Mailing List Archive: Varnish: Dev

Website material (New thread)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All Varnish dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

andersb at vgnett

Jul 10, 2006, 2:06 PM

Website material (New thread)

Sorry, I used a reply and the last mail ended up in the Logging thread.
Here it is again in it's own thread:

Hi,

I have worked some on the website material:

http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/

the welcome page and featurelist page are the only ones with any content
so far.

I am aware that the pages don't show right in Firefox and Safari, but I
asure you they work great in IE :) The designer is gonna come up with some
code that works better soon.

I have more content available and will add more this week if I have time.

Anders Berg

andersb at vgnett

Jul 10, 2006, 2:06 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

Sorry, I used a reply and the last mail ended up in the Logging thread.
Here it is again in it's own thread:

Hi,

I have worked some on the website material:

http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/

the welcome page and featurelist page are the only ones with any content
so far.

I am aware that the pages don't show right in Firefox and Safari, but I
asure you they work great in IE :) The designer is gonna come up with some
code that works better soon.

I have more content available and will add more this week if I have time.

Anders Berg

andersb at vgnett

Jul 13, 2006, 4:40 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

> Sorry, I used a reply and the last mail ended up in the Logging thread.
> Here it is again in it's own thread:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have worked some on the website material:
>
> http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
> the welcome page and featurelist page are the only ones with any content
> so far.
>
> I am aware that the pages don't show right in Firefox and Safari, but I
> asure you they work great in IE :) The designer is gonna come up with some
> code that works better soon.

A new CSS file is uploaded, and should work for the more exotic browsers.
Give it a click and let me know.

Anders Berg

> I have more content available and will add more this week if I have time.
>
> Anders Berg

andersb at vgnett

Jul 13, 2006, 4:40 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

> Sorry, I used a reply and the last mail ended up in the Logging thread.
> Here it is again in it's own thread:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have worked some on the website material:
>
> http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
> the welcome page and featurelist page are the only ones with any content
> so far.
>
> I am aware that the pages don't show right in Firefox and Safari, but I
> asure you they work great in IE :) The designer is gonna come up with some
> code that works better soon.

A new CSS file is uploaded, and should work for the more exotic browsers.
Give it a click and let me know.

Anders Berg

> I have more content available and will add more this week if I have time.
>
> Anders Berg

andersb at vgnett

Jul 22, 2006, 9:51 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

> Sorry, I used a reply and the last mail ended up in the Logging thread.
> Here it is again in it's own thread:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have worked some on the website material:
>
> http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
> the welcome page and featurelist page are the only ones with any content
> so far.
>
> I am aware that the pages don't show right in Firefox and Safari, but I
> asure you they work great in IE :) The designer is gonna come up with some
> code that works better soon.
>
> I have more content available and will add more this week if I have time.

I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/

I have also added a forum with some Categories to see how it would work
out. When I spoke with Stein on the phone last week we agreed that a forum
might be the right way to interact with users, and keep the mailinglist
for the developers and "power-users". We wanna reach different kinds of
users, even the ones that don't know how to operate in a mailinglist :) My
guess (and Stein's) is that they are more likely to pay for any kind of
support. At the same time a forum is easier to refere to in may ways "Ahh,
I remember I saw an example VCL file on that somewhere in the forum".
Anyway, the forum will eventually have the same design as the webpage,
right now the Lithium-design is the one closest to Varnish.
I have used PunBB as a forum before, and have learned to like it alot,
it's easy to catch up with, and has decent features, no frills.

I will spend more time making webiste better next week, if my back gets
better...

Anders Berg

andersb at vgnett

Jul 22, 2006, 9:51 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

> Sorry, I used a reply and the last mail ended up in the Logging thread.
> Here it is again in it's own thread:
>
> Hi,
>
> I have worked some on the website material:
>
> http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
> the welcome page and featurelist page are the only ones with any content
> so far.
>
> I am aware that the pages don't show right in Firefox and Safari, but I
> asure you they work great in IE :) The designer is gonna come up with some
> code that works better soon.
>
> I have more content available and will add more this week if I have time.

I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/

I have also added a forum with some Categories to see how it would work
out. When I spoke with Stein on the phone last week we agreed that a forum
might be the right way to interact with users, and keep the mailinglist
for the developers and "power-users". We wanna reach different kinds of
users, even the ones that don't know how to operate in a mailinglist :) My
guess (and Stein's) is that they are more likely to pay for any kind of
support. At the same time a forum is easier to refere to in may ways "Ahh,
I remember I saw an example VCL file on that somewhere in the forum".
Anyway, the forum will eventually have the same design as the webpage,
right now the Lithium-design is the one closest to Varnish.
I have used PunBB as a forum before, and have learned to like it alot,
it's easy to catch up with, and has decent features, no frills.

I will spend more time making webiste better next week, if my back gets
better...

Anders Berg

des at linpro

Jul 22, 2006, 2:30 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
> I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
> structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/

OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
the end of the month.

> I have also added a forum with some Categories to see how it would work
> out. When I spoke with Stein on the phone last week we agreed that a forum
> might be the right way to interact with users, and keep the mailinglist
> for the developers and "power-users".

I don't like web forums; I find them an extremely inefficient form of
communication. I don't mind having them... as long as nobody expects
me to participate in them.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer

des at linpro

Jul 22, 2006, 2:30 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
> I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
> structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/

OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
the end of the month.

> I have also added a forum with some Categories to see how it would work
> out. When I spoke with Stein on the phone last week we agreed that a forum
> might be the right way to interact with users, and keep the mailinglist
> for the developers and "power-users".

I don't like web forums; I find them an extremely inefficient form of
communication. I don't mind having them... as long as nobody expects
me to participate in them.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

phk at phk

Jul 22, 2006, 2:39 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

In message <ujr7j25fhus.fsf at cat.linpro.no>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgra
v?= writes:
>"Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
>> I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
>> structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
>OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
>the end of the month.

I have started tagging doc-fodder in the commit messages, I hope
you guys find it useful ?

>> I have also added a forum with some Categories [...]
>
>I don't like web forums; I find them an extremely inefficient form of
>communication. I don't mind having them... as long as nobody expects
>me to participate in them.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I really hate to have to add
another site to my list of daily bookmarks to visit.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

phk at phk

Jul 22, 2006, 2:39 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

v?= writes:
>"Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
>> I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
>> structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
>OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
>the end of the month.

I have started tagging doc-fodder in the commit messages, I hope
you guys find it useful ?

>> I have also added a forum with some Categories [...]
>
>I don't like web forums; I find them an extremely inefficient form of
>communication. I don't mind having them... as long as nobody expects
>me to participate in them.

I'm sort of in the same boat. I really hate to have to add
another site to my list of daily bookmarks to visit.

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

des at linpro

Jul 22, 2006, 3:03 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> I have started tagging doc-fodder in the commit messages, I hope you
> guys find it useful ?

Yes. I've tagged it in my mail box, and plan to start collating it
the coming week.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer

des at linpro

Jul 22, 2006, 3:03 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> I have started tagging doc-fodder in the commit messages, I hope you
> guys find it useful ?

Yes. I've tagged it in my mail box, and plan to start collating it
the coming week.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

andersb at vgnett

Jul 22, 2006, 4:40 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

> "Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
>> I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
>> structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
> OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
> the end of the month.

That's a simple copy job. A bit worse if you mean that all the content
should be done :) I was thinking of registering a domain this week, we
talked about some at one stage or another, I am gonna check their
awailability. Also we need to find a small CMS system for the website.
Open for suggestions, remember this may also have to live on server at
Linpro, and the forum software.

>> I have also added a forum with some Categories to see how it would work
>> out. When I spoke with Stein on the phone last week we agreed that a
>> forum
>> might be the right way to interact with users, and keep the mailinglist
>> for the developers and "power-users".
>
> I don't like web forums; I find them an extremely inefficient form of
> communication. I don't mind having them... as long as nobody expects
> me to participate in them.

Okay, I understand what, and why, you and Poul-Henning hold against
forums. As developers, mailinglists are the best way to communicate. The
situation is a bit different for many possible users. I see 2 ways to
solve this for the benefit of both groups.

1. Forum sends daily digestes to mailinggroup, or for each post. (may have
to be developed, but one can use a "subscribe" to each forum I think).
2. We get a good community going, and appropriate moderators in the forum.
They again gather the stuff that needs to go to the dev group, and post
it. They also function as FAQ updaters. This can be done in many ways.

Any thoughts on this?

Anders Berg

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
> Senior Software Developer
> Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

andersb at vgnett

Jul 22, 2006, 4:40 PM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

> "Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
>> I have done some editing on the webpage with adding and deleting on the
>> structure: http://klikk.vg.no/varnish/
>
> OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
> the end of the month.

That's a simple copy job. A bit worse if you mean that all the content
should be done :) I was thinking of registering a domain this week, we
talked about some at one stage or another, I am gonna check their
awailability. Also we need to find a small CMS system for the website.
Open for suggestions, remember this may also have to live on server at
Linpro, and the forum software.

>> I have also added a forum with some Categories to see how it would work
>> out. When I spoke with Stein on the phone last week we agreed that a
>> forum
>> might be the right way to interact with users, and keep the mailinglist
>> for the developers and "power-users".
>
> I don't like web forums; I find them an extremely inefficient form of
> communication. I don't mind having them... as long as nobody expects
> me to participate in them.

Okay, I understand what, and why, you and Poul-Henning hold against
forums. As developers, mailinglists are the best way to communicate. The
situation is a bit different for many possible users. I see 2 ways to
solve this for the benefit of both groups.

1. Forum sends daily digestes to mailinggroup, or for each post. (may have
to be developed, but one can use a "subscribe" to each forum I think).
2. We get a good community going, and appropriate moderators in the forum.
They again gather the stuff that needs to go to the dev group, and post
it. They also function as FAQ updaters. This can be done in many ways.

Any thoughts on this?

Anders Berg

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
> Senior Software Developer
> Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

des at linpro

Jul 23, 2006, 12:25 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
> "Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav" <des at linpro.no> writes:
> > OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
> > the end of the month.
> That's a simple copy job. A bit worse if you mean that all the content
> should be done :)

Don't worry about the content, that's my responsibility.

> I was thinking of registering a domain this week, we
> talked about some at one stage or another, I am gonna check their
> awailability.

I think varnish.linpro.no should do for now, don't you?

> Also we need to find a small CMS system for the website.
> Open for suggestions, remember this may also have to live on server at
> Linpro, and the forum software.

Linpro has a close relationship with eZ Systems, so eZ Publish is a
natural choice from my point of view. I can set up a test site that
you and your designer can play with before we go live.

> Okay, I understand what, and why, you and Poul-Henning hold against
> forums. As developers, mailinglists are the best way to communicate. The
> situation is a bit different for many possible users. I see 2 ways to
> solve this for the benefit of both groups.

I understand, and I may keep track of the forums in an initial phase
to help them gain momentum, but in the long run I'd prefer not to be
involved.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer

des at linpro

Jul 23, 2006, 12:25 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
> "Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav" <des at linpro.no> writes:
> > OK, let's try to have the static site running on varnish.linpro.no by
> > the end of the month.
> That's a simple copy job. A bit worse if you mean that all the content
> should be done :)

Don't worry about the content, that's my responsibility.

> I was thinking of registering a domain this week, we
> talked about some at one stage or another, I am gonna check their
> awailability.

I think varnish.linpro.no should do for now, don't you?

> Also we need to find a small CMS system for the website.
> Open for suggestions, remember this may also have to live on server at
> Linpro, and the forum software.

Linpro has a close relationship with eZ Systems, so eZ Publish is a
natural choice from my point of view. I can set up a test site that
you and your designer can play with before we go live.

> Okay, I understand what, and why, you and Poul-Henning hold against
> forums. As developers, mailinglists are the best way to communicate. The
> situation is a bit different for many possible users. I see 2 ways to
> solve this for the benefit of both groups.

I understand, and I may keep track of the forums in an initial phase
to help them gain momentum, but in the long run I'd prefer not to be
involved.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

phk at phk

Jul 23, 2006, 12:48 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

In message <ujr1wsczssc.fsf at cat.linpro.no>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= writes:

>> I was thinking of registering a domain this week, we
>> talked about some at one stage or another, I am gonna check their
>> awailability.
>
>I think varnish.linpro.no should do for now, don't you?

Which domain were you thinking of ? squid.no ? :-)

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

In message <ujr1wsczssc.fsf at cat.linpro.no>, Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= writes:

>> I was thinking of registering a domain this week, we
>> talked about some at one stage or another, I am gonna check their
>> awailability.
>
>I think varnish.linpro.no should do for now, don't you?

Which domain were you thinking of ? squid.no ? :-)

phk at FreeBSD.ORG | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe

des at linpro

Jul 23, 2006, 3:25 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Which domain were you thinking of ? squid.no ? :-)

*grin*

I can easily get varnish.no - in fact, I might as well grab it right
away before someone else does... but I was thinking more along the
lines of varnish-cache.org (to mirror squid-cache.org), since
varnish.{com,net,org} are taken.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer

des at linpro

Jul 23, 2006, 3:25 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
> Which domain were you thinking of ? squid.no ? :-)

*grin*

I can easily get varnish.no - in fact, I might as well grab it right
away before someone else does... but I was thinking more along the
lines of varnish-cache.org (to mirror squid-cache.org), since
varnish.{com,net,org} are taken.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer
Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

andersb at vgnett

Jul 23, 2006, 3:30 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

On Jul 23, 2006, at 9:25, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:

> "Anders Berg" <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
>> "Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav" <des at linpro.no> writes:
>>> OK, let's try to have the static site running on
>>> varnish.linpro.no by
>>> the end of the month.
>> That's a simple copy job. A bit worse if you mean that all the
>> content
>> should be done :)
>
> Don't worry about the content, that's my responsibility.
>
>> I was thinking of registering a domain this
>> week, we
>> talked about some at one stage or another, I am gonna check their
>> awailability.
>
> I think varnish.linpro.no should do for now, don't you?

Sure but we will want a URL that is easy in the long run anyway.

www.varnsh-cache.org

is a good domain that is available.

squid.no :) Would be fun, but maybe not so nice :)

>> Also we need to find a small CMS system for the
>> website.
>> Open for suggestions, remember this may also have to live on
>> server at
>> Linpro, and the forum software.
>
> Linpro has a close relationship with eZ Systems, so eZ Publish is a
> natural choice from my point of view. I can set up a test site that
> you and your designer can play with before we go live.

I talked to Stein about it. He meant that eZ was shooting a spurrow
with a cannon, and I agree. I tried installing eZ on klikk.vg.no but
for some reason I keep getting a bug that should have been solved
months ago. Php 5.0 is not supported.
Considering that we could get away with only having the News part of
the site under a easy CMS, maybe that is the way we should go. One
could even use Blogger (supports FTP) and do the design in css and
autoformat it (just an example of how simple it could be done).
I have not searched freshmeat or sf for a small system, but I am
guessing a dime a dozen.

>> Okay, I understand what, and why, you and Poul-Henning hold against
>> forums. As developers, mailinglists are the best way to
>> communicate. The
>> situation is a bit different for many possible users. I see 2 ways to
>> solve this for the benefit of both groups.
>
> I understand, and I may keep track of the forums in an initial phase
> to help them gain momentum, but in the long run I'd prefer not to be
> involved.

Sure. So alternative number 2 could work.

Anders Berg

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
> Senior Software Developer
> Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

andersb at vgnett

Jul 23, 2006, 3:30 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

andersb at vgnett

Jul 23, 2006, 3:40 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

On Jul 23, 2006, at 12:25, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:

> "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
>> Which domain were you thinking of ? squid.no ? :-)
>
> *grin*
>
> I can easily get varnish.no - in fact, I might as well grab it right
> away before someone else does... but I was thinking more along the
> lines of varnish-cache.org (to mirror squid-cache.org), since
> varnish.{com,net,org} are taken.

I think we should not bother with varnish.no. It will never be used.
I am just saying so because I used a couple of weeks last year
cleaning up all the domains VG had registered, and alot of those
"this is close, we should get that one also...", "lets take the .no
also" domains went down the drain without ever beeing used. No part
of Varnish is especially norwegian, but maybe Linpro wants to focus
on this market segment and therefor can use the .no?

Anders Berg

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
> Senior Software Developer
> Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

andersb at vgnett

Jul 23, 2006, 3:40 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

On Jul 23, 2006, at 12:25, Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav wrote:

> "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> writes:
>> Which domain were you thinking of ? squid.no ? :-)
>
> *grin*
>
> I can easily get varnish.no - in fact, I might as well grab it right
> away before someone else does... but I was thinking more along the
> lines of varnish-cache.org (to mirror squid-cache.org), since
> varnish.{com,net,org} are taken.

I think we should not bother with varnish.no. It will never be used.
I am just saying so because I used a couple of weeks last year
cleaning up all the domains VG had registered, and alot of those
"this is close, we should get that one also...", "lets take the .no
also" domains went down the drain without ever beeing used. No part
of Varnish is especially norwegian, but maybe Linpro wants to focus
on this market segment and therefor can use the .no?

Anders Berg

> DES
> --
> Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
> Senior Software Developer
> Linpro AS - www.linpro.no

des at linpro

Jul 23, 2006, 3:45 AM

Website material (New thread) [In reply to]

Anders Berg <andersb at vgnett.no> writes:
> I think we should not bother with varnish.no. It will never be used.
> I am just saying so because I used a couple of weeks last year
> cleaning up all the domains VG had registered, and alot of those
> "this is close, we should get that one also...", "lets take the .no
> also" domains went down the drain without ever beeing used. No part
> of Varnish is especially norwegian, but maybe Linpro wants to focus
> on this market segment and therefor can use the .no?

Not at all - Varnish is an international product. I thought of it
simply because it allows us to have "varnish dot something"

DES
--
Dag-Erling Sm?rgrav
Senior Software Developer