running with varnish, I get large number of errors telling "hit on
uncacheable objects". It seems that varnish ignores(at least some of)
uncacheable headers. I am just using the default configurations and not
familiar with vcl. Would really appreciate if you tell me how to solve the
problem

Regards
Shahab

contact at jpluscplusm

Re: ignoring the "uncacheable" header [In reply to]

On 15 April 2012 18:14, shahab bakhtiyari <shahab371 [at] gmail> wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> I am doing some benchmarking tests using polygraph tool. Polygraph simulates
> both client and server processes to benchmark proxies. When running with
> varnish, I get large number of errors telling "hit on uncacheable objects".
> It seems that varnish ignores(at least some of) uncacheable headers. I am
> just using the default configurations and not familiar with vcl. Would
> really appreciate if you tell me how to solve the problem

Without more information, I'd guess your problem is the same as that
experienced in this thread:
https://www.varnish-cache.org/lists/pipermail/varnish-misc/2012-March/021826.html.
Read the thread through.

Then change your default_ttl setting to 0, or override it in VCL.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Matthews
Oxford, London, UK

shahab371 at gmail

Re: ignoring the "uncacheable" header [In reply to]

Thank you very much Jonathan

I set -t 0 in the /etc/default/varnish file and problem was partialy
solved. Now I dont get the "hit on uncacheable objects" , but there
are still many " hit on reload request" errors. Do you have any clue how
to fix that?

Reagrds
Shahab

Re: ignoring the "uncacheable" header [In reply to]

Hi everybody

Is'nt any answer for my previous quiestion out there? about how to say
varnish not to serve "Reload" requests from the cache?

However I have 2 further questions and really appreciate if somebody could
help, I tried to find it in wiki , without any success

1. How to configure varnish to authenticate from an external server(like
openldap), is it possible at all?

2. How varnish deals with ssl requests, does one need further
configuration for that or it is done by default?

Best regards
Shahab

On 16 April 2012 20:04, shahab bakhtiyari <shahab371 [at] gmail> wrote:

> Thank you very much Jonathan
>
> I set -t 0 in the /etc/default/varnish file and problem was partialy
> solved. Now I dont get the "hit on uncacheable objects" , but there
> are still many " hit on reload request" errors. Do you have any clue how
> to fix that?
>
> Reagrds
> Shahab
>

> On 15 April 2012 19:25, Jonathan Matthews <contact [at] jpluscplusm> wrote:
>
>> On 15 April 2012 18:14, shahab bakhtiyari <shahab371 [at] gmail> wrote:
>> > Hi everybody
>> >
>> > I am doing some benchmarking tests using polygraph tool. Polygraph
>> simulates
>> > both client and server processes to benchmark proxies. When running with
>> > varnish, I get large number of errors telling "hit on uncacheable
>> objects".
>> > It seems that varnish ignores(at least some of) uncacheable headers. I
>> am
>> > just using the default configurations and not familiar with vcl. Would
>> > really appreciate if you tell me how to solve the problem
>>
>> Without more information, I'd guess your problem is the same as that
>> experienced in this thread:
>>
>> https://www.varnish-cache.org/lists/pipermail/varnish-misc/2012-March/021826.html
>> .
>> Read the thread through.
>>
>> Then change your default_ttl setting to 0, or override it in VCL.
>>
>> Jonathan
>> --
>> Jonathan Matthews
>> Oxford, London, UK
>> http://www.jpluscplusm.com/contact.html

lampe at hauke-lampe

Re: ignoring the "uncacheable" header [In reply to]

Hello Shahab

On 18.04.2012 11:05, shahab bakhtiyari wrote:

> Is'nt any answer for my previous quiestion out there? about how to say
> varnish not to serve "Reload" requests from the cache?

Use VCL to force a cache miss if the client sets Cache-Control: no-cache
See https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/VCLExampleEnableForceRefresh

> 1. How to configure varnish to authenticate from an external server(like
> openldap), is it possible at all?

varnish doesn't authenticate users (except for the ACL lists of IP
adresses). You could program a vmod and query it from within VCL.
Authentication should be handled by the backend, IMHO.

> 2. How varnish deals with ssl requests,

It doesn't. Use an SSL proxy in front of varnish. nginx or pound come to
mind.

Hauke.
Attachments: signature.asc (0.19 KB)

shahab371 at gmail

Re: ignoring the "uncacheable" header [In reply to]

Hi again , Thanx for your answer,
But I got the following error

Message from VCC-compiler:
Unknown variable 'req.hash_always_miss'