Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT

 

 

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


jnw at orl

Feb 25, 1998, 9:44 AM

Post #1 of 8 (1298 views)
Permalink
WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT

*** Relevant to WinVNC (Win32 VNC server) users running Windows 95 or
Windows NT

We have now produced a second modified version (R6) of WinVNC which
removes completely the display of the remote pointer. In-house testing
suggests that this may fix the reliability problems seen particularly
under Windows 95.

We would be grateful if users who have experienced problems could try this
new version and give us feedback.

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK.
Tel : Work - +44 1223 343000


joel at exc

Feb 25, 1998, 10:43 AM

Post #2 of 8 (1267 views)
Permalink
WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT [In reply to]

>We have now produced a second modified version (R6) of WinVNC which
>removes completely the display of the remote pointer. In-house testing
>suggests that this may fix the reliability problems seen particularly
>under Windows 95.

Is this the "test" version from the web site? I did install that,
over the older one, but it still says "R5"? Where does one get R6?

-Joel
(joel [at] exc)


jnw at orl

Feb 25, 1998, 11:13 AM

Post #3 of 8 (1260 views)
Permalink
Re: WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT [In reply to]

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:

> >We have now produced a second modified version (R6) of WinVNC which
> >removes completely the display of the remote pointer. In-house testing
> >suggests that this may fix the reliability problems seen particularly
> >under Windows 95.
>
> Is this the "test" version from the web site? I did install that,
> over the older one, but it still says "R5"? Where does one get R6?

The original test version (version 3.3.1 R5) has been shwon not to fix the
Win95 problem. The test version on the web page is now version 3.3.1 R6.
If you have a version of WinVNC that claims to be "R5" and you are
experiencing difficulties with it, we suggest that you try out "R6" from
the VNC web page.

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
--
Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK.
Tel : Work - 343000


drees at oto

Feb 25, 1998, 11:57 AM

Post #4 of 8 (1263 views)
Permalink
Re: WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT [In reply to]

To prevent confusion between versions, and so that people actually know
what version they're downloading, how about including the version number
in the download like most Unix distributions. This could save a lot of
confusion. Also posting the version number next to the download button
would be nice, too.

-Dave

On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, James [Wez] Weatherall wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
>
> > >We have now produced a second modified version (R6) of WinVNC which
> > >removes completely the display of the remote pointer. In-house testing
> > >suggests that this may fix the reliability problems seen particularly
> > >under Windows 95.
> >
> > Is this the "test" version from the web site? I did install that,
> > over the older one, but it still says "R5"? Where does one get R6?
>
> The original test version (version 3.3.1 R5) has been shwon not to fix the
> Win95 problem. The test version on the web page is now version 3.3.1 R6.
> If you have a version of WinVNC that claims to be "R5" and you are
> experiencing difficulties with it, we suggest that you try out "R6" from
> the VNC web page.
>
> Cheers,
>
> James "Wez" Weatherall
> --
> Olivetti & Oracle Research Laboratory, Cambridge, UK.
> Tel : Work - 343000
>
>
>


joel at exc

Feb 25, 1998, 12:36 PM

Post #5 of 8 (1257 views)
Permalink
WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT [In reply to]

>The original test version (version 3.3.1 R5) has been shwon not to fix the
>Win95 problem. The test version on the web page is now version 3.3.1 R6.
>If you have a version of WinVNC that claims to be "R5" and you are
>experiencing difficulties with it, we suggest that you try out "R6" from
>the VNC web page.

I just tried R6. At first glance it looks better, but it still caused
the following message (which I could only see from the Win95 machine):

An Exception 0E has occurred at 0028:C1013E38 in VxD MSTCP(01) +
00008FB4. This was called from 0028:C0FFCC9A; in VxD VTDI(01) +
000000BA. It may be possible to continue normally. [...]

(I added the elipses.) So far, I have been able to conintue normally,
but I had to go to the Win95 machine to "press any key" to continue.

-Joel
(joel [at] exc)


quentin at orl

Feb 25, 1998, 12:55 PM

Post #6 of 8 (1266 views)
Permalink
Re: WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT [In reply to]

>To prevent confusion between versions, and so that people actually know
>what version they're downloading, how about including the version number
>in the download like most Unix distributions.

Normally, yes, we will do this - the current version is 3.3.1, and all the
packages are labelled with that. Major changes will involve a new version
number, and we may use the R6 release convention for platform-specific
changes. We haven't quite finalised that yet, but for the moment, I have put
the R6 version number on the download page beside the button.

Another improvement in R6 that Wez didn't mention is an extra check-box on
the Properties page which causes all new incoming connections to be
'read-only' - they can view the screen but not move the cursor or type
characters. A few people had mentioned the scenario of a teacher with
several (possibly mischievous) pupils, so we thought this might be handy.

Quentin
----
Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser
The Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
http://www.orl.co.uk/~qsf


thorsten at arch

Feb 25, 1998, 2:51 PM

Post #7 of 8 (1261 views)
Permalink
Re: WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT [In reply to]

Quentin Stafford-Fraser wrote:
>
> >To prevent confusion between versions, and so that people actually know
> >what version they're downloading, how about including the version number
> >in the download like most Unix distributions.
>
> Normally, yes, we will do this - the current version is 3.3.1, and all the
> packages are labelled with that. Major changes will involve a new version
> number, and we may use the R6 release convention for platform-specific
> changes. We haven't quite finalised that yet, but for the moment, I have put
> the R6 version number on the download page beside the button.
>

Renaming for every different version is important because of some stupid
proxies returning the old file otherwise (same URL: must be the same
file), and require some fiddeling with extra-proxy-commands in wget...

And it would be nice if it could expand into a directory vnc-3.3.1R6/...



> Another improvement in R6 that Wez didn't mention is an extra check-box on
> the Properties page which causes all new incoming connections to be
> 'read-only' - they can view the screen but not move the cursor or type
> characters. A few people had mentioned the scenario of a teacher with
> several (possibly mischievous) pupils, so we thought this might be handy.
>

brilliant


> Quentin
> ----
> Dr Quentin Stafford-Fraser
> The Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
> http://www.orl.co.uk/~qsf

--
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
\ k
\ e Thorsten Schnier
\ y
/\ \ Key Centre of Design Computing
/ / c University of Sydney
\ / e NSW 2006
\ / n
\/ t thorsten [at] arch
DESIGN r http://www.arch.usyd.edu.au/~thorsten/
COMPUTING e


quentin at orl

Feb 25, 1998, 4:27 PM

Post #8 of 8 (1258 views)
Permalink
Re: WinVNC 3.3.1 R6 TEST for Win95/NT [In reply to]

>I just tried R6. At first glance it looks better, but it still caused
>the following message (which I could only see from the Win95 machine):
> [Exception details deleted]


Mmm. We've certainly never seen that before. If this happens again,
especially after the machine has been rebooted, I would suggest that it
might be something else that's running at the time. WinVNC 'hooks' various
Windows messages to get hints on screen activity, and it might confuse
something.

It may be worth checking you have the latest service packs and system
updates installed, too.

If you have repeated problems, email us directly at vnc [at] orl, and we'll
deal with it off-line and summarise to the mailing list.

Regards,
Quentin

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.