Baidu Baike & Wikipedia 百度百科與維基百科 (英文)

waihorace at yahoo

Baidu Baike & Wikipedia 百度百科與維基百科 (英文)

Dear all,

Some discussion about the Baidu Baike copy the content from Wikipedia is now on
Chinese Wikipedia Village Pump.

1.
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E4%BA%92%E5%8A%A9%E5%AE%A2%E6%A0%88/%E6%96%B9%E9%92%88#.E5.AF.B9.E4.BA.8E.E5.A4.A7.E9.87.8F.E6.8A.84.E8.A2.AD.E7.BB.B4.E5.9F.BA.E7.99.BE.E7.A7.91.E6.9D.A1.E7.9B.AE.E7.9A.84.E7.99.BE.E5.BA.A6.E7.99.BE.E7.A7.91.E7.94.A8.E6.88.B7.E6.98.AF.E5.90.A6.E5.BA.94.E8.AF.A5.E8.BF.BD.E7.A9.B6.E6.B3.95.E5.BE.8B.E8.B4.A3.E4.BB.BB.EF.BC.9F

Some Baidu user copy a lot of content from Wikipedia, should them be prosecuted?

A user suggest that the Wikimedia Foundation prosecute the Baidu company and
request for remove or a large amount of money (donate to Wikimedia Foundation),
and have a advertisment on at least 10 newspaper/radio/TV for saying sorry to
Wikipedia.

2.
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E4%BA%92%E5%8A%A9%E5%AE%A2%E6%A0%88/%E5%85%B6%E4%BB%96#.E7.99.BE.E5.BA.A6.E7.99.BE.E7.A7.91.E7.9A.84.E6.89.80.E4.BD.9C.E6.89.80.E7.82.BA

About Baidu Baike

Some wikipedian said in China law, no clear solution can be make. Also, some
people advice the WMF to use the
http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:%E7%99%BE%E5%BA%A6%E7%99%BE%E7%A7%91%E5%B0%8D%E7%B6%AD%E5%9F%BA%E7%99%BE%E7%A7%91%E7%9A%84%E4%BE%B5%E6%AC%8A/%E5%88%97%E8%A1%A8 [list]
to prosecute or take action to Baidu company & Baidu Baike editor. I give a
comment that send a wikipedian-signed letter to Baidu and request them to take
action. Someone suggest that Wikimedia Taiwan to talk with the related
organization and try to solve the problem.

3. Talk about the "Is it possible to fund the Wikimedia China?"

Thank you for your attention.

HW
Editor of Chinese Wikipedia
----
Key words for wikizh-l people:

Baidu Baike = In Chinese 百度百科, the encyclopedia by a internet search website
Baidu, the no.1 website in China.
Wikimedia Taiwan = In Chinese 中華民國維基媒體協會, the wikimedia local assoication in
Taiwan. Approved by WMF
Village Pump = In Chinese 互助客棧
Wikimedia Foundation = In Chinese 維基媒體基金會

dana.lutenegger at gmail

Re: Baidu Baike & Wikipedia ʫצʬPʬ (^) [In reply to]

Actually, I'm pretty sure that on paper, Chinese law forbids this kind of
copying without attribution. The issue is whether or not it can be enforced
in practice. If it was strictly enforced, a lot of Baidu Baike and Hudong
Wiki would have to be seriously retooled, so I doubt it. However, there have
been recent cases in which copyright infringement claims have been upheld by
Chinese courts, such as the infamous "Starbuck" coffee chain in Shanghai. I
think that our legal counsel should at least be in touch with Baidu on this,
and perhaps try to get them to take down the material, attribute it
properly, or agree to the donation or apology letter ideas.

thomas.dalton at gmail

Re: Baidu Baike & Wikipedia 百度百科與維基百科 (英文) [In reply to]

2011/4/19 Dana Lutenegger <dana.lutenegger [at] gmail>:
> Actually, I'm pretty sure that on paper, Chinese law forbids this kind of
> copying without attribution. The issue is whether or not it can be enforced
> in practice. If it was strictly enforced, a lot of Baidu Baike and Hudong
> Wiki would have to be seriously retooled, so I doubt it. However, there have
> been recent cases in which copyright infringement claims have been upheld by
> Chinese courts, such as the infamous "Starbuck" coffee chain in Shanghai. I
> think that our legal counsel should at least be in touch with Baidu on this,
> and perhaps try to get them to take down the material, attribute it
> properly, or agree to the donation or apology letter ideas.

The Starbuck case would be trademark infringement, not copyright, so
isn't a particularly useful precedent. I believe China has similar
copyright laws to the rest of the world, though (our article says they
have signed several international agreements on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China
).

Keep in mind, the WMF isn't the copyright holder, so there is a limit
to what the WMF's legal counsel can do. He could have a quiet word,
though, which could help.

rcheol at gmail

Re: Baidu Baike & Wikipedia 百度百科與維基百科 (英文) [In reply to]

RIght, WMF is not the copyright holder of articles as Free Software
Foundation is not of GPLed source codes.

Though WMF could give legal help for a Wikipedian to file a law suit or WMF
could be an agent for the Wikipedian,
WMF need to approach Baidu to discuss about attribution. I don't think Baidu
has so much difficulties to do it.

Cheol

2011/4/19 Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton [at] gmail>

> 2011/4/19 Dana Lutenegger <dana.lutenegger [at] gmail>:
> > Actually, I'm pretty sure that on paper, Chinese law forbids this kind of
> > copying without attribution. The issue is whether or not it can be
> enforced
> > in practice. If it was strictly enforced, a lot of Baidu Baike and Hudong
> > Wiki would have to be seriously retooled, so I doubt it. However, there
> have
> > been recent cases in which copyright infringement claims have been upheld
> by
> > Chinese courts, such as the infamous "Starbuck" coffee chain in Shanghai.
> > think that our legal counsel should at least be in touch with Baidu on
> this,
> > and perhaps try to get them to take down the material, attribute it
> > properly, or agree to the donation or apology letter ideas.
>
> The Starbuck case would be trademark infringement, not copyright, so
> isn't a particularly useful precedent. I believe China has similar
> copyright laws to the rest of the world, though (our article says they
> have signed several international agreements on the subject:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China
> ).
>
> Keep in mind, the WMF isn't the copyright holder, so there is a limit
> to what the WMF's legal counsel can do. He could have a quiet word,
> though, which could help.

wing.philopp at gmx

Re: Baidu Baike & Wikipedia 百度百科與維基百科 (英文) [In reply to]

Hello,

Fact is that Baidu doesn't care. We don't know who backs Baidu in China
but with its prominent position it cannot be anyone very small. Maybe
some of you remember that a few months ago there were media coverage
about Hudong is going to sue Baidu because of copyright infringement,
but that also just disappeared somewhere in the Chinese juristiction
system. Rumor say that Hudong did it only to get some publicity. At this
moment there is no point to sue Baidu, neither for any Wikipedian nor
for WMF.

Greetings
Ting

On 21.04.2011 06:16, wrote RYU Cheol:
> RIght, WMF is not the copyright holder of articles as Free Software
> Foundation is not of GPLed source codes.
>
> Though WMF could give legal help for a Wikipedian to file a law suit or WMF
> could be an agent for the Wikipedian,
> WMF need to approach Baidu to discuss about attribution. I don't think Baidu
> has so much difficulties to do it.
>
> Cheol
>
> 2011/4/19 Thomas Dalton<thomas.dalton [at] gmail>
>
>> 2011/4/19 Dana Lutenegger<dana.lutenegger [at] gmail>:
>>> Actually, I'm pretty sure that on paper, Chinese law forbids this kind of
>>> copying without attribution. The issue is whether or not it can be
>> enforced
>>> in practice. If it was strictly enforced, a lot of Baidu Baike and Hudong
>>> Wiki would have to be seriously retooled, so I doubt it. However, there
>> have
>>> been recent cases in which copyright infringement claims have been upheld
>> by
>>> Chinese courts, such as the infamous "Starbuck" coffee chain in Shanghai.
>>> think that our legal counsel should at least be in touch with Baidu on
>> this,
>>> and perhaps try to get them to take down the material, attribute it
>>> properly, or agree to the donation or apology letter ideas.
>> The Starbuck case would be trademark infringement, not copyright, so
>> isn't a particularly useful precedent. I believe China has similar
>> copyright laws to the rest of the world, though (our article says they
>> have signed several international agreements on the subject:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellectual_property_in_the_People%27s_Republic_of_China
>> ).
>>
>> Keep in mind, the WMF isn't the copyright holder, so there is a limit
>> to what the WMF's legal counsel can do. He could have a quiet word,
>> though, which could help.

Ting

Ting's Blog: http://wingphilopp.blogspot.com/

gerard.meijssen at gmail

Re: Baidu Baike & Wikipedia 百度百科與維基百科 (英文) [In reply to]

Hoi,
The best thing regarding the Chinese Wikipedia is that the last few months
the traffic has been growing astoundingly. This to an extend where in
traffic Chinese is now the tenth wikipedia in traffic.

In the end it is not about Baidu, it is about bringing great NPOV
information to the Chinese. When Baidu abuses our content and we continue to
grow in traffic I could not care less. Yes, it is copyright infringement and
all of us do not have "illegal" copies of music or movies on any of our
electronic devices.
Thanks,
GerardM

http://stats.wikimedia.org/EN/TablesPageViewsMonthly.htm