Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

Read: Connection aborted (10053)

 

 

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


francoisch at free

Jan 22, 2007, 12:42 PM

Post #1 of 12 (35148 views)
Permalink
Read: Connection aborted (10053)

hello

Here I am back with details ; both PCs are WinXP SP2 and the link is DSL.

The connection works in Listening mode ; I picked up a port below 1024 instead
of the standard one.

The Viewer side :
- a Linksys router with the Port Forwarding done for the port
- ZoneAlarm with the port open for Incoming / Outgoing for TCP
- The Viewer is permanently listening

The Server side :
- the regular WinXP SP2 firewall with the port open
- the Server is started automatically at boot time and every hour

Allow me to mention that I have another very similar VNC connection working
perfectly well with another PC on my WiFi network, with no trouble at all, for
a long time.

On the reverse, my remote VNC connection keeps breaking down every hour after a
duration between 10-12 minutes and 30-35 minutes with no identified scheme.

The message is always the same : Read: Connection aborted (10053)

Thank you in advance for your help.

Please ask if more details are needed.

Francois
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


michaelkintzios at gmail

Jan 23, 2007, 10:54 AM

Post #2 of 12 (35010 views)
Permalink
Re: Read: Connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

Some quick thoughts below:

On Monday 22 January 2007 20:42, francoisch [at] free wrote:

> The connection works in Listening mode ; I picked up a port below 1024
> instead of the standard one.

Do you also have a problem with ports above 1024? (BTW, running a PC with
open ports logged in as Administrator is not particularly secure).

> The Viewer side :
> - a Linksys router with the Port Forwarding done for the port
> - ZoneAlarm with the port open for Incoming / Outgoing for TCP
> - The Viewer is permanently listening
>
> The Server side :
> - the regular WinXP SP2 firewall with the port open
> - the Server is started automatically at boot time and every hour

Why does it need to restart every hour? Could it be that the server is
closing the previous connection while the client is still holding onto it?

> Allow me to mention that I have another very similar VNC connection working
> perfectly well with another PC on my WiFi network, with no trouble at all,
> for a long time.
>
> On the reverse, my remote VNC connection keeps breaking down every hour
> after a duration between 10-12 minutes and 30-35 minutes with no identified
> scheme.
>
> The message is always the same : Read: Connection aborted (10053)

There's a setting dis/allowing multiple connections to the server - check that
it has been set correctly for your needs.
--
Regards,
Mick

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


francoisch at free

Jan 24, 2007, 12:39 PM

Post #3 of 12 (35006 views)
Permalink
Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

hello Mick

Port below 1024: I read somewhere that some providers, at least in France, tend
to squeeze ports above 1024 for traffic control reasons, thus I tried doing so
to avoid being sqeezed.

Question: how does this relate with your remark about open ports and admin
rights?

Restart every hour:
- I left this VNC Server option named "Disconnect idle clients after" = 3600
seconds
- for some reason, I never saw a Client disconnected after this delay but I keep
trusting it
- taking into account the 10053 type incidents I have, the reconnect every hour
is pretty useful for the time being

Multiple connections to the server: it almost never happen that I have two
connections to the other PC current, but this works when it happens

I am still trying to understand what can make these 10053 disconnections happen.

Thank you for your kind help.

Also, would anyone believe that I would get a solution by moving to VNC
Personnal edition and benefiting from the VNC support center?

Good day.

Francois
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


jnw at realvnc

Jan 25, 2007, 1:17 AM

Post #4 of 12 (35010 views)
Permalink
RE: Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

Francois,

Do you see more aborts when moving the mouse around? If so then try
enabling "Pointer event rate-limiting" enabled in the VNC Viewer's Inputs
tab. Does that help?

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc
> [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On Behalf Of francoisch [at] free
> Sent: 24 January 2007 20:39
> To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: Read: connection aborted (10053)
>
> hello Mick
>
> Port below 1024: I read somewhere that some providers, at
> least in France, tend
> to squeeze ports above 1024 for traffic control reasons, thus
> I tried doing so
> to avoid being sqeezed.
>
> Question: how does this relate with your remark about open
> ports and admin
> rights?
>
> Restart every hour:
> - I left this VNC Server option named "Disconnect idle
> clients after" = 3600
> seconds
> - for some reason, I never saw a Client disconnected after
> this delay but I keep
> trusting it
> - taking into account the 10053 type incidents I have, the
> reconnect every hour
> is pretty useful for the time being
>
> Multiple connections to the server: it almost never happen
> that I have two
> connections to the other PC current, but this works when it happens
>
> I am still trying to understand what can make these 10053
> disconnections happen.
>
> Thank you for your kind help.
>
> Also, would anyone believe that I would get a solution by
> moving to VNC
> Personnal edition and benefiting from the VNC support center?
>
> Good day.
>
> Francois
> _______________________________________________
> VNC-List mailing list
> VNC-List [at] realvnc
> To remove yourself from the list visit:
> http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


michaelkintzios at gmail

Jan 25, 2007, 11:21 AM

Post #5 of 12 (34996 views)
Permalink
Re: Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

On Wednesday 24 January 2007 20:39, francoisch [at] free wrote:
> hello Mick
>
> Port below 1024: I read somewhere that some providers, at least in France,
> tend to squeeze ports above 1024 for traffic control reasons, thus I tried
> doing so to avoid being sqeezed.

All your internet applications open ports above 1024 when they connect to the
Internet. Run cmd.exe and then try netstat -ano to see that your request to
any web server on say port 80, will cause a response from the server's IP
address on a typically high port number at your PC. Squeezing traffic at any
ports may happen for two legitimate reasons: a)Your ISP is trying to contain
the uncontrolled spread of some new trojan, which uses a particular port and
might have just gone wild on a large number of compromised Windows machines.
Essentially, they may want to avoid a DoS attack on their network by their
own users. b)The contention ratio is too high at certain times of the day.
The more people are trying to squeeze packets down the pipe the slower the
connection for all of them becomes.

I guess if your problem is related to traffic shaping by your ISP then the
remote session will become sluggish/jerky and eventually die.

> Question: how does this relate with your remark about open ports and admin
> rights?

As a plain user you shouldn't be able to open "privileged" ports below 1024 at
will. You need to either run the application in question as a system
service, or elevate your login to that of an Administrator (root). Also,
there is a possibility that the port you are trying to use is already being
used by another service. I would try and replicate the problem using the
default VNC ports - just to be sure.

> Restart every hour:
> - I left this VNC Server option named "Disconnect idle clients after" =
> 3600 seconds
> - for some reason, I never saw a Client disconnected after this delay but I
> keep trusting it
> - taking into account the 10053 type incidents I have, the reconnect every
> hour is pretty useful for the time being
>
> Multiple connections to the server: it almost never happen that I have two
> connections to the other PC current, but this works when it happens

Sorry, you lost me here. What do you mean?

> I am still trying to understand what can make these 10053 disconnections
> happen.

Could it have to do something with your router renewing the dhcp address of
the particular client/server and therefore dropping the existing connection?
I am thinking it might be a network issue, or if random it may even be a
hardware problem (faulty network cable/connector, or WiFi adaptor).

> Thank you for your kind help.

You're welcome (although I am not sure I have actually helped...)

> Also, would anyone believe that I would get a solution by moving to VNC
> Personnal edition and benefiting from the VNC support center?

I have not used the VNC support center to know if its worth the money, but my
humble view is that if some person(s) are spending their precious time to
make an application work better and you are benefiting from it, then you
should try and reward them proportionately to the benefit you derive from
their efforts. In some cases this may involve a donation or paying for their
software (with or without support).

Just my 2c's.
--
Regards,
Mick

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type application/pgp-signature]
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


francoisch at free

Jan 29, 2007, 10:17 AM

Post #6 of 12 (34983 views)
Permalink
Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

hello James

A quick question related to your post: in my VNC Server Properties Input tab, I
don't have the "Pointer event rate-limiting" you talk about.

The nearest I have is "accept pointer events from clients"; my VNC version is a
4.1.2 Windows one.

Thank you for your help.

Francois
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


francoisch at free

Jan 29, 2007, 11:12 AM

Post #7 of 12 (34974 views)
Permalink
Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

hello Mick

Thank you very much for your long documented message; let me try to move the
subject forward again.

I would like to start by saying that my testing capabilities are not that great
since I can't really count on my 88 year old mother (the VNC Server micro) to
help me out; things tend to take more time than I would like.

Port: OK, I will return to the standard VNC port number, to flatten this out.
For the record, the port I was using was 993 (SSL encrypted IMAP).

Restart every hour: two things:
- there is a VNC Server option which says "Disconnect idle clients after" and is
= 3600 seconds by default
I trusted that a VNC connexion would break after that delay if unused, which is
the reason why I moved to restarting the Server every hour
- this hourly restart, at the time, is pretty useful to me since the connexion
usually breaks down after a little while

Rewarding: Yes, you are right? I will certainly go for a donation but would like
that the whole thing would work before doing so.

I will not do more testing for few weeks since my mother will be away; sorry for
that.

Thanks again for your help.

Francois
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


francoisch at free

Jan 30, 2007, 1:55 PM

Post #8 of 12 (34990 views)
Permalink
Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

hello

Here is one more info on this problem.

I just set up another remote VNC connection between my PC with a another PC
(different from the one I usually connect to) with this result (so far):
- the connection is alive after more than an hour (while my usual remote VNC
connection does not last more than 15-30 min.)
- the transmission speed is around 500 kbit/s, rather slow compared to my usual
remote connection (around 750 kbit/s)
- this PC = Linux, link = ADSL (Freebox + router)

As a reminder, my other VNC connection, on my local WiFi network, keeps running
with absolutely no trouble at all, at a speed = 1,5 mbit/s.

Francois
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


jnw at realvnc

Jan 31, 2007, 3:43 AM

Post #9 of 12 (34982 views)
Permalink
RE: Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

Hi Francois,

The option may be called "Rate-limit mouse move events" instead - if you
tick it then VNC Viewer will only send events infrequently while the mouse
is moving, and whenever you click a button.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc
> [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On Behalf Of francoisch [at] free
> Sent: 29 January 2007 18:18
> To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: Read: connection aborted (10053)
>
> hello James
>
> A quick question related to your post: in my VNC Server
> Properties Input tab, I
> don't have the "Pointer event rate-limiting" you talk about.
>
> The nearest I have is "accept pointer events from clients";
> my VNC version is a
> 4.1.2 Windows one.
>
> Thank you for your help.
>
> Francois
> _______________________________________________
> VNC-List mailing list
> VNC-List [at] realvnc
> To remove yourself from the list visit:
> http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


jnw at realvnc

Jan 31, 2007, 3:45 AM

Post #10 of 12 (34979 views)
Permalink
RE: Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

Francois,

As a rule of thumb, it's inadvisable to use port numbers normally assigned
to other applications and protocols. Firstly, this leads to confusion but
more directly, it can lead to difficult-to-diagnose failure modes if you
have intrusive firewalling or virus-scanning software installed, since many
such utilities will filter the VNC traffic on the non-standard port
incorrectly, expecting it to be web or email traffic.

Thanks,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc
> [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On Behalf Of francoisch [at] free
> Sent: 29 January 2007 19:13
> To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: Read: connection aborted (10053)
>
> hello Mick
>
> Thank you very much for your long documented message; let me
> try to move the
> subject forward again.
>
> I would like to start by saying that my testing capabilities
> are not that great
> since I can't really count on my 88 year old mother (the VNC
> Server micro) to
> help me out; things tend to take more time than I would like.
>
> Port: OK, I will return to the standard VNC port number, to
> flatten this out.
> For the record, the port I was using was 993 (SSL encrypted IMAP).
>
> Restart every hour: two things:
> - there is a VNC Server option which says "Disconnect idle
> clients after" and is
> = 3600 seconds by default
> I trusted that a VNC connexion would break after that delay
> if unused, which is
> the reason why I moved to restarting the Server every hour
> - this hourly restart, at the time, is pretty useful to me
> since the connexion
> usually breaks down after a little while
>
> Rewarding: Yes, you are right? I will certainly go for a
> donation but would like
> that the whole thing would work before doing so.
>
> I will not do more testing for few weeks since my mother will
> be away; sorry for
> that.
>
> Thanks again for your help.
>
> Francois
> _______________________________________________
> VNC-List mailing list
> VNC-List [at] realvnc
> To remove yourself from the list visit:
> http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


jnw at realvnc

Jan 31, 2007, 3:49 AM

Post #11 of 12 (34991 views)
Permalink
RE: Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

Francois,

You hadn't mentioned wi-fi before, had you? When you say "my other VNC
connection, on my local WiFi network", do you actually mean "a connection
from one computer on my Local Area Network to another, both of which are
connected to the same WiFi router?"

We have had reports of unexpected connection aborts when connecting to/from
WiFi-connected systems to systems that are on wired networks (or via wired
networks) - it seems that either Microsoft's TCP stack, or common
wired-to-wireless router technology, is broken, but it's hard to say which
is at fault. In these situations we find that the "Rate-limit mouse move
events" works around the problem.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc
> [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On Behalf Of francoisch [at] free
> Sent: 30 January 2007 21:56
> To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: Read: connection aborted (10053)
>
> hello
>
> Here is one more info on this problem.
>
> I just set up another remote VNC connection between my PC
> with a another PC
> (different from the one I usually connect to) with this
> result (so far):
> - the connection is alive after more than an hour (while my
> usual remote VNC
> connection does not last more than 15-30 min.)
> - the transmission speed is around 500 kbit/s, rather slow
> compared to my usual
> remote connection (around 750 kbit/s)
> - this PC = Linux, link = ADSL (Freebox + router)
>
> As a reminder, my other VNC connection, on my local WiFi
> network, keeps running
> with absolutely no trouble at all, at a speed = 1,5 mbit/s.
>
> Francois
> _______________________________________________
> VNC-List mailing list
> VNC-List [at] realvnc
> To remove yourself from the list visit:
> http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


seak.tf at inmail24

Jan 31, 2007, 10:01 AM

Post #12 of 12 (34976 views)
Permalink
Re: Read: connection aborted (10053) [In reply to]

Just an idea: is there any energy saving stuffs activated in that
computer? Well, normally, that's not a problem. My remotely controlled
PC's all have screen-savers activated and monitors shut off after n
minutes. However, none of them has the hard-drive stop after a period
of time. Do you have that?

francoisch [at] free wrote:
> hello
>
> Here is one more info on this problem.
>
> I just set up another remote VNC connection between my PC with a another PC
> (different from the one I usually connect to) with this result (so far):
> - the connection is alive after more than an hour (while my usual remote VNC
> connection does not last more than 15-30 min.)
> - the transmission speed is around 500 kbit/s, rather slow compared to my usual
> remote connection (around 750 kbit/s)
> - this PC = Linux, link = ADSL (Freebox + router)
>
> As a reminder, my other VNC connection, on my local WiFi network, keeps running
> with absolutely no trouble at all, at a speed = 1,5 mbit/s.
>
> Francois
>


----------
* Zoner PhotoStudio 8 - Your Photos perfect, shared, organised! www.zoner.com/zps
You can download your free version.
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.