Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

local login

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

mikeg at computer-wares

Jun 15, 2010, 5:24 AM

local login

I have vnc running as a server on a linux red hat box.

I have vnc viewer running on a local xp machine.

I can't seem to connect to connect even though we have same ip schemes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

bveale at njstatelib

Jun 15, 2010, 6:05 AM

RE: local login [In reply to]

Here are some references that got me going:

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/VNC-Server

http://codeghar.wordpress.com/2007/11/28/centos-5-post-install-customization/

By the way, the CentOS distro is binary-compatible with Red Hat Enterprise -- same thing without the labels, basically, so these references shouldn't be too far off...

Good luck,

-Byron

Byron Veale
Webmaster
The New Jersey State Library

I have vnc running as a server on a linux red hat box.

I have vnc viewer running on a local xp machine.

I can't seem to connect to connect even though we have same ip schemes.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mike

Phillip.Long at gossinternational

Jun 15, 2010, 6:42 AM

RE: local login [In reply to]

> I have vnc running as a server on a linux red hat box.
>
> I have vnc viewer running on a local xp machine.
>
> I can't seem to connect to connect even though we have same ip
> schemes.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>

> Mike

...details?

Thx, Phil Long

Goss ... Innovation for Business

NOTICE: This e-mail and any attachment(s) may contain confidential and proprietary information of Goss International Corporation and/or its subsidiaries and may be legally privileged. This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the addressee, dissemination, copying or other use of this e-mail or any of its content is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient please inform the sender immediately and destroy the e-mail and any copies. All liability for viruses is excluded to the fullest extent permitted by law. Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender. No contract may be construed by this e-mail.

c.coletta at mclink

Jun 15, 2010, 9:38 AM

Re: local login [In reply to]

Hello,

> I have vnc running as a server on a linux red hat box.
>
> I have vnc viewer running on a local xp machine.
>
> I can't seem to connect to connect even though we have same ip schemes.
>
> Any ideas?

have you checked the configuration of the firewall on both PCs?

> Thanks
>
> Mike

Bye,
Claudio.

stella at rider

Jun 15, 2010, 11:34 AM

Re: local login [In reply to]

I'd start by saying:

* It's the firewall on the red hat box opened to allow the connection?
* On what 'display' is the server listening on?
* Are you connecting to the correct display (ie ip.address:1)

On 6/15/2010 9:42 AM, Long, Phillip GOSS wrote:
> [...]

cbeerse at gmail

Jun 17, 2010, 1:25 AM

Re: local login [In reply to]

On 15-6-2010 14:24, Mike Gexler wrote:
> I have vnc running as a server on a linux red hat box.
>
> I have vnc viewer running on a local xp machine.
>
> I can't seem to connect to connect even though we have same ip schemes.
>
> Any ideas?

This depends on a lot of settings. As the remote machine is linux, the
vnc-session can be a fresh session (unrelated to the session on the
console) or somehow hooked to the session at the console.

For fresh sessions, there are 2 variants: Static sessions or on-the-fly
sessions. The first one is re-entrant: you can re-connect to them and
more than one viewer can work with this session (that's configurable).
The on-the-fly sessions just give a fresh login for every connection and
logout/crash once the connection to the viewer is lost.

For the sessions hooked to the console, it depends on the level of the
hook. If it is hooked to the current login session, the user at the
console can get a question if the remote session is allowed or not.

In the end, if both machines have exact the same IP settings, it will
never work if they have the same ip addresses...

CBee