Yesha Council prapares to war on Wikipedia?

polimerek at gmail

Aug 19, 2010, 2:10 AM

Yesha Council prapares to war on Wikipedia?

Yesha Council prapares to war on Wikipedia?

See:

http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/the-right-s-latest-weapon-zionist-editing-on-wikipedia-1.308667

any comments?

Anyway, I checked the entry "Jewish family" in English Wikipedia and
it is just a redir to "Judaism" which is IMHO (at least at the moment)
well balanced article.

--
Tomek "Polimerek" Ganicz
http://www.ganicz.pl/poli/

dgerard at gmail

Aug 19, 2010, 3:12 AM

Re: Yesha Council prapares to war on Wikipedia? [In reply to]

On 19 August 2010 10:10, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek [at] gmail> wrote:

> Yesha Council prapares to war on Wikipedia?
> See:
> http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/the-right-s-latest-weapon-zionist-editing-on-wikipedia-1.308667
> any comments?

It made the Guardian as well.

Despite the media attention, I don't think the integrity of the
encyclopedias' content is in any danger at all, and I don't think this
is any sort of special case of activist attention.

Wikipedia gets waves of activists and is used to dealing with them.
The ones who don't take the time to understand Neutral Point Of View,
their stuff gets removed. The ones who do, their stuff stays and their
cause gets accurately described and represented. Best case, we get
more good new Wikipedians.

This applies to any activist for any cause whatsoever and has applied
at least since I started on en:wp in 2004.

The advice I have for activists is: strict neutrality with excellent
citations will do your cause justice. Everything else will be removed.

The broader advice is: there is no plausible attack on the integrity
of the encyclopedias themselves that is not already something we are
quite used to dealing with on a daily basis for many years :-)

- d.

asaf.bartov at gmail

Aug 19, 2010, 5:30 AM

Re: Yesha Council prapares to war on Wikipedia? [In reply to]

David put it well. Surely this is not the first time it happens.

Indeed, some Hebrew Wikipedians have even approached that group in order to
explain the principles of Wikipedia to them -- some would-be vandal-editors
would be deterred, some would be won over, and some would nevertheless go on
and bias entries etc., but as usual, the WP community is vigilant, and has
means to counter such initiatives.

We hope to win at least a few motivated editors, despite the unpleasant
political overtones.

Asaf Bartov
Wikimedia Israel

On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 1:12 PM, David Gerard <dgerard [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 19 August 2010 10:10, Tomasz Ganicz <polimerek [at] gmail> wrote:
>
> > Yesha Council prapares to war on Wikipedia?
> > See:
> >
> http://www.haaretz.com/print-edition/news/the-right-s-latest-weapon-zionist-editing-on-wikipedia-1.308667
> > any comments?
>

> It made the Guardian as well.
>
> Despite the media attention, I don't think the integrity of the
> encyclopedias' content is in any danger at all, and I don't think this
> is any sort of special case of activist attention.
>
> Wikipedia gets waves of activists and is used to dealing with them.
> The ones who don't take the time to understand Neutral Point Of View,
> their stuff gets removed. The ones who do, their stuff stays and their
> cause gets accurately described and represented. Best case, we get
> more good new Wikipedians.
>
> This applies to any activist for any cause whatsoever and has applied
> at least since I started on en:wp in 2004.
>
> The advice I have for activists is: strict neutrality with excellent
> citations will do your cause justice. Everything else will be removed.
>
> The broader advice is: there is no plausible attack on the integrity
> of the encyclopedias themselves that is not already something we are
> quite used to dealing with on a daily basis for many years :-)
>

> - d.

Asaf Bartov <asaf.bartov [at] gmail>