Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations

mike.lifeguard at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations

nemowiki at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

Sue Gardner, 14/04/2010 08:11:
> His
> first focus will be to work with Wikimedia volunteers to establish and
> maintain systems enabling them to provide good service to readers who
> have inquiries, complaints and comments. A lot of this will involve
> taking existing FAQ material, cleaning it up, and making it publicly
> available to readers. That'll involve some writing and synthesizing
> work, and also coordinating with volunteers to have material
> translated and localized.

«readers who have inquiries, complaints and comments» often write to
OTRS. Will Philippe work also on OTRS? If this is the case, how will his
role be distinct from Cary's?

Nemo

susanpgardner at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Headof Reader Relations [In reply to]

Hi Nemo,

One answer is "Cary's work has overlap with everybody's work." Seriously: shortly after I arrived at Wikimedia, Cary and I had a conversation about whether everybody on the staff should coordinate their activities/communications with Wikimedians through Cary, since Cary's title is Volunteer Coordinator. We quickly decided that no, that didn't make sense:
Cary can't, and doesn't want to, be a bottleneck for staff working with volunteers: everybody on the staff needs to be working with all kinds of volunteers, all the time.

More specifically; yes, Philippe will be working with OTRS with the goal of helping create and disseminate messaging. I don't think that'll interfere with Cary's work. If it does, Cary and Philippe will flag it, and we'll figure it out.

Thanks,
Sue

> first focus will be to work with Wikimedia volunteers to establish and
> maintain systems enabling them to provide good service to readers who
> have inquiries, complaints and comments. A lot of this will involve
> taking existing FAQ material, cleaning it up, and making it publicly
> available to readers. That'll involve some writing and synthesizing
> work, and also coordinating with volunteers to have material
> translated and localized.

«readers who have inquiries, complaints and comments» often write to
OTRS. Will Philippe work also on OTRS? If this is the case, how will his
role be distinct from Cary's?

Nemo

meta.sj at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

I said this in person, but congratulations, Philippe -- great news!
It is good to see great contractors become full-time staff.

Mike.lifeguard writes:
On 37-01--10 03:59 PM, Sue Gardner wrote:
>> As I'm sending this, I'm wondering: have we actually started an
>> announce-only list?
>
> +1 for that!

An announce list would be handy.

SJ