[Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations

sgardner at wikimedia

[Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations

As I'm sending this, I'm wondering: have we actually started an
announce-only list? If so, and if someone reminds me, I will post this
there too :-)

Hi folks,

I'm delighted to tell you that Philippe Beaudette will be staying with
the Wikimedia Foundation following the completion of the strategy
project this summer. This makes me really happy: Philippe has been
doing terrific work, and I'm delighted he's agreed to stay on with us.

In his new role, Philippe will become the Wikimedia Foundation's
first-ever Head of Reader Relations. As such, he will act as an
advocate for readers inside the projects and within the staff. His
first focus will be to work with Wikimedia volunteers to establish and
maintain systems enabling them to provide good service to readers who
have inquiries, complaints and comments. A lot of this will involve
taking existing FAQ material, cleaning it up, and making it publicly
available to readers. That'll involve some writing and synthesizing
work, and also coordinating with volunteers to have material
translated and localized.

Philippe's background makes him ideal for this role.

He has been a long-time member of the Wikimedia volunteer community,
both as an administrator on several sites, and as a volunteer for
OTRS, where he successfully resolved some particularly difficult
complaints regarding biographies of living people. He's very familiar
with Wikimedia project policies and practices.

Outside Wikimedia, Philippe has significant customer service
experience, including running a large customer contact centre for
Convergys Corporation, a global firm specializing in relationship
management. He also helped many organizations, including two of the
world's largest insurance providers, develop customer service
environments, while working for Siebel. He also has a background in
American electoral politics, including working as Deputy Campaign
Manager, Operations Manager and Technology Director on a number of
state and federal campaigns, as well as for the non-profit Progressive
Alliance Foundation.

He has worked in the United States, Italy, and the United Kingdom.

All of this, in my view, makes Philippe ideal to handle reader
relations for us: he's got lots of experience managing complex
stakeholder relationships with tact and sensitivity, and creating
systems that scale.

Both Philippe and I expect his role will evolve once the Chief Global
Program Officer (CGPO) arrives. I thank Philippe for his flexibility
and trust in taking this on and relocating to San Francisco, despite
that lack of certainty :-)

Philippe will report to me until the CGPO arrives, whereupon he'll
report to that person. He's in the midst of beginning his move to San
Francisco now (with a side trip to Berlin for the chapters meeting).

You might wonder why this job wasn't posted and boarded. Generally, I
do aim to post and board all jobs; I think it helps the Wikimedia
Foundation to surface the best-possible candidates, to be fair in our
hiring, and to be seen to be fair. In this instance though, I decided
it was better not to. Philippe has done a great job over the past nine
months, we are undoubtedly going to need the kinds of skills and
experiences he brings to us, and I didn't want him to start
job-hunting as his work on the strategy project came to a close.
Given that, and given that the job may evolve when the CGPO arrives,
posting and boarding -in this particular context- seemed
inappropriate.

Philippe has been a great addition to our team in the time he's been
with us, and I look forward to his continued contributions. Please
join me in welcoming and congratulating him.

Thanks,
Sue

--
Sue Gardner
Executive Director

415 839 6885 office
415 816 9967 cell

the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

keegan.wiki at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

<claps>
--
~Keegan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

jamesofur at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

Aye, Congratulations Philippe and I look forward to seeing more about what
you (and others) have in mind for you to do for Reader Relations. I'm sure
some of the idea's will come from those involved at Strategy :). Watch out
for the San Fransisco weather!

James Alexander
james.alexander [at] rochester
jamesofur [at] gmail
100 gmail invites and no one to give them to :( let me know if you want one
:)

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 3:16 AM, Keegan Peterzell <keegan.wiki [at] gmail>wrote:

> <claps>
> --
> ~Keegan
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Keegan

pbeaudette at wikimedia

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

Thanks Sue, and everyone else who wrote me on or offlist to express
their congratulations or give me ideas. I very much appreciate them!

This is an exciting opportunity. I'm a true-believer - I really do
think that Wikimedia and the contributors to all the projects have
changed the way that the world deals with information. In this new
role, I'm looking forward to the chance to learn more about how people
use the projects, beyond the obvious, and streamline the ways that we
deliver a consistently high level of service to our readers. In the 9
months that I've been with the Foundation so far, I've been
consistently impressed with the dedication and creativity of
contributors to the projects, and of my coworkers.

I'm so excited!

Thanks for your good wishes, and please don't hesitate to send me
thoughts and ideas. As Sue indicated below, I will continue my work
on the strategy project until July, so that will take the lions share
of my attention, but I'm happy to listen to thoughts and ideas before
then.

pb

____________________
Philippe Beaudette
Head of Reader Relations
Wikimedia Foundation

philippe [at] wikimedia

Imagine a world in which every human being can freely share in

On Apr 13, 2010, at 11:11 PM, Sue Gardner wrote:

> [...]
> job-hunting as his work on the strategy project came to a close.
> Given that, and given that the job may evolve when the CGPO arrives,
> posting and boarding -in this particular context- seemed
> inappropriate.
>
> Philippe has been a great addition to our team in the time he's been
> with us, and I look forward to his continued contributions. Please
> join me in welcoming and congratulating him.
>
> Thanks,
> Sue
>

> --
> Sue Gardner
> Executive Director
> Wikimedia Foundation
>
> 415 839 6885 office
> 415 816 9967 cell
>
> Imagine a world in which every single human being can freely share in
> the sum of all knowledge. Help us make it a reality!

jyothis.e at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

Philippe,

Welcome to the family and wishing you the best!.

Thanks.

Regards,
Jyothis.

http://www.Jyothis.net

http://ml.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Jyothis

I am the first customer of http://www.netdotnet.com

woods are lovely dark and deep,
but i have promises to keep and
miles to go before i sleep and
lines to go before I press sleep

completion date = (start date + ((estimated effort x 3.1415926) / resources)
+ ((total coffee breaks x 0.25) / 24)) + Effort in meetings

rogerhogsky at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Philippe Beaudette <
pbeaudette [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Thanks Sue, and everyone else who wrote me on or offlist to express
> their congratulations or give me ideas. I very much appreciate them!
>
> This is an exciting opportunity. I'm a true-believer - I really do
> think that Wikimedia and the contributors to all the projects have
> changed the way that the world deals with information.

You are indeed a true-believer, Philippe.

bodnotbod at gmail

Re: [Announcement] Philippe Beaudette becomes Head of Reader Relations [In reply to]

On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 6:32 PM, Philippe Beaudette
<pbeaudette [at] wikimedia> wrote:

> Thanks Sue, and everyone else who wrote me on or offlist to express
> their congratulations or give me ideas. I very much appreciate them!

Glad I caught this thread as I haven't been reading many of the posts lately.

Many congratulations, Philippe. I have had a fair few exchanges with
Philippe on the Strategy Wiki and he has never been anything other
than helpful, supportive and very easy to talk to.

I had some tough news today, so this has taken the edge off that. Yay!

It would be good to be informed if and when a job description is
posted up on the WMF site (if it hasn't happened already) so we get a
feel for what sort of issues Philippe is dealing with. I wouldn't
class myself as primarily a "reader" (I guess most of us reading this
mailing list wouldn't), so that makes me think he won't be a guy I'll
need to speak to in his new role, which is a bit of a shame.

User:Bodnotbod