Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

Real VNC refresh rate very slow

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

roberto_meza75 at hotmail

Sep 27, 2009, 3:02 PM

Real VNC refresh rate very slow

Helllo:

Any recommendations to speed up the refresh rate when connecting to remote Windows XP PC's usigng Real VNC?

I don't think this is a CPU or memory issue as both PC's are pretty decent.

Is this is normal? It takes a lot of time to get the screen refreshed.

Thanks

cbeerse at gmail

Sep 29, 2009, 1:41 AM

Re: Real VNC refresh rate very slow [In reply to]

Roberto Meza wrote:
> Any recommendations to speed up the refresh rate when connecting to remote Windows XP PC's usigng Real VNC?
>
> I don't think this is a CPU or memory issue as both PC's are pretty decent.
>
> Is this is normal? It takes a lot of time to get the screen refreshed.
THere are various ways to twiggle the settings, all depending on the
used network and local hardware. Try to find out why the update is slow
and alter the settings accordingly.

With low bandwith, you want less traffic: use 8 bits colordept, no
background picture, moving boxes, not entire windows and such. (just an
example I expect does not match your situation :-)

With current windows implementations, there are various ways the
vnc-server can fetch the updates. Twiggle with those settings to find
the best for your situation.

Success

CBee

roberto_meza75 at hotmail

Sep 29, 2009, 6:10 AM

RE: Real VNC refresh rate very slow [In reply to]

So I should try with different settings both on Windows and on the Server and Viewer?

Are you saying using 8 bit on the Windows color settings? I don't think that's an option. Everything would look pretty bad.

Thanks

> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 10:41:56 +0200
> From: cbeerse [at] gmail
> To: roberto_meza75 [at] hotmail
> CC: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: Re: Real VNC refresh rate very slow
>
> Roberto Meza wrote:
> > Any recommendations to speed up the refresh rate when connecting to remote Windows XP PC's usigng Real VNC?
> >
> > I don't think this is a CPU or memory issue as both PC's are pretty decent.
> >
> > Is this is normal? It takes a lot of time to get the screen refreshed.
> THere are various ways to twiggle the settings, all depending on the
> used network and local hardware. Try to find out why the update is slow
> and alter the settings accordingly.
>
> With low bandwith, you want less traffic: use 8 bits colordept, no
> background picture, moving boxes, not entire windows and such. (just an
> example I expect does not match your situation :-)
>
> With current windows implementations, there are various ways the
> vnc-server can fetch the updates. Twiggle with those settings to find
> the best for your situation.
>
> Success
>
> CBee

cbeerse at gmail

Sep 30, 2009, 5:34 AM

Re: Real VNC refresh rate very slow [In reply to]

Roberto Meza wrote:
> So I should try with different settings both on Windows and on the
> Server and Viewer?
Try everything and see what the effect is. Hence, donnot try everything
at once.

> Are you saying using 8 bit on the Windows color settings? I don't
> think that's an option. Everything would look pretty bad.
Well, if the network bandwidth is your bottleneck (i donnot expect that
now days), then switching from full color to 8 bits is reducing the
bandwidth usage with up to 75 %: its 1 byte for every pixel in stead of
4 bytes for full color. In the days of analog phone liness with 33k6
baud bandwidth, that made a difference.