Fwd: [Wikimedia Announce] Note from the Board Chair

jwalsh at wikimedia

Jul 8, 2010, 2:10 PM

Fwd: [Wikimedia Announce] Note from the Board Chair

(sending on behalf of Ting)

Dear friends,

Today, here in Gdansk, at the meeting of the Board of Trustees during the sixth annual Wikimania Conference, the Board made some important changes. I'm pleased to share this news with you. The Foundation will be issuing a public announcement shortly as well.

Every year at Wikimania, the Wikimedia Board appoints its officers for the coming year. This year we have changes to each of the Officer roles. As of today's meeting, I was fortunate to be appointed Chair of the Board - and I'm grateful to have the support of the Board in this new role.. Stuart West was appointed Vice-chair (and continues as Board Treasurer), and Samuel Klein becomes Board Secretary.

Also, the Wikimedia chapters have made their selections for the two chapters-selected Board seats. Arne Klempert has been reappointed to his seat, and Phoebe Ayers has also been appointed to join the Board.

This means that Michael Snow will be leaving the Board: he has been invited to join the Advisory Board, and the Board warmly thanks him for his service.

Michael Snow has been a tireless and dedicated leader of this Board, and the whole Wikimedia movement, over the past two years. I want to express my sincere thanks to him on behalf of the Board and all of the Wikimedia community. I am also excited to congratulate and welcome Phoebe Ayers to the Board, and also to congratulate Arne Klempert for his re-appoitment to the Board in a Chapter-appointed seat.

There are 10 seats on the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees and according to the Foundation's bylaws, three members are elected by the Wikimedia community, two members are selected by the Wikimedia chapters, a Community Founder seat held by Jimmy Wales, and four members appointed by the Board itself to provide additional, specific expertise. Currently all seats on the Board of Trustees are filled.

This is the first time that the official Chapters selection process has been carried out. Members of Wikimedia's global chapters, made a call for nominations for new members and voted to elect their two members. In this year's election nine candidates from the Wikimedia community originally stepped forward. Two of those candidates stepped out of the process, leaving seven candidates for selection by the Chapters.

All of the officer appointments are effective immediately, and we are pleased to welcome Phoebe to the Board right away.

I'd like to thank the Chapters for their thoughtful work in convening a process and carrying out their voting process. I would also like to thank all of the candidates who stepped forward for with their nominations.

I'm looking forward to an incredible year ahead. We have an ambitious plan for the Foundation and the projects over the next year, and we have a tremendous group to tackle a busy year ahead.

Sincerely,
Ting

--
Ting Chen
Chair of the Board of Trustees

Please note: all replies sent to this mailing list will be immediately directed to Foundation-L, the public mailing list about the Wikimedia Foundation and its projects. For more information about Foundation-L:

aude.wiki at gmail

Jul 8, 2010, 3:33 PM

Re: Fwd: [Wikimedia Announce] Note from the Board Chair [In reply to]

On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:10 PM, Jay Walsh <jwalsh [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> (sending on behalf of Ting)
>
> Dear friends,
>
> [snip]

> Also, the Wikimedia chapters have made their selections for the two
> chapters-selected Board seats. Arne Klempert has been reappointed to his
> seat, and Phoebe Ayers has also been appointed to join the Board.

Congratulations Phoebe! Glad to have you on the board, and have Arne
continue as board member and Ting as board chair.

> This means that Michael Snow will be leaving the Board: he has been invited
> to join the Advisory Board, and the Board warmly thanks him for his service.

Thanks Michael for serving as Board chair for the past two years.

Michael Snow has been a tireless and dedicated leader of this Board, and the
> whole Wikimedia movement, over the past two years. I want to express my
> sincere thanks to him on behalf of the Board and all of the Wikimedia
> community. I am also excited to congratulate and welcome Phoebe Ayers to
> the Board, and also to congratulate Arne Klempert for his re-appoitment to
> the Board in a Chapter-appointed seat.
>
> [snip]

> Sincerely,
> Ting

-Aude

> --
> Ting Chen
> Chair of the Board of Trustees
> Wikimedia Foundation, Inc.
> E-Mail: tchen [at] wikimedia

nemowiki at gmail

Jul 12, 2010, 9:00 AM

Re: Fwd: [Wikimedia Announce] Note from the Board Chair [In reply to]

Is it possible for Board members hold two officer positions
simultaneously?
Yes, although this is the first time this has happened.

(http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/July_2010_WMF_Announces_Changes_to_the_Board_QandA
)
But the real question is: why Jan-Bart is no more the Vice-Chair?

Nemo

jamesofur at gmail

Jul 12, 2010, 10:39 AM

Re: Fwd: [Wikimedia Announce] Note from the Board Chair [In reply to]

On Mon, Jul 12, 2010 at 12:00 PM, Federico Leva (Nemo)
<nemowiki [at] gmail>wrote:

> Is it possible for Board members hold two officer positions
> simultaneously?
> Yes, although this is the first time this has happened.
>
> (
> http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/July_2010_WMF_Announces_Changes_to_the_Board_QandA
> )
> But the real question is: why Jan-Bart is no more the Vice-Chair?
>
> Nemo

Officer positions are elected yearly. With the other changes it wouldn't
surprise me if Jan didn't want to be anymore (it appears they nominate
themselves) and/or just everyone thought it would be better to mix up the
officer positions (All of them changed except for Treasurer, which makes
sense since Stuart was appointed to the board specifically as Treasurer
after a search).

James Alexander
james.alexander [at] rochester
jamesofur [at] gmail

janbart at wikimedia

Jul 12, 2010, 2:08 PM

Re: Fwd: [Wikimedia Announce] Note from the Board Chair [In reply to]

Hi,

Just a short note from me (currently stuck in Cologne due to cancelled trains ;(

After being fortunate enough to have been able to serve four years as Vice Chair of the Wikimedia Foundation and the departure of Michael I was not as enthousiastic about being the vice chair again. The board reflected on this and decided to elect Stuart (and I am grateful that he stepped up to be a candidate). So no special reason and I think that the new officer team will have a great fresh start to help guide the rest of the board through the coming exciting year.

Just to make sure I am clear on this... this is not a farewell to the board or anything like that for me, I serve at the request of the rest of the board, and will most likely be available to do so again next year if called upon :) Its an honor to be part of such a great endeavour and being at Wikimania re-affirmed my strong beliefs that this is an incredible movement with enormous potential!

Jan-Bart

PS: And yes: Stuart is treasurer because he has that specific skill.

PS2: I know everyone has probably already said it, but thanks SO much to the people that made this Wikimania possible