Anti-vandalism bot census

emijrp at gmail

Nov 29, 2010, 5:35 AM

Anti-vandalism bot census

Hi all;

I'm creating a census[1] with all the anti-vandalism bots in the Wikimedia
projects history. I want to research the features and techniques used in all
these past years. I need your help for compiling all the nicks of those
bots. You can help adding info to the page, but if you don't have free time
for that, write only the nickname and I will retrieve all the available info
about the bot.

With the currently available information, I have found two main categories
of anti-vandalism bots:
* First generation: simple scoring systems based in regular expressions and
heuristics.
* Second generation: machine learning, neural networks and bayesian filters.

Have you got suggestions to this classification? What is your opinion about
the past and the future of anti-vandalism bots? Can FlaggedRevs and similar
approaches make these bots useless?

Thanks,
emijrp

[1]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Emijrp/Anti-vandalism_bot_census#Census

emijrp at gmail

Nov 30, 2010, 5:01 AM

Re: Anti-vandalism bot census [In reply to]

Thanks to Cobi, Arkanosis and Andrew West for adding some bots and tools to
the census. If you have information about anti-vandalism bots in your local
language Wikipedia, please, notice me.

At the moment, ClueBot NG is the only bot which uses neural networks. The
second generation of bots is coming. : O

Regards,
emijrp

2010/11/29 emijrp <emijrp [at] gmail>

> Hi all;
>
> I'm creating a census[1] with all the anti-vandalism bots in the Wikimedia
> projects history. I want to research the features and techniques used in all
> these past years. I need your help for compiling all the nicks of those
> bots. You can help adding info to the page, but if you don't have free time
> for that, write only the nickname and I will retrieve all the available info
> about the bot.
>
> With the currently available information, I have found two main categories
> of anti-vandalism bots:
> * First generation: simple scoring systems based in regular expressions and
> heuristics.
> * Second generation: machine learning, neural networks and bayesian
> filters.
>
> Have you got suggestions to this classification? What is your opinion about
> the past and the future of anti-vandalism bots? Can FlaggedRevs and similar
> approaches make these bots useless?
>
> Thanks,
> emijrp
>
> [1]
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Emijrp/Anti-vandalism_bot_census#Census

innocentkiller at gmail

Nov 30, 2010, 6:16 AM

Re: Anti-vandalism bot census [In reply to]

On Mon, Nov 29, 2010 at 8:35 AM, emijrp <emijrp [at] gmail> wrote:
> I need your help for compiling all the nicks of those
> bots. You can help adding info to the page, but if you don't have free time
> for that, write only the nickname and I will retrieve all the available info
> about the bot.

MartinBot is missing, but it's was a clone of VoABot III, not sure how
you want to list that.

There was another anti-vandal bot I remember someone running back
in '05 or so when I joined, but I can't remember the name of it to save
my life.

-Chad

innocentkiller at gmail

Nov 30, 2010, 6:24 AM

Re: Anti-vandalism bot census [In reply to]

On Tue, Nov 30, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Chad <innocentkiller [at] gmail> wrote:
> MartinBot is missing, but it's was a clone of VoABot III, not sure how
> you want to list that.
>
> There was another anti-vandal bot I remember someone running back
> in '05 or so when I joined, but I can't remember the name of it to save
> my life.
>
> -Chad

Yeah you can ignore that, I missed the note near the bottom about
all the AVBOT clones.

And the one I couldn't remember the name of was Tawkerbot2.

-Chad