Mailing List Archive: Varnish: Misc

Can varnish listen 80 and 443 port at the same time

jewel.nuruddin at eastbeam

Feb 14, 2012, 7:22 PM

Can varnish listen 80 and 443 port at the same time

Hi
Is it possible to run varnish 80 and 443 port at the same time?
If yes then how?
My site is running both http:// and https://
Please help me.

Thanks
Jewel

drtaber at northcarolina

Feb 14, 2012, 7:28 PM

Re: Can varnish listen 80 and 443 port at the same time [In reply to]

On Feb 14, 2012, at 10:23 PM, "Jewel Nuruddin" <jewel.nuruddin [at] eastbeam> wrote:

> Hi
> Is it possible to run varnish 80 and 443 port at the same time?
> If yes then how?
> My site is running both http:// and https://
> Please help me.
>
> Thanks
> Jewel
> <ATT00001.c>

Varnish doesn't/can't do SSL traffic.

https://www.varnish-cache.org/docs/trunk/phk/ssl.html

hugues.alary at gmail

Feb 14, 2012, 7:29 PM

Re: Can varnish listen 80 and 443 port at the same time [In reply to]

Hi,

Unfortunately varnish does not support HTTPS and it is not on the roadmap.

I would recommend you to use Pound.

Good luck,
-H

On Tue, Feb 14, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Jewel Nuruddin <
jewel.nuruddin [at] eastbeam> wrote:

> Hi
> Is it possible to run varnish 80 and 443 port at the same time?
> If yes then how?
> My site is running both http:// and https://
> Please help me.
>
> Thanks
> Jewel

Hugues ALARY

savetheinternet at tinyboard

Feb 14, 2012, 10:22 PM

Re: Can varnish listen 80 and 443 port at the same time [In reply to]

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM, Jewel Nuruddin
<jewel.nuruddin [at] eastbeam> wrote:
> Hi
> Is it possible to run varnish 80 and 443 port at the same time?
> If yes then how?
> My site is running both http:// and https://
> Please help me.
>
> Thanks
> Jewel

Although Varnish doesn't do SSL, you could put a minimal httpd in
front of it to handle HTTPS connections. I use nginx and
HttpProxyModule for this.

Thanks,
Michael

mattias at nucleus

Feb 14, 2012, 10:57 PM

RE: Can varnish listen 80 and 443 port at the same time [In reply to]

> Unfortunately varnish does not support HTTPS and it is not on the
roadmap.
> I would recommend you to use Pound.

I have good experience with Nginx as SSL offloader as well. Let it be a
proxy to your Varnish on port 80 so it only does the SSL encryption and
you still have your caching backend.

Mattias