Mailing List Archive: VNC: list

Java viewers on Macs and W3.1

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

ggibbs at hgmp

Mar 2, 1998, 7:46 AM

Java viewers on Macs and W3.1

Our interest in vnc is to provide access to X programs
on as wide a range of platforms as possible, where
we have no control over the desk top machine. In this
situation the Java version of the viewer looks most
interesting.

We have had success with Windows 95 and NT using Netscape
and IE.

We have had less success with Windows 3.1 and Macs using
Netscape. In fact, we have had little success with 3.1
running Java applets in NS 3.01b or 4.04. Apart from
being v. slow, it never gets to run most applets
we have tried.

Older Macs seem to struggle with Java, although we have
been able to run some applets on newer Macs. I tried
the viewer on a Power Mac with 96MB of memory, using
Netscape. It is able to connect to a session and display
it, but when I start to pull up a menu with the mouse
Netscape crashes. It is fairly reproducable. The owner
of the Mac was unwilling to install IE...

Have others had success/problems with these platforms?

Geoff Gibbs

UK-Human Genome Mapping Project-Resource Centre,
Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SB, UK
Tel: 01223 494530 Fax: 01223 494512 E-mail: G.Gibbs [at] hgmp

joel at exc

Mar 2, 1998, 9:00 AM

Java viewers on Macs and W3.1 [In reply to]

>We have had less success with Windows 3.1 and Macs using
>Netscape. In fact, we have had little success with 3.1
>running Java applets in NS 3.01b or 4.04. Apart from
>being v. slow, it never gets to run most applets
>we have tried.

I didn't even get as far as you did. I tried NS 3 and 4 under Win95,
and neither managed to display a remote vnc screen.

-Joel
(joel [at] exc)

dave.capella at cornell

Mar 2, 1998, 10:34 AM

Re: Java viewers on Macs and W3.1 [In reply to]

>We have had success with Windows 95 and NT using Netscape
>and IE.
>We have had less success with Windows 3.1 and Macs using
>Netscape. In fact, we have had little success with 3.1
>Older Macs seem to struggle with Java, although we have
>been able to run some applets on newer Macs. I tried
>of the Mac was unwilling to install IE...

I share desktops between my Linux, 95 and NT boxes, but
as yet, can't get my Quadra 840 MacOS8 into the act.
I've tried NS 3 & 4 (I'm not willing to install IE, either.)
If anyone has any luck w/w3.1 or Macs (like, has anyone tried
running the java applet in a runtime environment?), I'd like
to hear about it.
...dave
dave w capella mailto:dave.capella [at] cornell
Facilities Management http://www.fm.cornell.edu/
Cornell University

jnw at orl

Mar 3, 1998, 3:18 AM

Re: Java viewers on Macs and W3.1 [In reply to]

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, dave w capella wrote:

> I share desktops between my Linux, 95 and NT boxes, but
> as yet, can't get my Quadra 840 MacOS8 into the act.
> I've tried NS 3 & 4 (I'm not willing to install IE, either.)
> If anyone has any luck w/w3.1 or Macs (like, has anyone tried
> running the java applet in a runtime environment?), I'd like
> to hear about it.

I have used VNC remotely using the Mac OS Java Runtime's applet runner.
The classes downloaded and the desktops ran perfectly, both Unix world and
PC ones. On the same PowerMac, netscape 4 would crash if connected to a
VNC session using Java, so I suspect the problem is a Java VM-related one
rather than a bug in the applet.

In short, it all appears to work with the dedicated Mac OS Java Runtime.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

James "Wez" Weatherall
Tel : Work - 343000

dave.capella at cornell

Mar 3, 1998, 4:46 AM

Re: Java viewers on Macs and W3.1 [In reply to]

>I have used VNC remotely using the Mac OS Java Runtime's applet runner.
>VNC session using Java, so I suspect the problem is a Java VM-related one
>In short, it all appears to work with the dedicated Mac OS Java Runtime.

Encouraged by that, I grabbed the Java runtime and gave it a shot.
Even after kicking it's memory allocation up to 8mb (kept crashing),
it took several minutes for each screen update (trying to type 'ls').

All other viewers (95, NT, Linux, Netscape on NT & Linux) run great.
Guess you're right, the applet's not the problem; just need a PPC. 8^\

Thanks for a terrific package,
...dave
dave w capella mailto:dave.capella [at] cornell
Facilities Management http://www.fm.cornell.edu/
Cornell University 255-7792

VNC list RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded