Mailing List Archive: Varnish: Dev

chunked response within first session

Varnish dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jammy.linux at gmail

Feb 19, 2012, 7:05 PM

chunked response within first session

Hi~@list

I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be aggregated and returned.

Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response even if in the fetch session?

Any feedback will be appreciated. Thanks.

----------------------------------
Best wishes,
Jammy

tfheen at varnish-software

Feb 21, 2012, 3:01 AM

Re: chunked response within first session [In reply to]

]] Jammy

> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be aggregated and returned.

Yes this is normal.

> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response even if in the fetch session?

Why would you want to do that?

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Technical lead, Varnish Software

jammy.linux at gmail

Feb 21, 2012, 5:59 PM

Re: chunked response within first session [In reply to]

On 21 Feb, 2012, at 7:01 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:

> ]] Jammy
>
>> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be aggregated and returned.
>
> Yes this is normal.
>
>> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response even if in the fetch session?
>
> Why would you want to do that?

I'd like to have varnish stand in front of the web-server, even for HTML assets. This normal behavior may ruin the Time-To-FirstByte metrics;)

> --
> Tollef Fog Heen
> Technical lead, Varnish Software
> t: +47 21 98 92 64

----------------------------------
Best wishes,
Jammy

l at lrowe

Feb 22, 2012, 10:31 AM

Re: chunked response within first session [In reply to]

On 22 February 2012 01:59, Jammy <jammy.linux [at] gmail> wrote:

> On 21 Feb, 2012, at 7:01 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>
> ]] Jammy
>
> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be
> aggregated and returned.
>

> Yes this is normal.
>
> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response
> even if in the fetch session?
>

> Why would you want to do that?
>

> I'd like to have varnish stand in front of the web-server, even for HTML
> assets. This normal behavior may ruin the Time-To-FirstByte metrics;)

Perhaps you should investigate the streaming support in Varnish three:

https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish

and currently being worked on:

https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish

Laurence

jammy.linux at gmail

Feb 22, 2012, 10:00 PM

Re: chunked response within first session [In reply to]

Thank you for your pointer.

On 23 Feb, 2012, at 2:31 AM, Laurence Rowe wrote:

> On 22 February 2012 01:59, Jammy <jammy.linux [at] gmail> wrote:
>>

>> On 21 Feb, 2012, at 7:01 PM, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
>>
>> ]] Jammy
>>
>> I noticed that in the fetch session the chunked responses would be
>> aggregated and returned.
>>

>> Yes this is normal.
>>
>> Is there any concern about this behavior? Can we return chunked response
>> even if in the fetch session?
>>

>> Why would you want to do that?
>>

>> I'd like to have varnish stand in front of the web-server, even for HTML
>> assets. This normal behavior may ruin the Time-To-FirstByte metrics;)
>
> Perhaps you should investigate the streaming support in Varnish three:
>
> https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish
>
> and currently being worked on:
>
> https://www.varnish-software.com/blog/http-streaming-varnish
>
> Laurence

Best wishes,
Jammy

Varnish dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded