Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully.

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

arthursim at yahoo

SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully.

I found some reference to this problem on the list, but no real solution,
other than reboot. In one message, around October 2004, Wez indicated that
there may be a resolution to this problem on the way. Any headway on this?

In my environment, I sometimes use RDP and I sometimes use VNC. Is the best
solution really to reboot the server?

Does this problem plague older versions of VNC as well or is this one of
situations where it's better to run the obsolete program?

scott at smithdomain

Re: SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully. [In reply to]

The short solution is to RDP into the box, and at a command prompt, enter:

tscon 0 /dest:console

This will disconnect your RDP session, and give back control to the
console, where VNC can work again.
It sure beats rebooting...

RE: SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully. [In reply to]

I'll give that a shot, thanks. Is this effectively the same as logging off
though?

_____

Re: SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully. [In reply to]

No, logging off won't solve the problem. It has to do with resetting
control of "session 0" to the console. Session 0 is the session that VNC
can control. The tscon command will effectively "disconnect" you, and
set control back to the console.

Arthur Simpatico wrote:

> I'll give that a shot, thanks. Is this effectively the same as
> logging off though?

jnw at realvnc

Dec 2, 2005, 10:43 AM

RE: SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully. [In reply to]

Benjamin,

Are the DOS applications running full-screen or windowed?

Regards,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.

ben at foodfairmk

Dec 2, 2005, 10:54 AM

RE: SelectObject to CompatibleDC failed: The operation completed successfully. [In reply to]

They are running in small windows.