Mailing List Archive: Varnish: Misc

Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests

yamsergey at gmail

Dec 19, 2011, 7:10 AM

Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests

Hello. How to enable Backend conditional requests (If-None-Match and
If-Modified-Since) for the Varnish 3.0.1. Now it doesn't send to me
headers (If-None-Match and If-Modified-Since) when max-age=0 or
expired, on first response i set ETag and Last-Modified headers. Subs
and stale_obj from
https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/BackendConditionalRequests
throw exception in "*.vcl" file when compile.

yamsergey at gmail

Dec 19, 2011, 7:26 AM

Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests [In reply to]

Hello. How to enable Backend conditional requests (If-None-Match and
If-Modified-Since) for the Varnish 3.0.1. Now it doesn't send to me
headers (If-None-Match and If-Modified-Since) when max-age=0 or
expired, on first response i set ETag and Last-Modified headers. Subs
and stale_obj from
https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/BackendConditionalRequests
throw exception in "*.vcl" file when compile.

tfheen at varnish-software

Jan 6, 2012, 2:10 AM

Re: Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests [In reply to]

]] Сергей Ямщиков

> Hello. How to enable Backend conditional requests (If-None-Match and
> If-Modified-Since) for the Varnish 3.0.1. Now it doesn't send to me
> headers (If-None-Match and If-Modified-Since) when max-age=0 or
> expired, on first response i set ETag and Last-Modified headers. Subs
> and stale_obj from
> https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/BackendConditionalRequests
> throw exception in "*.vcl" file when compile.

As it says on that wiki page: it's a proposed feature, it's not yet
incorporated.

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Technical lead, Varnish Software

hugo.cisneiros at gmail

Jan 6, 2012, 6:52 AM

Re: Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests [In reply to]

2012/1/6 Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen [at] varnish-software>:
>> Hello. How to enable Backend conditional requests (If-None-Match and
>> If-Modified-Since) for the Varnish 3.0.1. Now it doesn't send to me
>> headers (If-None-Match and If-Modified-Since) when max-age=0 or
>> expired, on first response i set ETag and Last-Modified headers. Subs
>> and stale_obj from
>> https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/BackendConditionalRequests
>> throw exception in "*.vcl" file when compile.
>
> As it says on that wiki page: it's a proposed feature, it's not yet
> incorporated.

By the way, I have tested the experimental-ims branch which contains
the feature and it's working nice! :)

--
[]'s
Hugo

jocelyn.delarosa at smartjog

Jan 9, 2012, 2:55 AM

Re: Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests [In reply to]

On 01/06/2012 03:52 PM, Hugo Cisneiros (Eitch) wrote:
> 2012/1/6 Tollef Fog Heen<tfheen [at] varnish-software>:
>
>>> Hello. How to enable Backend conditional requests (If-None-Match and
>>> If-Modified-Since) for the Varnish 3.0.1. Now it doesn't send to me
>>> headers (If-None-Match and If-Modified-Since) when max-age=0 or
>>> expired, on first response i set ETag and Last-Modified headers. Subs
>>> and stale_obj from
>>> https://www.varnish-cache.org/trac/wiki/BackendConditionalRequests
>>> throw exception in "*.vcl" file when compile.
>>>
>> As it says on that wiki page: it's a proposed feature, it's not yet
>> incorporated.
>>
> By the way, I have tested the experimental-ims branch which contains
> the feature and it's working nice! :)

Hi,I have also tested the experimental-ims branch and it's working great!
Are there any (hidden) bugs that prevent its use in production mode?

We are very interested by this feature, so if some work is needed we could
do it.

--
Jocelyn De La Rosa
Smartjog - Developer - Research& Engineering

perbu at varnish-software

Jan 9, 2012, 3:20 AM

Re: Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests [In reply to]

On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM, Jocelyn De La Rosa <
jocelyn.delarosa [at] smartjog> wrote:

Hi,I have also tested the experimental-ims branch and it's working great!

Are there any (hidden) bugs that prevent its use in production mode?

There are currently 5 bugs which we have not yet discovered. :-)

On a serious note, if you _really_ need it you could try it carefully in
production. Try it with varnishreplay, then try giving it a small fraction
of your production load before giving it all of your traffic. After all if
it crashes it is not the end of the world - you'd loose the content of the
cache but hopefully not more.

--
Per Buer
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer

geoff at uplex

Jan 9, 2012, 4:23 AM

Re: Varnish 3.0.1 Backend conditional requests [In reply to]

On 01/ 9/12 11:55 AM, Jocelyn De La Rosa wrote:

> Hi,I have also tested the experimental-ims branch and it's working great!
> Are there any (hidden) bugs that prevent its use in production mode?
>
> We are very interested by this feature, so if some work is needed we could
> do it.

Actually, there may be some hidden bugs. Kristian Lyngstol set up some
automated stress tests for the various branches a few months ago, and
the experimental-ims branch was not passing all of them. (The branch has
been out of the automation for a while, I presume because there haven't
been any updates.)

Also the branch is not currently up to date with the changes that have
been done on the master branch, especially the changes in memory
management (workspaces).

These matters are on my to do list. %^)
Let's please get in touch offline if you plan to make contributions.

phk recently announced plans on the dev list for an upcoming new
release, including adding the IMS feature. These issues will need to be
resolved by then, of course.

IMS actually almost made it into 3.0, but there was some unresolved
discussion then about whether the configuration in VCL as currently
implemented is the best way to go. There was an idea under consideration
that, rather than have stale_obj and the two different keep and grace
intervals after TTL elapses, there could be a new vcl sub (say,
vcl_stale()) to cover both the grace and keep cases.

I've had some feedback from people who've tried the experimental-ims
branch that they're happy with the configuration the way it is. At any
rate, a consensus about that will of course be necessary.

Best,
Geoff
- --
** * * UPLEX - Nils Goroll Systemoptimierung

Schwanenwik 24
22087 Hamburg

Tel +49 40 2880 5731
Mob +49 176 636 90917