Thank you.

-Paras

tfheen at varnish-software

Re: Changes in vcl [In reply to]

]] Paras Fadte

| Have changes been made in vcl such that "obj.cacheable" is now
| referred to as "beresp.cacheable" .

obj.* was renamed to beresp.* with the change to version 2.1, yes.

| Is this the only change ?

I recommend reading the changelog, it should all be documented there. :-)

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software

dtownrobbrown at gmail

Re: Changes in vcl [In reply to]

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 3:37 AM, Paras Fadte <plfgoa [at] gmail> wrote:

> Hi ,
>
> Have changes been made in vcl such that "obj.cacheable" is now referred to
> as "beresp.cacheable" . Is this the only change ? Is this change applicable
> in all functions in vcl configuration file or just limited to some functions
> . example only in vcl_fetch "obj" is replaced by "beresp".
>
> Thank you.
>
> -Paras

Ah, yes... I ran into this same issue because I had originally set up
Varnish on a test Ubuntu workstation and just installed the package from the
repository, which happened to be v.2.0.3. I had my config all dialed in and
working there, and then built a new box with CentOS and installed the 2.1
RPM from sourceforge. When I copied my "working" config over and tried to
start varnishd, it just "died". No error message. Nothing. Took me a good
chunk of time of debugging before I finally ran across the note in the
changelog and was like "ah ha!".
It would be nice if:
a) There was some syntax checking on startup that would tell you that obj is
not valid in vcl_fetch (anymore).
b) Put a note on WIKI pages that have "example" configs that will only work
on 2.0.
(I'll volunteer for b if someone wants to send me the code to edit wiki).

tfheen at varnish-software

Re: Changes in vcl [In reply to]

]] Rob Brown

| a) There was some syntax checking on startup that would tell you that obj is
| not valid in vcl_fetch (anymore).

There is, but I believe the init scripts on RH don't communicate the
startup failure back to the user properly.

| b) Put a note on WIKI pages that have "example" configs that will only work
| on 2.0.
| (I'll volunteer for b if someone wants to send me the code to edit wiki).

What is your wiki user name? I'm happy to give you the edit bit.

(Please just update them to work with 2.1 rather than marking them as
2.0-only, thought).

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software

ingvar at redpill-linpro

Re: Changes in vcl [In reply to]

* Rob Brown
> | a) There was some syntax checking on startup that would tell you that obj is
> | not valid in vcl_fetch (anymore).

* Tollef Fog Heen
> There is, but I believe the init scripts on RH don't communicate the
> startup failure back to the user properly.

I'll file a bug against the EPEL package, and ask the package maintainer
to fix that, if possible. On Red Hat, It's costume to redirect stdout
and stderr to /dev/null, since most daemons have their own logfiles.

Any chance to get that error message visible in the syslog?

Ingvar