojiang China Southwest Guangxi Province,
Tiandeng, Daxin, Chongzuo, Ningming, Longzhou and Pingxiang Jingxi
counties; Yunnan Province, Funing County, a few villages. Also in Viet
Nam. Han (Hanzi, Kanji, Hanja) script. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai,
Tai-Sek, Tai, Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zzj>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1830000 bjq Malagasy, Southern Betsimisaraka Madagascar East
coast, Toamasina Province, Mahanoro District; Fianarantsoa Province,
Nosy Varika, Mananjary, Manakara Atsimo districts. Austronesian,
Malayo-Polynesian, Greater Barito, East, Malagasy
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bjq>
A member of macrolanguage Malagasy [mlg
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mlg>] (Madagascar
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MG>).
1810000 zyn Zhuang, Yongnan China South Guangxi, south
Yongning, Longan, Fusui, Shangsi, Qinzhou and Fangcheng counties; some
in Jingxi County; Yunnan, Funing County. Also in Viet Nam.
Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zyn>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1740000 mer Kimîîru Kenya Eastern Province, Meru District,
northeast of Mt. Kenya. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, E,
Kikuyu-Kamba (E.20), Meru
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mer>
1710000 wbr Wagdi India Rajasthan, south Udaipur, Dungarpur,
Banswara districts; Gujarat, Sabarkantha, Panchmahals; Andhra Pradesh,
Hyderabad. Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Central zone, Bhil <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=wbr>
A member of macrolanguage Rajasthani [raj
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=raj>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
1710000 fuv Fulfulde, Nigerian Nigeria Kano-Katsina, Kano,
Katsina, Zaria, Jos Plateau and southeast to Bauchi, Gombe is center;
Bororro in Bornu state, Maiduguri is center; Sokoto in Sokoto state.
Also in Cameroon, Chad. Arabic script, Ajami style. Latin script.
Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Atlantic, Northern, Senegambian,
Fulani-Wolof, Fula, East Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=fuv>
A member of macrolanguage Fulah [ful
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ful>] (Senegal
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SN>).
1700000 xnr Kangri India Himachal Pradesh, Kangra, Hamirpur,
Una districts. Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian,
Indo-Aryan, Northern zone, Western Pahari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=xnr>
A member of macrolanguage Dogri [doi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=doi>] (India
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=IN>).
1700000 rif Tarifit incubator-wikipedia Morocco North. Dialects
listed are near Al Hoceima. Also in Algeria, Belgium, France, Germany,
Netherlands, Spain. Arabic script. Latin script. Tifinagh (Berber)
script. Afro-Asiatic, Berber, Northern, Zenati, Riff
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=rif>
1690000 avl Arabic, Eastern Egyptian Bedawi Spoken Egypt
Bedouin regions in Sinai; parts of Red Sea coast, almost to south
border; entire east bank. Also in Israel, Jordan, Palestinian West Bank
and Gaza, Syria. Arabic script. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, Central, South,
Arabic <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=avl>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
1637000 lgg Lugbara Uganda Northwest, Arua and Yumbe
districts. Also in Democratic Republic of the Congo. Latin script.
Nilo-Saharan, Central Sudanic, East, Moru-Madi, Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=lgg>
1600000 mak Makasar incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Sulawesi)
South Sulawesi, southwest corner of the peninsula, most of Pangkep,
Maros, Gowa, Bantaeng, Jeneponto, and Takalar districts. Buginese
script. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, South Sulawesi,
Makassar <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mak>
1580000 khn Khandesi India Maharashtra, Dhule District, Sakri
tahsil, Nasik District, Satna tahsil, Nandurbar District, Nandurbar and
Shahada tahsils; Gujarat. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Central zone, Khandesi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=khn>
1580000 cgg Chiga Uganda Extreme southwest: Kanungu, Kabale,
Kisoro, Ntungamo, and Rukungiri districts. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, J, Nyoro-Ganda (J.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=cgg>
1572800 nde nd Ndebele incubator-wikipedia Zimbabwe Matabeleland,
Bulawayo area. Also in Botswana, Zambia. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, S, Nguni (S.40)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=nde>
1560280 unr Mundari India Jharkhand, south and west Ranchi
District; Orissa; Madhya Pradesh; West Bengal; Himachal Pradesh; Assam;
Tripura; Andaman and Nicobar Islands. Also in Bangladesh, Nepal.
Bengali script. Devanagari script. Latin script. Oriya script.
Austro-Asiatic, Munda, North Munda, Kherwari, Mundari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=unr>
1560000 zlj Zhuang, Liujiang China Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous
Region: Liujiang, N. Laibin, Yishan, Liucheng, N. Xincheng.
Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zlj>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1543300 brx Bodo incubator-wikipedia India Assam, mainly in
Darrang, Nagaon, Kamrup districts; also in Goalpara, Sibsagar, Lakhimpur
districts; West Bengal, Darjeeling, Jalpaiguri, Cooch-Behar districts;
Manipur, Chandel (Tengnoupal) District; Meghalaya, West Garo Hills
District, 7 villages in the Tikrikilla block, East Khasi Hills District.
Also in Nepal. Bengali script. Devanagari script. Latin script.
Sino-Tibetan, Tibeto-Burman, Jingpho-Konyak-Bodo, Konyak-Bodo-Garo,
Bodo-Garo, Bodo <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=brx>
1510000 lub lu Luba-Katanga Democratic Republic of the Congo
Katanga Province, Haut-Lomami District. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, L, Luba (L.30)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=lub>
1500000 zgb Zhuang, Guibei China Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous
Region: Longsheng, Sanjiang, Yongfu, Rongan, Rongshui, Luocheng,
Huanjiang, Hechi, Nandan, Tian’e, Donglan, Bama. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai,
Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zgb>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1500000 rhg Rohingya Myanmar Rakhine state. Also in
Bangladesh, Malaysia, Saudi Arabia, Thailand. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Eastern zone, Bengali-Assamese
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=rhg>
1500000 qxq Kashkay incubator-wikipedia Iran Southwest Iran,
Fars and South Kohgiluyeh va Boyerahmad Province. Shiraz, Gachsaran, and
Firuzabad are centers. Arabic script. Altaic, Turkic, Southern,
Azerbaijani <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=qxq>
1500000 quz Quechua, Cusco Peru Departments of Cusco, half of
Puno, and northeast Arequipa. Latin script. Quechuan, Quechua II, C
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=quz>
A member of macrolanguage Quechua [que
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=que>] (Peru
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PE>).
1500000 ngl Lomwe Mozambique Northeast and central, most of
Zambezia Province, south Nampula Province. Prestige center is Alto
Molocue, Zambezia Province. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, P,
Makua (P.30) <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ngl>
1500000 lrc Luri, Northern incubator-wikipedia Iran Western
Iran: central and south Lorestan, north Khuzestan, south Hamadan
Province, south edge of Markazi Province, some regions of Ilam;
Khorramabad, Borujerd, Andimeshk; possibly eastern Iraq. Arabic
script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western, Southwestern,
Luri <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=lrc>
1500000 hoc Ho India Jharkhand, Singhbhum District, Kolhan,
Seraikella, Dhalbhum areas; Orissa, Mayurbhanj, and Koenjhar districts;
West Bengal. Devanagari script, used in Bihar. Oriya script, used in
Orissa. Varang Kshiti script. Austro-Asiatic, Munda, North Munda,
Kherwari, Mundari <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hoc>
1499700 men Mende Sierra Leone South central. Expanding along
the coast and south and east. Also in Liberia. Latin script. Mende
script, little used except for correspondence and record keeping,
especially accounting. Niger-Congo, Mande, Western,
Central-Southwestern, Southwestern, Mende-Loma, Mende-Bandi, Mende-Loko
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=men>
1490000 laj Lango Uganda Central, Apac and Lira districts,
north of Lake Kyoga. Latin script. Nilo-Saharan, Eastern Sudanic,
Nilotic, Western, Luo, Southern, Luo-Acholi, Alur-Acholi, Lango-Acholi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=laj>
1490000 khg Tibetan, Khams China Northeast Tibet, Changdu
(Qamdo) and Naqu (Nagqu) districts; west Sichuan, Ganzi (Garzê) Tibetan
Autonomous Prefecture; northwest Yunnan Province, Diqing (Dêqên) Tibetan
Autonomous Prefecture; southwest Qinghai Province, Yushu Tibetan
Autonomous Prefecture. Tibetan script. Sino-Tibetan, Tibeto-Burman,
Himalayish, Tibeto-Kanauri, Tibetic, Tibetan, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=khg>
1480000 tyz Tày Viet Nam Central and northeast, near the China
border, Cao Bàng, Lang Son, Hà Giang, Tuye Quang, Bác Thái, Quang Ninh,
Hà Bac, Lam Dòng provinces; some settled south in Tung Nghia and Song
Mao. Possibly also in Laos. Also in France, United States. Latin
script. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tyz>
1480000 ksw Karen, S’gaw incubator-wikipedia Myanmar Ayeyawaddy
(Irrawaddy) delta area, Taninthayi (Tenasserim) Division, the Pegu range
between the Irrawaddy and Sittang rivers, the eastern hills Kayin
(Karen) state. Also in Thailand. Latin script, no longer in use.
Myanmar (Burmese) script, Sgaw extensions. Sino-Tibetan, Tibeto-Burman,
Karen, Sgaw-Bghai, Sgaw
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ksw>
1440000 gog Gogo Tanzania Dodoma region; Singida region,
Manyoni District. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, G,
Gogo (G.10) <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=gog>
1435500 fon Fon Benin Zou Province, Atlantic Province, south
Abomey-Calavi and Ouidah Subprefectures; Littoral Province, Cotonou.
Interspersed with other groups south and in towns north. Also in Togo.
Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Kwa, Left Bank,
Gbe, Fon <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=fon>
1430000 noe Nimadi India Madhya Pradesh, Khandwa, Khargone,
Barwani, and south Dhar districts; Uttar Pradesh; Maharashtra.
Devanagari script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central
zone, Rajasthani, Unclassified
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=noe>
1400000 shy Tachawit Algeria Aurès Mountains, south and
southeast of Grand Kabylie. Arabic script, major usage. Latin script,
minor but increasing usage. Tifinagh (Berber) script. Afro-Asiatic,
Berber, Northern, Zenati, Shawiya
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=shy>
1400000 kxm Khmer, Northern Thailand Northeast, mainly Surin,
Sisaket, Buriram, Khorat provinces. Thai script. Austro-Asiatic,
Mon-Khmer, Eastern Mon-Khmer, Khmer
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kxm>
1400000 cqd Miao, Chuanqiandian Cluster China West Guizhou,
west Guangxi, south Sichuan, Yunnan (especially southeast and
northeast). Hmong-Mien, Hmongic, Chuanqiandian
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=cqd>
A member of macrolanguage Hmong [hmn
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=hmn>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1400000 anw Anaang Nigeria Akwa Ibom state, Ikot Ekpene,
Essien Udim, Abak, Ukanafun, and Oruk-Anam LGAs. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Cross River, Delta Cross,
Lower Cross, Obolo, Efik
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=anw>
1391000 mni Meitei incubator-wikipedia India Manipur; Assam,
Cachar, Karimganji; Nagaland; Tripura, West and North Tripura districts;
Uttar Pradesh; West Bengal. Also in Bangladesh, Myanmar. Bengali
script. Meetei Mayek script. Sino-Tibetan, Tibeto-Burman, Meitei
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mni>
1367000 alz Alur Democratic Republic of the Congo Orientale
Province, Mahagi Territory, northwest to Djalasiga area. Also in
Uganda. Latin script. Nilo-Saharan, Eastern Sudanic, Nilotic, Western,
Luo, Southern, Luo-Acholi, Alur-Acholi, Alur
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=alz>
1348000 mgh Makhuwa-Meetto Mozambique Cabo Delgado and Niassa
provinces. Also in Tanzania. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, P, Makua (P.30)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mgh>
1346000 mnk Mandinka Senegal Southeast and south central. Also
in Gambia, Guinea-Bissau. Arabic script. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Mande, Western, Central-Southwestern, Central, Manding-Jogo,
Manding-Vai, Manding-Mokole, Manding, Manding-West
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mnk>
A member of macrolanguage Mandingo [man
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=man>] (Guinea
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=GN>).
1340000 seh Sena Mozambique Northwest, Sofala, Manica, Tete,
and Zambezia provinces, lower Zambezi River region. Latin script.
Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, N, Senga-Sena (N.40), Sena
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=seh>
1340000 kde Makonde Tanzania Mtwara region, primarily Mtwara
Urban, Mtwara Rural, Tandahomba, and Newala districts. Also in
Mozambique. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo,
Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, P, Yao (P.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kde>
1300000 hay Haya Tanzania Kagera region, mainly Bukoba Urban
and Bukoba Rural districts. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, J,
Haya-Jita (J.20) <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hay>
1300000 bhb Bhili incubator-wikipedia India Madhya Pradesh,
Jhabua, Dhar, Ratlam, Indore, Khargone districts; Gujarat, Sabarkantha,
Panchmahals, and Dahod districts. Devanagari script. Gujarati script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Bhil
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bhb>
1280000 xmw Malagasy, Tsimihety Madagascar North central.
Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Greater Barito, East,
Malagasy <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=xmw>
A member of macrolanguage Malagasy [mlg
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mlg>] (Madagascar
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MG>).
1250000 snk Soninke Mali Nioro, Nara, Banamba, Yélémané, Kayes
principal towns. Possibly in Niger. Also in Côte d’Ivoire, Gambia,
Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Mauritania, Senegal. Arabic script. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Mande, Western, Northwestern, Soninke-Bobo,
Soninke-Boso, Soninke
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=snk>
1250000 hea Miao, Northern Qiandong China East and south
Guizhou Province, Majiang, Danzhai, Leishan, Taijiang, Huangping,
Shibing, Jianhe, Zhenyuan, Sansui, Fuquan, Pingba, Zhenning, Xingren,
Anlong, Guanling, Zhenfeng and Ziyun counties, Kaili Qingzhen
municipalities; northwest Guangxi Province, Longlin County.
Hmong-Mien, Hmongic, Qiandong
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=hea>
A member of macrolanguage Hmong [hmn
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=hmn>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1240000 gmo Gamo-Gofa-Dawro Ethiopia Omo region, Arba Minch
area; mountains west to Lake Abaya. Ethiopic script. Latin script.
Afro-Asiatic, Omotic, North, Gonga-Gimojan, Gimojan, Ometo-Gimira,
Ometo, Central <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=gmo>
1230000 wal Wolaytta Ethiopia Wolaytta region, Lake Abaya
area. Ethiopic script. Afro-Asiatic, Omotic, North, Gonga-Gimojan,
Gimojan, Ometo-Gimira, Ometo, Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=wal>
1230000 tem Themne Sierra Leone Northern Province, west of
Sewa River to Little Scarcie. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Atlantic, Southern, Mel, Temne, Temne-Banta
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tem>
1230000 fuh Fulfulde, Western Niger Niger West, Burkina Faso
border east to Dogondoutchi area. Also in Benin, Burkina Faso. Arabic
script, Ajami style. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Atlantic, Northern, Senegambian, Fulani-Wolof, Fula, East Central
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=fuh>
A member of macrolanguage Fulah [ful
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ful>] (Senegal
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SN>).
1229000 dyu Jula incubator-wikipedia Burkina Faso Comoé,
Kénédougou, Houet, and Leraba provinces. Also in Côte d’Ivoire, Mali.
Arabic script. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Mande, Western,
Central-Southwestern, Central, Manding-Jogo, Manding-Vai,
Manding-Mokole, Manding, Manding-East, Northeastern Manding, Bamana
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=dyu>
1215000 ach Acholi incubator-wikipedia Uganda North, Kitgum
District; Adjumani and Pader districts. Also in Sudan. Latin script.
Nilo-Saharan, Eastern Sudanic, Nilotic, Western, Luo, Southern,
Luo-Acholi, Alur-Acholi, Lango-Acholi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ach>
1200000 zeh Zhuang, Eastern Hongshuihe China Guangxi Zhuang
Autonomous Region, south of eastern Hongshuihe River and south of
Qianjiang River, includes south Shanglin, south Xincheng, south Xingbin,
north Guigang, west Guiping and south Wuxuan. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai,
Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai, Northern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zeh>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1200000 vas Vasavi India Maharashtra, Nandurbar District,
Tapti River area; Gujarat, Surat, Bharuch districts, north of Tapti
River in southern areas of Akkalkuwa and Akrani (Dhadgaon) tahsils, a
narrow belt of land between Satpudas and Tapti banks; Satpudas; south of
Tapti in central and north Nandurbar and Nawapur tahsils. Devanagari
script. Gujarati script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan,
Central zone, Gujarati
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=vas>
1200000 bts Batak Simalungun incubator-wikipedia Indonesia
(Sumatra) North, northeast of Lake Toba. Batak script. Latin script.
Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Northwest Sumatra-Barrier Islands,
Batak, Simalungan <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bts>
1200000 btd Batak Dairi incubator-wikipedia Indonesia (Sumatra)
Northern, southwest of Lake Toba around Sidikalang. Batak script.
Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Northwest Sumatra-Barrier Islands,
Batak, Northern <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=btd>
1188000 prk Wa, Parauk Myanmar Northeast Shan state, upper
Salween River area; East Shan state, Kengtung area. Also in China.
Austro-Asiatic, Mon-Khmer, Northern Mon-Khmer, Palaungic, Eastern
Palaungic, Waic, Wa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=prk>
1186000 bej Bedawiyet Sudan Northeast along Red Sea coast.
Also in Egypt, Eritrea. Arabic script. Latin script. Afro-Asiatic,
Cushitic, North <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bej>
1182000 abr Abron Ghana Southwest, northwest of Asante Twi
[aka <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=aka>]. Also in
Côte d’Ivoire. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Kwa, Nyo,
Potou-Tano, Tano, Central, Akan
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=abr>
1180000 tsc Tswa Mozambique South, most of Inhambane Province.
Also in South Africa, Zimbabwe. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, S, Tswa-Ronga (S.50)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tsc>
1162040 pag Pangasinan wikipedia Philippines Pangasinan
Province, Luzon. Also in United States. Latin script. Austronesian,
Malayo-Polynesian, Philippine, Northern Luzon, Meso-Cordilleran,
South-Central Cordilleran, Southern Cordilleran, West Southern
Cordilleran <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=pag>
1161900 srr Serer-Sine Senegal West central; Sine and Saloum
River valleys. Also in Gambia. Arabic script. Latin script.
Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Atlantic, Northern, Senegambian, Serer
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=srr>
1160000 mkw Kituba Congo Mainly between Brazzaville and
Pointe-Noire. Latin script. Creole, Kongo based
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mkw>
1150000 bhi Bhilali India Madhya Pradesh, Khargone (Segaon),
Barwani (Rajpur), southern Jhabua and southern Dhar districts;
Maharashtra, Dhule District; some in Gujarat; Karnataka; Rajasthan.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Central zone, Bhil
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bhi>
1142000 zne Zande Democratic Republic of the Congo Far north
of Orientale Province, Bas-Uele District. Also in Central African
Republic, Sudan. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, North, Adamawa-Ubangi, Ubangi, Zande, Zande-Nzakara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zne>
1142000 tum Tumbuka wikipedia Malawi Northern Province, west
shore of Lake Malawi, south of the Ngonde, north of the Tonga and Ngoni.
Also in Zambia. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, N,
Tumbuka (N.20) <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tum>
1140000 mtq Muong Viet Nam Mostly north central mountains, Hoa
Bình, Thanh Hóa, Vinh Phú, Yen Bai, Son La, Ninh Binh provinces. Latin
script. Austro-Asiatic, Mon-Khmer, Viet-Muong, Muong
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mtq>
1139000 shu Arabic, Chadian Spoken Chad Salamat, Ouaddaï, Wadi
Fira regions, Batha region center and west, much of Chari-Baguirmi;
Mayo-Kebbi; north Tandjilé; Guéra. Also in Cameroon, Central African
Republic, Niger, Nigeria. Arabic script. Latin script. Afro-Asiatic,
Semitic, Central, South, Arabic
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=shu>
A member of macrolanguage Arabic [ara
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ara>] (Saudi Arabia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SA>).
1127000 toi Tonga Zambia Southern and Western provinces. With
Ila [ilb <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ilb>] it
predominates south. Also in Zimbabwe. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, M, Lenje-Tonga (M.60), Tonga
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=toi>
1120000 myx Masaaba Uganda East, Mbale and Sirinko districts,
adjacent to Mount Elgon. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, J,
Masaba-Luyia (J.30)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=myx>
1105000 nyy Nyakyusa-Ngonde Tanzania South Mbeya region, Lake
Malawi north end; Iringa region, Makete District. Also in Malawi. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, M, Nyakyusa (M.30)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=nyy>
1100000 btm Batak Mandailing incubator-wikipedia Indonesia
(Sumatra) North. Batak script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Northwest Sumatra-Barrier Islands, Batak, Southern
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=btm>
1080000 zch Zhuang, Central Hongshuihe China Guangxi Zhuang
Autonomous Region, either side of central stretch of HSH River,
including Du’an, Dahua, Mashan, north Shanglin and possibly other border
areas such as east Pingguo. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek,
Tai, Northern <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zch>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1078200 aar aa Afar
incubator-wikibooks,incubator-wiktionary,incubator-wikipedia Ethiopia
Eastern lowlands, Afar region. May be in Somalia. Also in Djibouti,
Eritrea. Ethiopic script, used in Ethiopia. Latin script.
Afro-Asiatic, Cushitic, East, Saho-Afar
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=aar>
1070000 ndo ng Ndonga incubator-wikipedia,incubator-wikisource
Namibia Ovamboland. Also in Angola. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, R, Ndonga (R.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ndo>
1062000 tsg Tausug incubator-wikipedia Philippines Jolo, Sulu
Archipelago. Palawan Island, Basilan Island, Zamboanga City and
environs. Also in Indonesia (Kalimantan), Malaysia (Sabah). Arabic
script. Latin script. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Philippine,
Greater Central Philippine, Central Philippine, Bisayan, South,
Butuan-Tausug <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tsg>
1060280 sus Susu Guinea Mainly southwest and west. Also in
Guinea-Bissau, Senegal, Sierra Leone. Arabic script. Latin script.
Niger-Congo, Mande, Western, Central-Southwestern, Central, Susu-Yalunka
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sus>
1056400 yom Yombe Democratic Republic of the Congo Western
Bas-Congo Province, Mayombe Forest. Also in Angola, Congo.
Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, H, Kongo (H.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=yom>
1050000 tig Tigré Eritrea Also in Sudan. Ethiopic script.
Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, South, Ethiopian, North
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tig>
1050000 kjp Karen, Pwo Eastern Myanmar Kayin (Karen) state,
Mon state, Taninthayi (Tensserim) Division. Also in Thailand. Leke
script. Myanmar (Burmese) script. Thai script, used in Thailand.
Sino-Tibetan, Tibeto-Burman, Karen, Pwo
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kjp>
1045000 pmu Panjabi, Mirpur India Kashmir, Mirpur area, near
Pakistan border. Possibly in Pakistan. Also in United Kingdom.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Northwestern zone, Lahnda
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=pmu>
A member of macrolanguage Lahnda [lah
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=lah>] (Pakistan
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PK>).
1045000 mas Maasai incubator-wikisource Kenya Rift Valley
Province, Kajiado and Narok districts. Also in Tanzania. Latin
script. Nilo-Saharan, Eastern Sudanic, Nilotic, Eastern, Lotuxo-Teso,
Lotuxo-Maa, Ongamo-Maa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mas>
1045000 kzh Kenuzi-Dongola Sudan North, Northern Province,
mainly Dongola area. North boundary with Nobiin [fia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=fia>] is Burgeg. Also
in Egypt. Arabic script. Coptic script, Old Nubian. Latin script.
Nilo-Saharan, Eastern Sudanic, Eastern, Nubian, Central, Dongolawi
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kzh>
1027900 fan Fang Equatorial Guinea Interior. Also in Cameroon,
Congo, Gabon, São Tomé e Príncipe. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Northwest, A, Yaunde-Fang (A.70)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=fan>
1025000 mxc Manyika Zimbabwe Manicaland Province and adjacent
areas, northeast of Umtali. Also in Mozambique. Latin script.
Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid,
Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, S, Shona (S.10)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mxc>
1016650 nga Ngbaka Democratic Republic of the Congo Equateur
Province, Gemena Territory area. 850 villages. Also in Central African
Republic, Congo. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, North, Adamawa-Ubangi, Ubangi, Gbaya-Manza-Ngbaka, East
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=nga>
1009780 cjk Chokwe Democratic Republic of the Congo Near
Angola border, southeast Bandundu, Kasaï Occidental, and Katanga
provinces. Also in Angola, Namibia, Zambia. Latin script. Niger-Congo,
Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow
Bantu, Central, K, Chokwe-Luchazi (K.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=cjk>
1008500 ffm Fulfulde, Maasina Mali Central. Western in Segou
and Macina areas; Eastern from north of Mopti to Boni east. Also in Côte
d’Ivoire, Ghana. Arabic script, Ajami style. Latin script.
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ffm>
A member of macrolanguage Fulah [ful
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=ful>] (Senegal
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=SN>).
1000000 zgn Zhuang, Guibian China Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous
Region; Fengshan, Tianlin, Longlin, Xilin, Lingyun, Leyun; Yunnan,
Funing, N. Guangnan. Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Be-Tai, Tai-Sek, Tai,
Northern <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=zgn>
A member of macrolanguage Zhuang [zha
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zha>] (China
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=CN>).
1000000 tdx Malagasy, Tandroy-Mahafaly Madagascar South,
Toliara Province, Beloha, Tsihombe, Ambovombe, Bekily districts.
Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Greater Barito, East, Malagasy
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=tdx>
A member of macrolanguage Malagasy [mlg
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mlg>] (Madagascar
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MG>).
1000000 stv Silt’e Ethiopia South of Addis Ababa 150km,
Werabey Town. Ethiopic script. Afro-Asiatic, Semitic, South,
Ethiopian, South, Transversal, Harari-East Gurage
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=stv>
1000000 sop Songe Democratic Republic of the Congo Kasaï
Oriental Province, between Sankuru and Lualaba rivers, mainly Kabinda
zone and east into Katanga Province, Kongolo and Kabolo territories
of. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo,
Benue-Congo, Bantoid, Southern, Narrow Bantu, Central, L, Songye (L.20)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=sop>
1000000 qug Quichua, Chimborazo Highland incubator-wikipedia
Ecuador Central highlands, Chimborazo and Bolivar provinces.
Quechuan, Quechua II, B
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=qug>
A member of macrolanguage Quechua [que
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=que>] (Peru
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=PE>).
1000000 mfa Malay, Pattani incubator-wikipedia Thailand North,
Songkhla (Singgora) Province, Chana (Chenok) region, south through
Pattani, Narathiwat, Yala, Saiburi, Tak Bai. Arabic script. Thai
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mfa>
A member of macrolanguage Malay [msa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=msa>] (Malaysia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MY>).
1000000 mdh Maguindanao Philippines Maguindanao, North
Cotabato, South Cotabato, Sultan Kuderat, and Zamboanga del Sur
provinces; Iranun also in Bukidnon, Mindanao. Latin script.
Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian, Philippine, Greater Central Philippine,
Danao, Magindanao <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=mdh>
1000000 lki Laki Iran Western Iran, Ilam, Lorestan provinces,
cities of Aleshtar, Kuhdesht, Nurabad-e Dolfan, Khorramabad.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western, Northwestern, Kurdish
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=lki>
1000000 kmc Dong, Southern China Area where west Hunan and
north Guangxi provinces meet, southeast Guizhou (Yuping Autonomous
County); Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region. 20 contiguous counties.
Tai-Kadai, Kam-Tai, Kam-Sui
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=kmc>
1000000 jax Malay, Jambi Indonesia (Sumatra) Southeast
Sumatra, Jambi Province. Austronesian, Malayo-Polynesian,
Malayo-Sumbawan, North and East, Malayic, Malay
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=jax>
A member of macrolanguage Malay [msa
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=msa>] (Malaysia
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MY>).
1000000 ijc Izon Nigeria Bayelsa state, Yenagoa, South Ijaw,
Kolokuma-Opokuma, Ekeremor, and Sagbama LGAs; Delta state, Burutu,
Warri, and Ughelli LGAs; Ondo state, Ilaje, Ese-Odo LGAs; Ekiti state,
Ikole LGA. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Ijoid, Ijo, West
Ijo <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=ijc>
1000000 igb Ebira Nigeria Kwara state, Okene, Okehi, and Kogi
LGAs; Nassarawa state, Nasarawa LGA; Edo state, Akoko-Edo LGA. Latin
script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo, Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Nupoid,
Ebira-Gade <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=igb>
1000000 eth Ethiopian Sign Language Ethiopia Deaf sign
language <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=eth>
1000000 diq Dimli incubator-wiktionary Turkey (Asia) East
central, mainly Elazig, Bingol, and Diyarbakir provinces, upper courses
of Euphrates, Kizilirmaq, and Murat rivers. Also in Germany. Latin
script. Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western, Northwestern,
Zaza-Gorani <http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=diq>
A member of macrolanguage Zaza [zza
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=zza>] (Turkey (Asia)
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=TRA>).
1000000 bqi Bakhtiâri incubator-wikipedia Iran Southwest Iran:
west Chahar-Mahal va Bakhtiari, east Khuzestan, east Lorestan, west
Esfahan. Masjed-e Soleiman, Shahr-e Kord, Dorud. Arabic script.
Indo-European, Indo-Iranian, Iranian, Western, Southwestern, Luri
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bqi>
1000000 bmm Malagasy, Northern Betsimisaraka Madagascar East
coast, Toamasina Province, Mananara Avaratra, Soanierana-Ivongo,
Fenoarivo Antsinana, Vavatenina, Toamasina districts. Austronesian,
Malayo-Polynesian, Greater Barito, East, Malagasy
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bmm>
A member of macrolanguage Malagasy [mlg
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_language.asp?code=mlg>] (Madagascar
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_country.asp?name=MG>).
1000000 bin Edo incubator-wikipedia Nigeria Bendel state, Ovia,
Oredo, and Orhionmwon LGAs. Latin script. Niger-Congo, Atlantic-Congo,
Volta-Congo, Benue-Congo, Edoid, North-Central, Edo-Esan-Ora
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bin>
1000000 bfz Pahari, Mahasu India Himachal Pradesh, Shimla
(Simla) and Solan districts. Devanagari script. Indo-European,
Indo-Iranian, Indo-Aryan, Northern zone, Western Pahari
<http://www.ethnologue.com/show_lang_family.asp?code=bfz>

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 01:28 PM, George Herbert wrote:
> Good work generally, but regarding this last list...
>
> Afghanistan has many languages in use (Pashto, Tajik, Hazara, Uzbek);
> Algeria uses Arabic, Berber, and French; Jordan's official language
> is Arabic (though the spoken one is a dialect); and generally so
> forth.
>
> Can you break this out by which languages we are missing, not just by
> country, as country isn't specific enough?

Waiting for list admins to allow ~250k mail :)

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 01:37 PM, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 13:15 +0200, Milos Rancic wrote:
>> * Jin Chinese, 45M, China
>> * Xiang Chinese, 36, China, incubator
>> * Min Bei Chinese, 10.3M, China, incubator
>
> Aren't these languages written with Chinese characters and thus their
> speakers can read and write the Chinese Wikipedia?

Chinese script is logo-syllabic. That means that other Chinese languages
may be different from the standard one in syllabic and syntactic part.

For example, you don't want to write in English phrase like "boy girl
and" (different syntax), as well as it would sound strange to write
"boyf and girlf" for plural (different suffixes/syllables), even the
roots could be written at the same way.

Besides that, two of three languages have incubator projects, which
means that they think that they should have Wikipedia in their languages.

smolensk at eunet

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 14:47 +0200, Milos Rancic wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 01:37 PM, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> > On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 13:15 +0200, Milos Rancic wrote:
> >> * Jin Chinese, 45M, China
> >> * Xiang Chinese, 36, China, incubator
> >> * Min Bei Chinese, 10.3M, China, incubator
> >
> > Aren't these languages written with Chinese characters and thus their
> > speakers can read and write the Chinese Wikipedia?
>
> Chinese script is logo-syllabic. That means that other Chinese languages
> may be different from the standard one in syllabic and syntactic part.

Yea, but how much is any of these different? They may be practically the
same or possible to be added as a variant of Chinese.

smolensk at eunet

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 14:32 +0200, Milos Rancic wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 01:28 PM, George Herbert wrote:
> > Can you break this out by which languages we are missing, not just
> by
> > country, as country isn't specific enough?
>
> Waiting for list admins to allow ~250k mail :)

If only someone would make some website anyone could edit, you could
make such a list there and send us the link :)

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 03:22 PM, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-05-22 at 14:32 +0200, Milos Rancic wrote:
>> On 05/22/2011 01:28 PM, George Herbert wrote:
>>> Can you break this out by which languages we are missing, not just
>> by
>>> country, as country isn't specific enough?
>>
>> Waiting for list admins to allow ~250k mail :)
>
> If only someone would make some website anyone could edit, you could
> make such a list there and send us the link :)

The results are preliminary, raw and with possible errors. On internal-l
I've been informed that Filipino shouldn't be treated as valid Wikimedia
language.

I sent that inside of email to address curiosity. (And I hope that some
good list admin will press the right button :) )

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 03:20 PM, Nikola Smolenski wrote:
> Yea, but how much is any of these different? They may be practically the
> same or possible to be added as a variant of Chinese.

I don't know, but the known fact is that even the languages in the
closest families, like Slavic languages are, have different suffixes,
different usage of prepositions and different meanings of the same words.

church.of.emacs.ml at googlemail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

Hi Milos, thanks for those interesting facts!

On 05/22/2011 01:15 PM, Milos Rancic wrote:
> Those are preliminary results. We have two chapters (and strategic
> focus) in countries of the list above. Inside of the longer list,
> which should be verified, we have more chapters. I noted that there
> are even two languages of Germany without Wikipedia, but with more
> than million of speakers: Mainfränkisch and Upper Saxon (the later
> one without test Wikipedia).

These are German dialects and (I suppose) everyone who speaks them, also
understands German ("hochdeutsche") Wikipedia. Almost all written text
is in German, those dialects are exclusively used in the spoken language
(there might be some rare exceptions).
So I guess while it's fine to have Wikipedia language version in local
dialects of German, it should not be a priority.
Denny's question is key:

On 05/22/2011 01:22 PM, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> Can you also provide at least a rough estimate of the number of
> humans who don't have Wikipedia in any language they speak reasonably
> well (understanding very well that this is a hard problem of
> definition)?

-- Tobias
Attachments: signature.asc (0.26 KB)

andreengels at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 1:15 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:

> Those are preliminary results. We have two chapters (and strategic
> focus) in countries of the list above. Inside of the longer list, which
> should be verified, we have more chapters. I noted that there are even
> two languages of Germany without Wikipedia, but with more than million
> of speakers: Mainfränkisch and Upper Saxon (the later one without test
> Wikipedia).

I think that also shows that this is quite relative. People who speak
Mainfränkisch or Upper Saxon, will use German in more formal
situations; in particular, the great majority will read and write
German more and better than their regional language, even when they
are using the second when talking with their family members or
neighbours. This may well be the case in some of the cases you give
too. Which does not mean we should not include those languages, but it
does mean that it does not have the high priority that "a multi
million language that we do not have" seems to entail.

--
André Engels, andreengels [at] gmail

putevod at mccme

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, 22 May 2011 14:08:14 +0200, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail>
wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 01:22 PM, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
>> Can you also provide at least a rough estimate of the number of humans
>> who don't have Wikipedia in any language they speak reasonably well
>> (understanding very well that this is a hard problem of definition)?
>
> I would say that the number humans without Wikipedia in any language
> they speak is below "statistical error": 2% of 7 billions is 140
> millions and I don't think that there are more than let's say, 50
millions.

Are there any data available on the literacy? I guess illiterate people
can hardlu use Wikipedia, and the number of literate speakers of some of
these languages can well be below the million.

Cheers
Yaroslav

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 04:57 PM, Yaroslav M. Blanter wrote:

> On Sun, 22 May 2011 14:08:14 +0200, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail>
> wrote:
>> On 05/22/2011 01:22 PM, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
>>> Can you also provide at least a rough estimate of the number of humans
>>> who don't have Wikipedia in any language they speak reasonably well
>>> (understanding very well that this is a hard problem of definition)?
>>
>> I would say that the number humans without Wikipedia in any language
>> they speak is below "statistical error": 2% of 7 billions is 140
>> millions and I don't think that there are more than let's say, 50
>> millions.
>
> Are there any data available on the literacy? I guess illiterate people
> can hardlu use Wikipedia, and the number of literate speakers of some of
> these languages can well be below the million.

Just data (Ethnologue's "Language development" field) for the mentioned
languages (without Filipino). Comments tomorrow.

* Jin Chinese, 45M, China; Literacy rate in L2 (I suppose, Standard
Chinese): 91%.
* Haryanvi, 38M, India, incubator; Literacy rate in L2: 55% Hindi.
Dictionary. Bible portions: 2001.
* Xiang Chinese, 36, China, incubator; Literacy rate in L2: 91%.
* Maithili, 34M, India, incubator; Literacy rate in L1: 25%–50%.
Literacy rate in L2: 25%–50%. If they can read Nepali or Hindi, they can
read Maithili. The educated read Hindi, Nepali, or English books for
pleasure. Some literacy work in India. Poetry. Magazines. Newspapers.
Radio programs. Films. TV. Dictionary. Grammar.
* Nigerian Pidgin, 30M, Nigeria, incubator; Poetry. Radio programs. TV.
Dictionary. Grammar. Bible portions: 1957.
* Chhattisgarhi, 17.5M, India, incubator; Poetry. Newspapers. Radio
programs. TV. NT: 2005.
* Rangpuri, 15M, Bangladesh; Dictionary. Grammar.
* Seraiki, 13.8M, Pakistan, incubator; Literacy rate in L1: Below 1%.
Literacy rate in L2: 5%–15%. Radio programs. TV. Dictionary. Grammar.
NT: 1819.
* Madura, 13.6M, Indonesia, incubator; Literacy rate in L2: 40%.
Literacy higher among Bangkalon. Grammar. Bible: 1994.
* Haryanvi, 13M, India; Literacy rate in L2: 55% Hindi. Dictionary.
Bible portions: 2001.
* Deccan, 12.8M, India; <nothing>
* Malvi, 10.4M, India; Literacy rate in L2: 58% for rural Madhya
Pradesh. Government project discontinued due to low response. Poetry.
Radio programs. Dictionary. NT: 1826.
* Min Bei Chinese, 10.3M, China, incubator; Literacy rate in L2: 91%.
NT: 1934.
* Sylheti, 10.3M, Bangladesh; Literacy rate in L2: 35%. Educated can
read Bengali. Few women are educated. Bible portions: 1993.

morton.thomas at googlemail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

An interesting "aside" on this would be...

What is the quality of the foreign-language Wiki's that currently exist. For
example; the articles in my specific technical topic area have a few foreign
language equivalents. Most are two or three lines.

It would be interesting to see this question expanded to "what number of
languages with more than 1M readers do not have a Wikipedia with a
reasonable depth of coverage".

Tom

millosh at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On 05/22/2011 06:41 PM, Thomas Morton wrote:
> An interesting "aside" on this would be...
>
> What is the quality of the foreign-language Wiki's that currently exist. For
> example; the articles in my specific technical topic area have a few foreign
> language equivalents. Most are two or three lines.
>
> It would be interesting to see this question expanded to "what number of
> languages with more than 1M readers do not have a Wikipedia with a
> reasonable depth of coverage".

I haven't understood you. Articles in English Wikipedia are very good
and English is a foreign language.

andreengels at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 11:18 PM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
> On 05/22/2011 06:41 PM, Thomas Morton wrote:
>> An interesting "aside" on this would be...
>>
>> What is the quality of the foreign-language Wiki's that currently exist. For
>> example; the articles in my specific technical topic area have a few foreign
>> language equivalents. Most are two or three lines.
>>
>> It would be interesting to see this question expanded to "what number of
>> languages with more than 1M readers do not have a Wikipedia with a
>> reasonable depth of coverage".
>
> I haven't understood you. Articles in English Wikipedia are very good
> and English is a foreign language.

That answers the question for one language (although using an
unfounded sweeping generalisation - I am pretty sure that not _all_
articles in the English Wikipedia are 'very good'), leaves 280
languages (or 279 if you consider one of them not a foreign language)
to answer the question for.

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

On Sun, May 22, 2011 at 5:30 AM, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:
>(excellent long form work)

Thank you, Milos. Very informative.

Out of curiosity - I assume those are the "native speakers" counts for
that language. Do we have "exclusive speakers" counts as well?

I don't know for sure what the right answer is to this, but one could
assert and consider that we may want to preferentially support those
who don't speak a more common national language that already has
content.

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert [at] gmail

morton.thomas at googlemail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia in their native language [In reply to]

Sorry Milos, systematic bias at work there :)

I mean... English Wikipedia has the largest collection of content, and on
average I would guess that the content is of a higher, or at least a more
complete, quality than most other language wiki's. Computer forensics... is
relatively decent on en-wp; it has a number of foreign language equivilants
but none of them are of particular length or completeness.

What I am really saying is.. alongside the figures of how many language
Wiki's we are missing should be a figure of how many language Wiki's don't
yet constitute a reasonably detailed encyclopaedia.

Just theorizing on a related topic :)

Tom

On 22 May 2011 22:18, Milos Rancic <millosh [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 05/22/2011 06:41 PM, Thomas Morton wrote:
> > An interesting "aside" on this would be...
> >
> > What is the quality of the foreign-language Wiki's that currently exist.
> For
> > example; the articles in my specific technical topic area have a few
> foreign
> > language equivalents. Most are two or three lines.
> >
> > It would be interesting to see this question expanded to "what number of
> > languages with more than 1M readers do not have a Wikipedia with a
> > reasonable depth of coverage".
>
> I haven't understood you. Articles in English Wikipedia are very good
> and English is a foreign language.

jokarwilis2005 at gmail

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia intheir native language [In reply to]

My blog is my hobby....

http://sdgunung03.blogspot.com

Powered by Telkomsel BlackBerry

Re: 1.3 billion of humans don't have Wikipedia intheir native language [In reply to]

My blog is my hobby