Mailing List Archive: Varnish: Dev

add vmod-std to the build

Varnish dev RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

perbu at varnish-software

add vmod-std to the build

Hi.

I've added a man page for the std module to the sphinx reference docs. If
someone could sprinkle some automake magic on top it would be great.

--
Per Buer, CEO
Phone: +47 21 98 92 61 / Mobile: +47 958 39 117 / Skype: per.buer

tfheen at varnish-software

Re: add vmod-std to the build [In reply to]

]] Per Buer

| I've added a man page for the std module to the sphinx reference docs. If
| someone could sprinkle some automake magic on top it would be great.

Seems like Martin did this yesterday.

--
Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software

andrea.campi at zephirworks

Re: add vmod-std to the build [In reply to]

It would be good to expose the same functionality for out-of-tree vmod so they could build and install man pages.

Ditto for tests.

Re: add vmod-std to the build [In reply to]

Also, eventually it would be nice not to require a checked out tree.
The tricky part is doing it in such a way that e.g. vmod.py emits correct
includes when building in-tree (e.g. #include "bin/varnishd/cache.h") and
out (e.g. #include <varnish/cache.h> or include <varnish/private/cache.h>
or something like that).
I guess it all depends on how private you want to keep some of the header
files.

Andrea

tfheen at varnish-software

Re: add vmod-std to the build [In reply to]

]] Andrea Campi

| Also, eventually it would be nice not to require a checked out tree.

This is currently because we don't promise anything wrt API and ABI
stability. Eventually, I'm hoping we can have a stable API and ABI, but
given how new the vmod mechanism is, we don't know if we've gotten it
right or not yet.

| The tricky part is doing it in such a way that e.g. vmod.py emits correct
| includes when building in-tree (e.g. #include "bin/varnishd/cache.h") and
| out (e.g. #include <varnish/cache.h> or include <varnish/private/cache.h>
| or something like that).

That's one of the easier problems to solve, really.

| I guess it all depends on how private you want to keep some of the header
| files.

Yup, basically.

Tollef Fog Heen
Varnish Software
t: +47 21 98 92 64

phk at phk

Re: add vmod-std to the build [In reply to]

In message <BANLkTinstRcOQ6jMXCZiKyCsoEYEpD1uAQ [at] mail>, Andrea Campi w
rites:

>Also, eventually it would be nice not to require a checked out tree.

That is guaranteed not happening for the 3.x series and it is at
best very speculative for later varnish releases.

Doing it, would require us to nail down a stable API across releases
for some of the most central bits in Varnish, and that would just
be an empty illusion.

phk [at] FreeBSD | TCP/IP since RFC 956
FreeBSD committer | BSD since 4.3-tahoe