Login | Register For Free | Help
Search for: (Advanced)

Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

How to track use of VNC

 

 

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded


DKing at hbgrpins

Oct 12, 2004, 3:58 PM

Post #1 of 16 (1004 views)
Permalink
How to track use of VNC

We've got about 400 users.
Only our systems department has the passwords to VNC the machines, but we
think someone might have gotten a hold of one or two of them.

We've had a couple of users report problems with the VNC icon going black,
and people remoting their PCs without their permission.
No Systems staff admit to being the ones to do it.

It might be an honest mistake, it might be something more nefarious.

Does anyone know of a way we can track what IP the request to VNC came
FROM? Is there a log on the local computer we can use to check? Is there
any software that scans for VNC traffic on a network and logs it?

Daniel J. King
Helpdesk and Technical Support
HB Group Insurance
905-507-5602
dking [at] hbgrpins



This message is intended for use only by the individual(s) to whom it is
specifically addressed above and should not be read by, or delivered to any
other person. Such material may contain privileged and confidential
information. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT
YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF
THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

CE MESSAGE EST DESTINC SEULEMENT C LA PERSONNE DC SIGNC E ET PEUT CONTENIR
DES RENSEIGNEMENTS CONFIDENTIELS. Sbil ne sbadresse pas C vous, PRICRE DE
NE PAS copier, distribuer, ni utiliser les renseignements sby rapportant.
Si vous avez reC'u cette TC LC COPIE par erreur, veuillez tC)lC)phoner
immC)diatement C lbexpC)diteur pour lben aviser. Merci de votre
collaboration.


jnw at realvnc

Oct 12, 2004, 5:26 PM

Post #2 of 16 (978 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Daniel,

That depends on which version of VNC Server you are running, and what level
of access (Administrator, etc), the "nefarious" user may have had to those
machines.

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc
> [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On Behalf Of DKing [at] hbgrpins
> Sent: 12 October 2004 15:56
> To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: How to track use of VNC
>
> We've got about 400 users.
> Only our systems department has the passwords to VNC the
> machines, but we think someone might have gotten a hold of
> one or two of them.
>
> We've had a couple of users report problems with the VNC icon
> going black, and people remoting their PCs without their permission.
> No Systems staff admit to being the ones to do it.
>
> It might be an honest mistake, it might be something more nefarious.
>
> Does anyone know of a way we can track what IP the request to
> VNC came FROM? Is there a log on the local computer we can
> use to check? Is there any software that scans for VNC
> traffic on a network and logs it?
>
> Daniel J. King
> Helpdesk and Technical Support
> HB Group Insurance
> 905-507-5602
> dking [at] hbgrpins
>
>
>
> This message is intended for use only by the individual(s) to
> whom it is specifically addressed above and should not be
> read by, or delivered to any other person. Such material may
> contain privileged and confidential information. IF THE
> READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT YOU ARE
> HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR
> COPYING OF THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THANK
> YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.
>
> CE MESSAGE EST DESTINC SEULEMENT C LA PERSONNE DC
> SIGNC E ET PEUT CONTENIR
> DES RENSEIGNEMENTS CONFIDENTIELS. Sbil ne sbadresse pas C
> vous, PRICRE DE NE PAS copier, distribuer, ni utiliser les
> renseignements sby rapportant.
> Si vous avez reC'u cette TC LC COPIE par erreur,
> veuillez tC)lC)phoner
> immC)diatement C lbexpC)diteur pour lben aviser. Merci de
> votre collaboration.
> _______________________________________________
> VNC-List mailing list
> VNC-List [at] realvnc
> To remove yourself from the list visit:
> http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


JWall at agric

Oct 13, 2004, 12:33 AM

Post #3 of 16 (978 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Hi Daniel,

NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via VNC
not sure about Win95 Win98

John

-----Original Message-----
From: DKing [at] hbgrpins [mailto:DKing [at] hbgrpins]
Sent: Tuesday, 12 October 2004 22:56
To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: How to track use of VNC

We've got about 400 users.
Only our systems department has the passwords to VNC the machines, but we
think someone might have gotten a hold of one or two of them.

We've had a couple of users report problems with the VNC icon going black,
and people remoting their PCs without their permission.
No Systems staff admit to being the ones to do it.

It might be an honest mistake, it might be something more nefarious.

Does anyone know of a way we can track what IP the request to VNC came
FROM? Is there a log on the local computer we can use to check? Is there
any software that scans for VNC traffic on a network and logs it?

Daniel J. King
Helpdesk and Technical Support
HB Group Insurance
905-507-5602
dking [at] hbgrpins



This message is intended for use only by the individual(s) to whom it is
specifically addressed above and should not be read by, or delivered to any
other person. Such material may contain privileged and confidential
information. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT
YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF
THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

CE MESSAGE EST DESTINC SEULEMENT C LA PERSONNE DC SIGNC E ET PEUT
CONTENIR
DES RENSEIGNEMENTS CONFIDENTIELS. Sbil ne sbadresse pas C vous, PRICRE
DE
NE PAS copier, distribuer, ni utiliser les renseignements sby rapportant.
Si vous avez reC'u cette TC LC COPIE par erreur, veuillez
tC)lC)phoner
immC)diatement C lbexpC)diteur pour lben aviser. Merci de votre
collaboration.
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


terabite at bigpond

Oct 13, 2004, 1:18 AM

Post #4 of 16 (977 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Sounds like a job for snort (packet sniffer)!

Note that in a switched network you may have to do some planning/config changes to get the (point to point) packets presented to it.

Cheers, Frank.


-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc]On
Behalf Of DKing [at] hbgrpins
Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 12:56 AM
To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: How to track use of VNC


We've got about 400 users.
Only our systems department has the passwords to VNC the machines, but we
think someone might have gotten a hold of one or two of them.

We've had a couple of users report problems with the VNC icon going black,
and people remoting their PCs without their permission.
No Systems staff admit to being the ones to do it.

It might be an honest mistake, it might be something more nefarious.

Does anyone know of a way we can track what IP the request to VNC came
FROM? Is there a log on the local computer we can use to check? Is there
any software that scans for VNC traffic on a network and logs it?

Daniel J. King
Helpdesk and Technical Support
HB Group Insurance
905-507-5602
dking [at] hbgrpins



This message is intended for use only by the individual(s) to whom it is
specifically addressed above and should not be read by, or delivered to any
other person. Such material may contain privileged and confidential
information. IF THE READER OF THIS MESSAGE IS NOT THE INTENDED RECIPIENT
YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION OR COPYING OF
THIS COMMUNICATION IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COOPERATION.

CE MESSAGE EST DESTINC SEULEMENT C LA PERSONNE DC SIGNC E ET PEUT CONTENIR
DES RENSEIGNEMENTS CONFIDENTIELS. Sbil ne sbadresse pas C vous, PRICRE DE
NE PAS copier, distribuer, ni utiliser les renseignements sby rapportant.
Si vous avez reC'u cette TC LC COPIE par erreur, veuillez tC)lC)phoner
immC)diatement C lbexpC)diteur pour lben aviser. Merci de votre
collaboration.
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


johnrealvnc at sensorysims

Oct 13, 2004, 12:39 PM

Post #5 of 16 (975 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...


Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked all three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean some other .Log file someplace?



--__--__--

Message: 21
From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800

Hi Daniel,

NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via VNC
not sure about Win95 Win98

John


JWall at agric

Oct 13, 2004, 1:51 PM

Post #6 of 16 (975 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Hi John,

I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative Tools,
select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there under as Event
Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and the information is
in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so assume it is the
default mode.

Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO laptop. It does
display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when disconnecting.

John

-----Original Message-----
From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC

Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...


Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro
machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked all
three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean some
other .Log file someplace?



--__--__--

Message: 21
From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800

Hi Daniel,

NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via VNC
not sure about Win95 Win98

John
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


johnrealvnc at sensorysims

Oct 13, 2004, 2:26 PM

Post #7 of 16 (975 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log entries are made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't looked at TVNC vs RVNC in well over a year.... maybe I should look agin.




At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative Tools,
>select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there under as Event
>Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and the information is
>in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so assume it is the
>default mode.
>
>Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO laptop. It does
>display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when disconnecting.
>
>John
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
>To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
>Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
>
>
>Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro
>machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked all
>three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean some
>other .Log file someplace?
>
>
>
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 21
>From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
>To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
>
>Hi Daniel,
>
>NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via VNC
>not sure about Win95 Win98
>
>John
>_______________________________________________
>VNC-List mailing list
>VNC-List [at] realvnc
>To remove yourself from the list visit:
>http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


JWall at agric

Oct 13, 2004, 2:29 PM

Post #8 of 16 (977 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

John,

I am using RealVnc V4 however I would have thought it was up to the
operating system i.e. XP/NT to determine if it will log an event rather than
VNC triggering it.

I don't know but logic would say the trigger would be the event operating
system.

Wez what do you say ??

John

-----Original Message-----
From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 21:26
To: Wall, John; 'John'; vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC



Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log entries are
made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't looked at TVNC vs RVNC in well
over a year.... maybe I should look agin.




At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative Tools,
>select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there under as
Event
>Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and the information
is
>in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so assume it is the
>default mode.
>
>Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO laptop. It does
>display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when disconnecting.
>
>John
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
>To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
>Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
>
>
>Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro
>machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked all
>three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean some
>other .Log file someplace?
>
>
>
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 21
>From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
>To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
>
>Hi Daniel,
>
>NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via VNC
>not sure about Win95 Win98
>
>John
>_______________________________________________
>VNC-List mailing list
>VNC-List [at] realvnc
>To remove yourself from the list visit:
>http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


johnrealvnc at sensorysims

Oct 13, 2004, 2:47 PM

Post #9 of 16 (976 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Writing to OS Event Logs is done at the application level. Most M$ programs do it by common design. All other applications, such as xVNC have to do it intentionally.

Here's simple example code for any VB application:
Dim appLog As New System.Diagnostics.EventLog
appLog.Source = "This Application's Name"
appLog.WriteEntry("An entry to the Application event log.")


In your RVNC 4, there might be an options panel on server side with user settings for level (frequency) of event logging, or at least I would hope so.


Have you also looked at TightVNC? Maybe offer up your comment of one vs the other?



At 09:42 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>John,
>
>I am using RealVnc V4 however I would have thought it was up to the
>operating system i.e. XP/NT to determine if it will log an event rather than
>VNC triggering it.
>
>I don't know but logic would say the trigger would be the event operating
>system.
>
>Wez what do you say ??
>
>John
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 21:26
>To: Wall, John; 'John'; vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
>
>
>Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log entries are
>made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't looked at TVNC vs RVNC in well
>over a year.... maybe I should look agin.
>
>
>
>
>At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>>Hi John,
>>
>>I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative Tools,
>>select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there under as
>Event
>>Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and the information
>is
>>in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so assume it is the
>>default mode.
>>
>>Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO laptop. It does
>>display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when disconnecting.
>>
>>John
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
>>To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
>>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>>
>>Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
>>
>>
>>Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro
>>machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked all
>>three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean some
>>other .Log file someplace?
>>
>>
>>
>>--__--__--
>>
>>Message: 21
>>From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
>>To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
>>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
>>
>>Hi Daniel,
>>
>>NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via VNC
>>not sure about Win95 Win98
>>
>>John
>>_______________________________________________
>>VNC-List mailing list
>>VNC-List [at] realvnc
>>To remove yourself from the list visit:
>>http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


jbeauford at EightInOnePet

Oct 13, 2004, 2:48 PM

Post #10 of 16 (981 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

I don't know if I sent it to the list or the originator but here is my
$.02 ..again:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SNIP1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, you can enable the Windows
Firewall on the incoming connection. Then you can setup VNC as a
running service within the firewall. From there you can enable LOGGING.
You can log SUCCESSFUL connections.

So, any VNC connections, because they are defined in the firewall setup,
should be logged in the specified Log file.


That should do it!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SNIP1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

**************SNIP2*************************Thanks Jason,

Do you know if the Windows Firewall will affect any other sort of
network traffic? We use a proxy server, as well as Lotus Notes and a few
web-enabled resources on our local intranet.

I suppose the easiest thing for me to do would be to configure a test
box and see what happens....

Thanks again!
**************SNIP2*************************

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SNIP3^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I would tend to think that it affects incoming traffic and leaves
outgoing alone. I would define specific INCOMING traffic as a service
in the Firewall.

However, Lotus notes and the likes are outgoing requests to the server
and should not be affected.

But definitely try it on a test box. Also.. With the advent of Windows
XP SP2, you should be able to do Firewall Administration via Group
Policy. Not sure if you can set up Group Policy exception and logging
rules, but check it out.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/maintain/mangxpsp2
/mngwfw.mspx

From a quick glance, it looks like you can do LOGGING.

Please let me know how it works out.

Good Luck.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SNIP3^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^


-JMB

-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On
Behalf Of Wall, John
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 9:42 AM
To: 'John'; Wall, John; vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC


John,

I am using RealVnc V4 however I would have thought it was up to the
operating system i.e. XP/NT to determine if it will log an event rather
than VNC triggering it.

I don't know but logic would say the trigger would be the event
operating system.

Wez what do you say ??

John

-----Original Message-----
From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 21:26
To: Wall, John; 'John'; vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC



Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log entries are
made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't looked at TVNC vs RVNC in
well
over a year.... maybe I should look agin.




At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative
>Tools, select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there
>under as
Event
>Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and the
>information
is
>in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so assume it is the

>default mode.
>
>Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO laptop. It does
>display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when
>disconnecting.
>
>John
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
>To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
>Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
>
>
>Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro
>machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked

>all three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean
>some other .Log file someplace?
>
>
>
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 21
>From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
>To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
>
>Hi Daniel,
>
>NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via

>VNC not sure about Win95 Win98
>
>John
>_______________________________________________
>VNC-List mailing list
>VNC-List [at] realvnc
>To remove yourself from the list visit:
>http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


JWall at agric

Oct 13, 2004, 2:53 PM

Post #11 of 16 (975 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Hi John,

Wez has remarked in another email re another subject that vnc v4 does do
event logging so I guess that is the answer.

Real VNC has been good to me and I am the only IT person in my particular
field using it and my time is precious. I have been advised to use Tight VNC
however the existing Real VNC has been all I have needed so far. I have been
advised that Tight VNC can provide file transfers which Real VNC does not.
Whether the Real VNC team are looking at this I am not sure. It doesn't
particularly fuss me as I just use Windows Exploring to transfer files
within our intranet.

John

Ps when time permits I may look at Tight VNC

-----Original Message-----
From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 21:46
To: Wall, John; vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC



Writing to OS Event Logs is done at the application level. Most M$ programs
do it by common design. All other applications, such as xVNC have to do it
intentionally.

Here's simple example code for any VB application:
Dim appLog As New System.Diagnostics.EventLog
appLog.Source = "This Application's Name"
appLog.WriteEntry("An entry to the Application event log.")


In your RVNC 4, there might be an options panel on server side with user
settings for level (frequency) of event logging, or at least I would hope
so.


Have you also looked at TightVNC? Maybe offer up your comment of one vs the
other?



At 09:42 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>John,
>
>I am using RealVnc V4 however I would have thought it was up to the
>operating system i.e. XP/NT to determine if it will log an event rather
than
>VNC triggering it.
>
>I don't know but logic would say the trigger would be the event operating
>system.
>
>Wez what do you say ??
>
>John
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 21:26
>To: Wall, John; 'John'; vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
>
>
>Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log entries are
>made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't looked at TVNC vs RVNC in well
>over a year.... maybe I should look agin.
>
>
>
>
>At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>>Hi John,
>>
>>I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative Tools,
>>select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there under as
>Event
>>Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and the information
>is
>>in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so assume it is the
>>default mode.
>>
>>Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO laptop. It does
>>display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when disconnecting.
>>
>>John
>>
>>-----Original Message-----
>>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
>>To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
>>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>>
>>Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
>>
>>
>>Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro
>>machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked
all
>>three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean some
>>other .Log file someplace?
>>
>>
>>
>>--__--__--
>>
>>Message: 21
>>From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
>>To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
>>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
>>
>>Hi Daniel,
>>
>>NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via
VNC
>>not sure about Win95 Win98
>>
>>John
>>_______________________________________________
>>VNC-List mailing list
>>VNC-List [at] realvnc
>>To remove yourself from the list visit:
>>http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


johnrealvnc at sensorysims

Oct 13, 2004, 3:01 PM

Post #12 of 16 (974 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

I was not aware that RVNC does not do File Transfers. We use TVNC for traveling user's remote access back to their desktops, therefore FT is important, which TVNC does fairly well. (Only minor annoyance with TVNC FT is can't see remote PC's Network Shares, unless specifically mapped as Drive letters.)

Thanks for your quick comment on RVNC vs TVNC. FT alone is a breaker for us.


jnw at realvnc

Oct 13, 2004, 3:07 PM

Post #13 of 16 (979 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

John & John,

TightVNC is based on the old VNC 3 codebase, which didn't log to the system
event log, so you won't get those log events if you're using TightVNC.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc
> [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On Behalf Of John
> Sent: 13 October 2004 14:26
> To: Wall, John; 'John'; vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
> Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log
> entries are made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't
> looked at TVNC vs RVNC in well over a year.... maybe I should
> look agin.
>
>
>
>
> At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
> >Hi John,
> >
> >I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative
> >Tools, select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there
> >under as Event Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it
> >and the information is in it. I never set this computer up re Event
> >Viewer so assume it is the default mode.
> >
> >Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO
> laptop. It does
> >display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when
> disconnecting.
> >
> >John
> >
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
> >Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
> >To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> >Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
> >
> >Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
> >
> >
> >Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my
> common XP Pro
> >machines which users connect to and there's nothing
> there.... I checked
> >all three area carefully, Application, Security & System.
> Do you mean
> >some other .Log file someplace?
> >
> >
> >
> >--__--__--
> >
> >Message: 21
> >From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
> >To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
> >Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
> >Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
> >
> >Hi Daniel,
> >
> >NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that
> accessed via
> >VNC not sure about Win95 Win98
> >
> >John
> >_______________________________________________
> >VNC-List mailing list
> >VNC-List [at] realvnc
> >To remove yourself from the list visit:
> >http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
> _______________________________________________
> VNC-List mailing list
> VNC-List [at] realvnc
> To remove yourself from the list visit:
> http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


JWall at agric

Oct 13, 2004, 3:09 PM

Post #14 of 16 (975 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Thanks John,

I'm learning fast. If you want to see what I am mainly hope to for my
employer go to this link.

http://agspsrv34.agric.wa.gov.au/climate/livedata/sumpages.htm

I work for the Department of Agriculture Western Australia

The data is up on our external website within 6 minutes of it occurring in
the paddock.

I provide upto the minute weather statistics near real time from paddock to
website within a few minutes of it happening.

All of our pc are Windows 95 (doesn't suffer resource leakages that Windows
98 does) and using DOS with QBASIC V4.5 as our processing power. The QBASIC
programme writes the HTML code for our webpages. These are transferred using
SecondCopy as a file transfer programme. Works great.

I am located in Merredin Western Australia.

Regards,

John

-----Original Message-----
From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 22:00
To: Wall, John; vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC



I was not aware that RVNC does not do File Transfers. We use TVNC for
traveling user's remote access back to their desktops, therefore FT is
important, which TVNC does fairly well. (Only minor annoyance with TVNC FT
is can't see remote PC's Network Shares, unless specifically mapped as Drive
letters.)

Thanks for your quick comment on RVNC vs TVNC. FT alone is a breaker for
us.


jnw at realvnc

Oct 13, 2004, 4:35 PM

Post #15 of 16 (976 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

Guys,

Yes, file transfer is something we plan to support, in a future release.

Cheers,

Wez @ RealVNC Ltd.


> -----Original Message-----
> From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc
> [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc] On Behalf Of Wall, John
> Sent: 13 October 2004 15:06
> To: 'John'; Wall, John; vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
> Hi John,
>
> Wez has remarked in another email re another subject that vnc
> v4 does do event logging so I guess that is the answer.
>
> Real VNC has been good to me and I am the only IT person in
> my particular field using it and my time is precious. I have
> been advised to use Tight VNC however the existing Real VNC
> has been all I have needed so far. I have been advised that
> Tight VNC can provide file transfers which Real VNC does not.
> Whether the Real VNC team are looking at this I am not sure.
> It doesn't particularly fuss me as I just use Windows
> Exploring to transfer files within our intranet.
>
> John
>
> Ps when time permits I may look at Tight VNC
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
> Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 21:46
> To: Wall, John; vnc-list [at] realvnc
> Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
>
>
> Writing to OS Event Logs is done at the application level.
> Most M$ programs
> do it by common design. All other applications, such as xVNC
> have to do it
> intentionally.
>
> Here's simple example code for any VB application:
> Dim appLog As New System.Diagnostics.EventLog
> appLog.Source = "This Application's Name"
> appLog.WriteEntry("An entry to the Application event log.")
>
>
> In your RVNC 4, there might be an options panel on server
> side with user
> settings for level (frequency) of event logging, or at least
> I would hope
> so.
>
>
> Have you also looked at TightVNC? Maybe offer up your
> comment of one vs the
> other?
>
>
>
> At 09:42 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
> >John,
> >
> >I am using RealVnc V4 however I would have thought it was up to the
> >operating system i.e. XP/NT to determine if it will log an
> event rather
> than
> >VNC triggering it.
> >
> >I don't know but logic would say the trigger would be the
> event operating
> >system.
> >
> >Wez what do you say ??
> >
> >John
> >
> >-----Original Message-----
> >From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
> >Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 21:26
> >To: Wall, John; 'John'; vnc-list [at] realvnc
> >Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
> >
> >
> >
> >Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log
> entries are
> >made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't looked at TVNC
> vs RVNC in well
> >over a year.... maybe I should look agin.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
> >>Hi John,
> >>
> >>I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select
> Administrative Tools,
> >>select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears
> there under as
> >Event
> >>Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and
> the information
> >is
> >>in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so
> assume it is the
> >>default mode.
> >>
> >>Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO
> laptop. It does
> >>display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when
> disconnecting.
> >>
> >>John
> >>
> >>-----Original Message-----
> >>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
> >>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
> >>To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
> >>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
> >>
> >>Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
> >>
> >>
> >>Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my
> common XP Pro
> >>machines which users connect to and there's nothing
> there.... I checked
> all
> >>three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do
> you mean some
> >>other .Log file someplace?
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >>--__--__--
> >>
> >>Message: 21
> >>From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
> >>To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>,
> vnc-list [at] realvnc
> >>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
> >>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
> >>
> >>Hi Daniel,
> >>
> >>NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that
> accessed via
> VNC
> >>not sure about Win95 Win98
> >>
> >>John
> >>_______________________________________________
> >>VNC-List mailing list
> >>VNC-List [at] realvnc
> >>To remove yourself from the list visit:
> >>http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
> _______________________________________________
> VNC-List mailing list
> VNC-List [at] realvnc
> To remove yourself from the list visit:
> http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list


alan at eshelmanappraisals

Oct 13, 2004, 8:05 PM

Post #16 of 16 (974 views)
Permalink
RE: How to track use of VNC [In reply to]

The only thing I would add to John Walll's directions to find
'Administrative Tools' is, when yo go to the Control Panel, choose the
Classic View' to see Administrative Tools. It is not obvious where it is if
you are using the Category View (the default setting).

Alan Watchorn
alan [at] eshelmanappraisals
(760) 692-4300
-----Original Message-----
From: vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc [mailto:vnc-list-admin [at] realvnc]On
Behalf Of John
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 6:26 AM
To: Wall, John; 'John'; vnc-list [at] realvnc
Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC


Maybe it's because we're using TightVNC, maybe no Event Log entries are
made.... are you using RealVNC? I haven't looked at TVNC vs RVNC in well
over a year.... maybe I should look agin.




At 09:04 AM 10/13/2004, Wall, John wrote:
>Hi John,
>
>I am using XP PRO, I go via the Control Panel select Administrative Tools,
>select Event Viewer, Select Applications and it appears there under as
Event
>Viewer (local) and then and entry VNC double click it and the information
is
>in it. I never set this computer up re Event Viewer so assume it is the
>default mode.
>
>Can't help further than explained above for my XP PRO laptop. It does
>display the incoming IP addressed when connecting and when disconnecting.
>
>John
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: John [mailto:johnrealvnc [at] sensorysims]
>Sent: Wednesday, 13 October 2004 19:24
>To: vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>
>Regarding John Wall's reply about XP Event Log...
>
>
>Where in the Event Log? I just searched thru one of my common XP Pro
>machines which users connect to and there's nothing there.... I checked all
>three area carefully, Application, Security & System. Do you mean some
>other .Log file someplace?
>
>
>
>--__--__--
>
>Message: 21
>From: "Wall, John" <JWall [at] agric>
>To: "'DKing [at] hbgrpins'" <DKing [at] hbgrpins>, vnc-list [at] realvnc
>Subject: RE: How to track use of VNC
>Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:46:29 +0800
>
>Hi Daniel,
>
>NT & XP have an event log that records the IP address that accessed via VNC
>not sure about Win95 Win98
>
>John
>_______________________________________________
>VNC-List mailing list
>VNC-List [at] realvnc
>To remove yourself from the list visit:
>http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list
_______________________________________________
VNC-List mailing list
VNC-List [at] realvnc
To remove yourself from the list visit:
http://www.realvnc.com/mailman/listinfo/vnc-list

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded
 
 


Interested in having your list archived? Contact Gossamer Threads
 
  Web Applications & Managed Hosting Powered by Gossamer Threads Inc.