Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

The connection was closed unexpectedly (unknown listener event: 0)

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

rob.nicholson at unforgettable

Jun 5, 2005, 4:53 AM

The connection was closed unexpectedly (unknown listener event: 0)

Hi,

I'm trying to get RealVNC v4.1.1 talking to a laptop on my private LAN at
home. I use RealVNC all the time at work and it's usually worked flawlessly.
The problem is that when I try to connect from my main PC to the laptop, the
error "The connection closed unexpectedly" and the event log contains
"Unknown listener event: 0".

Any ideas where to look?

Main PC (viewer):

o Windows XP Pro SP2 - native firewall disabled

o Norton Antivirus 2005 (firewall disabled just in case)

o IP 192.168.0.150

Laptop (server):

o Windows 2000 SP4 - no firewall

o OfficeScan virus scanner

The two are connected together via DLink switch/router with DHCP running. I
don't think the firewall aspect of this device gets in the way as it only
triggers on the WAN interface.

The laptop normally connects to our LAN at work and was configured to only
accept connections from the office LAN. I went into the options screen and
removed these two entries as the IP range is different on my home network.

Interestingly, I happen to have VMware workstation running on the laptop and
I can boot up a virtual PC in this environment which also happens to be
running RealVNC. I can connect to this virtual PC (wonderful technology!)
from my main PC without a problem which suggests that it's not a problem
with the viewer PC side.

Another quirk is that on my main PC, when I look at the connections window
under "Access control", it shows a single "+" character. This must be the
default. But on the server PC where I manually removed the two entries, the
window is blank. I've tried adding the IP address of the main viewer PC
directly to see if that helps - it didn't. BTW - do you need to restart the
service in-between changing settings like this?

Thanks, Rob.

rob.nicholson at unforgettable

Jun 5, 2005, 5:21 AM

RE: The connection was closed unexpectedly (unknown listener event: 0) [In reply to]

>The laptop normally connects to our LAN at work and was configured to
>only
accept connections from the office LAN. I went into the options screen and
removed these two entries as the IP range is different on my home network.

Later...

This was indeed the problem. If RealVNC has been configured to only accept
connections from certain IP addresses and you remove these items so the list
is blank, the server won't accept connections from anywhere.

You have to add a single "+" back into the list of connections to allow
connections from anywhere. Interesting, entering "+" gets displayed as
255.255.255.255/0.0.0.0. There doesn't appear to be a way of getting just
the "+" symbol listed which is present when a default installation is
carried out.

Few quirks there...

Cheers, Rob.