Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

High csrss.exe utilisation on XP with legacy software

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

robertw63 at hotmail

Dec 17, 2011, 2:04 PM

High csrss.exe utilisation on XP with legacy software

I'm serving RealVNC Free Edition 4.1 from an XP32 SP3 box. When I run legacy Turbo Pascal programs from the client the csrss.exe utilisation jumps up to 100% on every keystroke (or even if the application is put in foreground) for several seconds and sometimes as long as a minute or 2. This stalls things and makes the session unuseable. The Turbo Pascal programs don't generate much screen traffic as it is mostly file shuffling so I don't understand why csrss is getting so much utilisation.
Anyone understand this and/or have a fix or workaround? It's a big job to redo the legacy stuff. (Clients are XP or W7 machines and all demonstrate the problem).
Thanks.

Phillip.Long at gossinternational

Dec 19, 2011, 5:05 AM

RE: High csrss.exe utilisation on XP with legacy software [In reply to]

I'm serving RealVNC Free Edition 4.1 from an XP32 SP3 box. When I
run legacy Turbo Pascal programs from the client the csrss.exe
utilisation jumps up to 100% on every keystroke (or even if the
application is put in foreground) for several seconds and sometimes
as long as a minute or 2. This stalls things and makes the session
unuseable. The Turbo Pascal programs don't generate much screen
traffic as it is mostly file shuffling so I don't understand why
csrss is getting so much utilisation.
Anyone understand this and/or have a fix or workaround? It's a big
job to redo the legacy stuff. (Clients are XP or W7 machines and
all demonstrate the problem).
Thanks.

Robert:

Most DOS programs consume 100% of CPU cycles in a Windows box. I'm
guessing this happens because DOS had no built-in
process-scheduling or process priority, but I don't really know for
sure. U might want to look for old TSRs that could interrupt the
CPU and execute a halt instruction. I recall that there was one
called "Rain," or something like that. Again, this is only a guess.

Thx, P.

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.