Mailing List Archive: Varnish: Misc

things to consider with caching an ecommerce website

sahmed1020 at gmail

Nov 8, 2011, 12:22 PM

things to consider with caching an ecommerce website

What are the things you have to consider with using varnish on say an
ecommerce website?

Pages that display the product, assuming no customization for logged in
users, means I can serve cached pages to both logged in and anonymous users.

But if I want to display the logged in users name on the page, that means
the page cannot be cached correct?

l at lrowe

Nov 8, 2011, 12:42 PM

Re: things to consider with caching an ecommerce website [In reply to]

On 8 November 2011 12:22, S Ahmed <sahmed1020 [at] gmail> wrote:
> What are the things you have to consider with using varnish on say an
> ecommerce website?
> Pages that display the product, assuming no customization for logged in
> users, means I can serve cached pages to both logged in and anonymous users.
> But if I want to display the logged in users name on the page, that means
> the page cannot be cached correct?

You can show the logged in user's name on a cached page using either
ESI or some simple javascript (set some user data on a cookie on
login, display this in appropriate place with javascript.)

Laurence