Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

connecting to server on local lan (192.168.0.x)

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

j2ee at flashmail

connecting to server on local lan (192.168.0.x)

I can not seem to get VNC to work over
the internet. I can get it to work
locally within my home lan but not
over a public IP address.

I have the following setup:
ISP: earthlink

LAN settings:
Netgear 802.11b wireless router
with a local IP of 192.168.0.1
netmask of local lan = 255.255.255.0
Windows box has ip of 192.168.0.50

Wan Settings:
The router gets a public IP address
like 66.xx.xx.xx and has a netmask
of 255.255.255.255 assigned (from earthlink)

In the netgear router settings (Port Forwarding)
I have:
Start Port = 5900
End Port = 5905
Server 192.168.0.50 (lan ip of windows box)

When I try to connect, I simply enter in
the public ip that the router picks up
from earthlink (66.xx.xx.xx)

I get an error dialog: "Failed to connect to the server".

If I enter the ip: 192.168.0.50 (local lan ip of the
windows box running the VNC server, I can connect ok).

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks

whooper at freeshell

Re: connecting to server on local lan (192.168.0.x) [In reply to]

monk said:

> When I try to connect, I simply enter in
> the public ip that the router picks up
> from earthlink (66.xx.xx.xx)
>
> I get an error dialog: "Failed to connect to the server".
>
> If I enter the ip: 192.168.0.50 (local lan ip of the
> windows box running the VNC server, I can connect ok).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

So you are doing a test from a machine with the 192.168.0.x address?
Sounds like a problem with your NAT box not getting things translated from
the internal network. Have you tried it from another location?
--
William Hooper

jerry at westrick

Re: connecting to server on local lan (192.168.0.x) [In reply to]

Dear Mr. M.

Thanks for explaining your situation in such detail, It
helps us help you...

On Sun, 2003-05-04 at 09:25, monk wrote:
> I can not seem to get VNC to work over
> the internet. I can get it to work
> locally within my home lan but not
> over a public IP address.
>
> I have the following setup:
> ISP: earthlink
>
> LAN settings:
> Netgear 802.11b wireless router
> with a local IP of 192.168.0.1
> netmask of local lan = 255.255.255.0
> Windows box has ip of 192.168.0.50
>
> Wan Settings:
> The router gets a public IP address
> like 66.xx.xx.xx and has a netmask
> of 255.255.255.255 assigned (from earthlink)
>
> In the netgear router settings (Port Forwarding)
> I have:
> Start Port = 5900
> End Port = 5905
> Server 192.168.0.50 (lan ip of windows box)
>
> When I try to connect, I simply enter in
> the public ip that the router picks up
> from earthlink (66.xx.xx.xx)
>
> I get an error dialog: "Failed to connect to the server".
>
> If I enter the ip: 192.168.0.50 (local lan ip of the
> windows box running the VNC server, I can connect ok).
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks

Okay, It looks like when you try to access from the internet,
the address is not translated, and forwarded. By default
routers / firewalls donot do this. You have to add a special
configuration to the firewall/router for this to work. It
was not clear weither you did this or not.

The easiest way to test if the configuration works is
to type "telnet 66.x.x.x 5900" in a "Dos Box" (assuming your
that the vnc worked within in the lan with 192.168.0.50:0...)

If the VNC server is there, than you will see a Line like "RFP 3.0"
and other stuff. If it don't work you'll see "Connection Refused".

Try it from inside you network first to see the proper result.

Jerry Westrick

j2ee at flashmail

RE: connecting to server on local lan (192.168.0.x) [In reply to]

The earthlink modem is only a modem and not a router
so there is no way to configure or setup to allow
port 5900 through. I was told by tech support that
it passes whatever it gets so the configuration is
only needed on the netgear router side, which I
have done. The modem passes info to the router
(66.* for public IP and then traffic is routed
to 192.* for local lan)

When I do a test within the local lan (viewer on 192.168.0.x
and server on 192.168.0.x) everything works ok. When I try
to hit the public IP however I get "failed to connect to
server" see below. I have tried inside and outside the local
lan to the public ip and nothing works.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

thanks

---
[...]

sbest at best

Re: connecting to server on local lan (192.168.0.x) [In reply to]

Monk:

Heya. Since you setup the "endport" to be 5905, I just
wanted to check to be sure that your VNC Server is running on
"Display 5" on that PC? if it's running on "Display 0", which
the default, then your "endport" should be, of course, 5900 and
not 5905. Worth asking about, I guess. :)

To test your firewall settings, startup a web browser
on your VNC Server and connect to http://www.GoToMyVNC.com and
run the scan there. It checks "Display 0" thru "Display 9" to
see if any of them are open.

hope this helps,
Scott