Report from Day 1 of technical testing

pbeaudette at wikimedia

Nov 13, 2010, 7:17 AM

Report from Day 1 of technical testing

Almost 22 hours ago, we turned on the 2010-11 contribution campaign for a weekend of functional testing prior to launch.

We launched cleanly, I'm pleased to say - there were a few initial hiccups (around the size of the graphic used in the banner, and our ability to pull numbers out of the database for reporting) but they're resolved or being resolved nicely. The new cluster of servers for supporting the traffic is behaving nicely.

In the last 22 hours, we've accepted about $510,000 directly to the Foundation. I don't yet have numbers from the chapters to report. The Foundation's donors alone represent nearly 19,000 individual donors.

We launched with three graphic banners, and are pleased with the performance of all of them: we're putting together detailed numbers now and will, as always, report them publicly on the fundraising pages on meta at [[m:FR2010]].

On the whole, a successful start to the testing period, as we anticipate the actual Monday launch.

Today we'll be testing banners requested by some chapters, as well as continuing with the "Personal Appeal from Jimmy Wales". We're using today and tomorrow to refine and hone systems.

I encourage you to check out the donation pages, particularly in non-English, non-US localities, and send your feedback (you can send it directly to me if you'd like) so that we can get them optimized. If you're in an area in which a chapter has control over the donation pages, I'll pass your feedback on to them, or you can write them directly.

Thanks, everyone, for bearing with us as we get this thing up and going. I'm very pleased with the performance so far, but as we're still in technical tests, please be on the lookout for anything unusual and report it either by email or in the #wikimedia-fundraising IRC channel.

Philippe

_______________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.

pbeaudette [at] wikimedia

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share
in the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

http://donate.wikimedia.org

agarrett at wikimedia

Nov 13, 2010, 4:27 PM

Re: Report from Day 1 of technical testing [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Philippe Beaudette
<pbeaudette [at] wikimedia> wrote:
> In the last 22 hours, we've accepted about $510,000 directly to the Foundation.  I don't yet have numbers from the chapters to report.  The Foundation's donors alone represent nearly 19,000 individual donors.

My congratulations to Philippe, the rest of the community team at the
Foundation, and all of the volunteers who have helped get the
fundraiser to this stage.

For us to earn $516,882 on the very first full day of the fundraiser
(a pre-launch day no less) is nothing short of outstanding; and, if my
suspicions are correct, it's not going to be the biggest day of the
fundraiser, either.

So congratulations, and keep up the good work! I and many others will
be watching and hoping that you can make our launch day a Million
Dollar Monday.

--
Andrew Garrett
http://werdn.us/

janbart at wikimedia

Nov 14, 2010, 5:20 AM

Re: Report from Day 1 of technical testing [In reply to]

What he said :)

Jan-Bart de Vreede

On Nov 14, 2010, at 1:27 AM, Andrew Garrett wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Philippe Beaudette
> <pbeaudette [at] wikimedia> wrote:
>> In the last 22 hours, we've accepted about $510,000 directly to the Foundation. I don't yet have numbers from the chapters to report. The Foundation's donors alone represent nearly 19,000 individual donors.
>
> My congratulations to Philippe, the rest of the community team at the
> Foundation, and all of the volunteers who have helped get the
> fundraiser to this stage.
>
> For us to earn $516,882 on the very first full day of the fundraiser
> (a pre-launch day no less) is nothing short of outstanding; and, if my
> suspicions are correct, it's not going to be the biggest day of the
> fundraiser, either.
>
> So congratulations, and keep up the good work! I and many others will
> be watching and hoping that you can make our launch day a Million
> Dollar Monday.
>
> --
> Andrew Garrett
> http://werdn.us/

bodnotbod at gmail

Nov 14, 2010, 12:41 PM

Re: Report from Day 1 of technical testing [In reply to]

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:27 AM, Andrew Garrett <agarrett [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> My congratulations to Philippe, the rest of the community team at the
> Foundation, and all of the volunteers who have helped get the
> fundraiser to this stage.

Yep, well done to the team, it's a fab start.

Looking at the stats, it took over 40 days, in 2007, to raise as much
as we have so far this year.

I expect there's quite a few Wikipedians who have stuff planned who
haven't even begun to do their solo efforts yet; I plan to send
individual messages to friends and family and won't start on that til
tomorrow.

Bodnotbod