Mailing List Archive: Varnish: Misc

A new user with a few questions

nicole4pt at gmail

Sep 21, 2011, 4:35 PM

A new user with a few questions

Hello all
I am converting a number of reverse proxy squid servers to Varnish and I
have a few issues I haven't been able to solve that I hope you can help me
with.
I am using Varnish 3.0.1 on FreeBSD 8.X and 3 (smallish) disks for the
data

1) Any tunes, recommendations or feelings for/against using ZFS as the file
system? I had been using ZFS for squid. I have tried UFS with Soft-Updates
off. Seems like UFS would be fine and use less memory but would ZFS provide
any real speed difference? I realize more in memory is always better, but I
am stuck using older servers with only 4G of memory.

2) When using both ZFS and UFS on FreeBSD, I see a 43G varnish-storage.bin
file that has been created on my disk, however df -h only shows 31k or 84K
on UFS of disk usage. How can that be?

3) What would be the Varnish equivalent for a squid parameter like this?
Basically how to convert/force a full reload request into an If Modified
Since?
refresh_pattern -i \.xml 0 20% 4320 reload-into-ims

4) When testing, I am seeing these in the headers. I have tried a number of
things but I can't seem to remove them.
How do I remove these? If not all, especially the Client-Peer IP address.

Client-Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:10:28 GMT
Client-Peer: 10.0.2.3:80
Client-Response-Num: 1

Thanks!

Nicole

mit at stagename

Sep 21, 2011, 10:21 PM

Re: A new user with a few questions [In reply to]

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Nicole H. <nicole4pt [at] gmail> wrote:

> 4) When testing, I am seeing these in the headers. I have tried a number
> of things but I can't seem to remove them.
> How do I remove these? If not all, especially the Client-Peer IP address.
>
> Client-Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:10:28 GMT
> Client-Peer: 10.0.2.3:80
> Client-Response-Num: 1

I've seen something like that added by the LWP (libwww-perl) library in the
request headers. Are you using that for your tests?

I think you can remove them with "remove req.http.Client-Date" in the
vcl_recv or vcl_fetch sections

-Mit

> Thanks!
>

> Nicole

Will 'Mit' Rowe
Stagename*
*1-866-326-3098
mit [at] stagename <josh [at] stagename>
www.stagename.com
Twitter: @stagename

*The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this
prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the
sender and delete all material contained herein from your computer.*

nicole4pt at gmail

Sep 22, 2011, 12:02 PM

Re: A new user with a few questions [In reply to]

Hi
I tried using: remove req.http.Client-Date; remove req.http.Client-Peer;
In vcl_recv and in vcl_fetch to no avail.

Any other suggestions? Is this normal behavior I am trying to turn off?

Thanks

Nicole

EX:

GET -e -d -s http://cachetest-server1.domain.com/image.png
200 OK
Cache-Control: public, max-age=259200
Connection: close
Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:03:56 GMT
Client-Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:57:28 GMT
Client-Peer: 10.0.2.1:80
Client-Response-Num: 1

--
---
Nicole Melody Harrington - UNIX Systems Mistress

perbu at varnish-software

Sep 22, 2011, 12:44 PM

Re: A new user with a few questions [In reply to]

Hi.

If I'm not mistaken those aren't actually headers sent over the the wire,
it's just some LWP internal thingy that gets printed out. "varnishlog" will
show you what is actually crossing the wire.

Per.

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 9:02 PM, Nicole H. <nicole4pt [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi
> I tried using: remove req.http.Client-Date; remove req.http.Client-Peer;
> In vcl_recv and in vcl_fetch to no avail.
>
> Any other suggestions? Is this normal behavior I am trying to turn off?
>

> Thanks
>

> Nicole
>

> EX:
>
> GET -e -d -s http://cachetest-server1.domain.com/image.png
> 200 OK
> Cache-Control: public, max-age=259200
> Connection: close
> Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:57:28 GMT
> Via: 1.1 varnish
> Accept-Ranges: bytes
> Age: 3
> Server: lighttpd
> Expires: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 18:57:24 GMT
> Last-Modified: Thu, 18 Mar 2010 19:03:56 GMT
> Client-Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 18:57:28 GMT
> Client-Peer: 10.0.2.1:80
> Client-Response-Num: 1
>

> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 10:21 PM, Mit Rowe <mit [at] stagename> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 7:35 PM, Nicole H. <nicole4pt [at] gmail> wrote:
>>

>>> 4) When testing, I am seeing these in the headers. I have tried a number
>>> of things but I can't seem to remove them.
>>> How do I remove these? If not all, especially the Client-Peer IP
>>> address.
>>>
>>> Client-Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2011 01:10:28 GMT
>>> Client-Peer: 10.0.2.3:80
>>> Client-Response-Num: 1
>>>

>> I've seen something like that added by the LWP (libwww-perl) library in
>> the request headers. Are you using that for your tests?
>>
>> I think you can remove them with "remove req.http.Client-Date" in the
>> vcl_recv or vcl_fetch sections
>>
>> -Mit
>>

>>> Thanks!
>>>

>>> Nicole

>> --
>> Will 'Mit' Rowe
>> Stagename*
>> *1-866-326-3098
>> mit [at] stagename <josh [at] stagename>
>> www.stagename.com
>> Twitter: @stagename
>>
>> *The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to
>> which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged
>> material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this
>> information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is
>> prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please contact the
>> sender and delete all material contained herein from your computer.*
>>

> --
> ---
> Nicole Melody Harrington - UNIX Systems Mistress
> admin1 [at] picturetrail -- http://www.picturetrail.com
> Obey or the button gets it!

Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer
*Varnish makes websites fly!*
Whitepapers <http://www.varnish-software.com/whitepapers> |
Video<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7t2Sp174eI> |
Twitter <https://twitter.com/varnishsoftware>

nicole4pt at gmail

Sep 22, 2011, 2:03 PM

Re: A new user with a few questions [In reply to]

DOH! Ok yes, I completely missed that. My bad.

Nicole