Mailing List Archive: Trac: Users

Updating new ticket layout

Trac users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

Gary.Zhang at L-3com

Jan 20, 2011, 1:39 PM

Updating new ticket layout

Hello everyone,

I'm a newby here and on Trac. Does anyone know how to edit/design the
"New Ticket" page layout? Is there a way to format how and where items
are placed inside the properties section?

aggieborn at gmail

Aug 1, 2012, 4:24 PM

Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

I am curious about this same issue. In fact, I want to remove the entire
Ticket Properties section. So only the Description, email/username, or
summary are showing.

On Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:39:03 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm a newby here and on Trac. Does anyone know how to edit/design the
> "New Ticket" page layout? Is there a way to format how and where items
> are placed inside the properties section?

mark.cooke at siemens

Aug 2, 2012, 1:17 AM

RE: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

Not easily, the html template is stored inside the trac egg (assuming that is how you have trac installed) and any changes you did make to the template are likely to be discarded when you update trac. My understanding is that the visible fields are just displayed as they are with no special ordering.

However, there are plugins on http://trac-hacks.org/ that can do some of what you want and, if you are a coder, you can investigate using a genshi stream filter as mentioned above.

~ mark c

hoff.st at web

Aug 2, 2012, 9:34 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

On 02.08.2012 10:17, Cooke, Mark wrote:
>> -----Original Message----- From: trac-users [at] googlegroups

Yes, specifically try to implement the ITemplateStreamFilter [2]
ExtensionPoint interface, because this is the standard way, an XPATH
based selection and template manipulation [3] is done since Trac 0.11.

As Mark pointed out before, this is best-practice, because that approach
offers a better chance than direct template edits (and serving them in
you environment - effectively overwriting the "built-in" default) to do
customizations that survive Trac upgrades.

See DynamicFieldsPlugin for an alternative, JavaScript (jQuery) based
approach to the same topic.

>>> On Thursday, January 20, 2011 4:39:03 PM UTC-5, (unknown) wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I'm a newby here and on Trac. Does anyone know how to
>>> edit/design the "New Ticket" page layout? Is there a way to
>>> format how and where items are placed inside the properties
>>> section?
>
> Not easily, the html template is stored inside the trac egg (assuming
> that is how you have trac installed) and any changes you did make to
> the template are likely to be discarded when you update trac. My
> understanding is that the visible fields are just displayed as they
> are with no special ordering.

Not true, because recent Trac versions always move the owner field to
the bottom of the top ticket box, if shown at all, and there is a
directive-like order to apply to field definitions in ticket-custom
section of trac.ini to get your own sorting reliably like so:

[ticket-custom]
due_date = time
due_date.format = date
due_date.label = bis
due_date.order = 5
due_date.value =

> However, there are plugins on http://trac-hacks.org/ that can do some
> of what you want and, if you are a coder, you can investigate using a
> genshi stream filter as mentioned above.

As specific pointer would be TimingAndEstimationPlugin [5][6], although
I find it a bit misleading because only the `filter_stream` method is
part of the defined interface, so make sure that you define your
template condition inside the `filter_stream` method itself.

Steffen Hoffmann

[1]
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PluginDevelopment/ExtensionPoints/trac.web.api.ITemplateStreamFilter
[2] http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ComponentArchitecture
[3] http://genshi.edgewall.org/wiki/Documentation/filters.html#transformer
[4] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DynamicFieldsPlugin
[5] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TimingAndEstimationPlugin
[6]
http://trac-hacks.org/svn/timingandestimationplugin/branches/trac0.12/timingandestimationplugin/tande_filters.py

mark.cooke at siemens

Aug 3, 2012, 12:08 AM

RE: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

Ooo, thanks for that Steffan, I need to check that out...

~ mark c

> > However, there are plugins on http://trac-hacks.org/ that
> > can do some of what you want and, if you are a coder, you
> > can investigate using a genshi stream filter as mentioned
> > above.
>
> As specific pointer would be TimingAndEstimationPlugin
> [5][6], although
> I find it a bit misleading because only the `filter_stream` method is
> part of the defined interface, so make sure that you define your
> template condition inside the `filter_stream` method itself.
>
> Steffen Hoffmann
>

> [1]
> http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/PluginDevelopment/ExtensionPoints/trac.web.api.ITemplateStreamFilter
> [2] http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracDev/ComponentArchitecture
> [3] http://genshi.edgewall.org/wiki/Documentation/filters.html#transformer
> [4] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/DynamicFieldsPlugin
> [5] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TimingAndEstimationPlugin
> [6] http://trac-hacks.org/svn/timingandestimationplugin/branches/trac0.12/timingandestimationplugin/tande_filters.py

aggieborn at gmail

Aug 3, 2012, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

Thanks. But I am using Trac 10 for the basic reason that the operating
system the client is using only supports python 2.4.

I've been looking at direct template edits becuase most often the other
options require version 11 or 12.

On Friday, August 3, 2012 12:34:56 AM UTC-4, hasienda wrote:

> On 02.08.2012 10:17, Cooke, Mark wrote:
> >> -----Original Message----- From: trac-users [at] googlegroups

Aug 3, 2012, 4:38 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

aggieborn at gmail

Aug 7, 2012, 2:33 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

I can't upgrade to .11 because my client has a specific operating system
CentOS 5.7 which only has python 2.4 on there.

To make matters interesting, now I need to keep a custom field under Ticket
Properties, but remove Keyword and Cc.

On Friday, August 3, 2012 7:38:04 PM UTC-4, hasienda wrote:

kdeugau at vianet

Aug 7, 2012, 2:46 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

John of NOVA wrote:
> I can't upgrade to .11 because my client has a specific operating system
> CentOS 5.7 which only has python 2.4 on there.

Trac 0.11 and 0.12 work quite well on CentOS/RHEL 5. I use the package
from RPMForge myself but I haven't dug into exactly what they might have
done to get it working there. I would be surprised if it's more than a
couple of lines of patch on some version detection/limit that isn't
strictly required.

-kgd

aggieborn at gmail

Aug 8, 2012, 1:54 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

The issue remains, we are using .10. I cannot change that it's above my
head. So how do I accomplish what I want in .10 in as simple a way as
possible?

Goals:

Edit the New Ticket page

Modify the default searches in Trac Reports

Delete all tickets after downloading Report

On Tuesday, August 7, 2012 5:46:07 PM UTC-4, Kris Deugau wrote:

> John of NOVA wrote:
> > I can't upgrade to .11 because my client has a specific operating system
> > CentOS 5.7 which only has python 2.4 on there.
>
> Trac 0.11 and 0.12 work quite well on CentOS/RHEL 5. I use the package
> from RPMForge myself but I haven't dug into exactly what they might have
> done to get it working there. I would be surprised if it's more than a
> couple of lines of patch on some version detection/limit that isn't
> strictly required.
>
> -kgd

hoff.st at web

Aug 8, 2012, 3:52 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

hoff.st at web

Aug 8, 2012, 4:20 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]

Am 08.08.2012 22:54, schrieb John of NOVA:
> The issue remains, we are using .10. I cannot change that it's above my
> head. So how do I accomplish what I want in .10 in as simple a way as
> possible?

Sorry, but this is becoming a bit boring. As if I never responded to
your inquiries before:
0.10 is dead, and doing things in a dead branch is likely to fail, and
certainly not considered to be "simple" in any way. Even more as you
failed to provide a good, solid reason by now, what prevents you from
upgrading at least to old-stable (0.11)[1], preferably even to 0.12 [2].
Both should work with Python 2.4 (Trac 0.11 required Python2.3 or
later). It's to much above my head to meat you below this borderline.

> Goals:
>
> Edit the New Ticket page

Edit Clearsilver template, but I don't know about that at all, because
Genshi has been all I did in the last 3 years. It'll become harder to
get that old stuff going each day, and I'd never dare to even try to
setup new application on such an outdated platform, because you're bound
to change sooner or later anyway.

> Modify the default searches in Trac Reports

Should be pretty straight-forward, but you didn't provide information
what changes you want. Impossible to guess that, right?

> Delete all tickets after downloading Report

What does it mean to you: "download" a report? A report is just an HTML
based on SQL query, that could be done anytime from anyone. IIRC
deleting tickets isn't possible without a Trac plugin [2]. You're lucky
that the old 0.10 branch is still available for that plugin.

In general you should be a lot more verbose in your explanations about
what you want to do and about your constraints as well. If you can't
update your Trac install, I feel it hard to belief, that you'll succeed
in changing the existing one, about what we still know very little from
your explanations so far. Again, please consider advice given here more
thoroughly. With a current, working backup of your Trac environment, and
preferably testing on another system than the production server, you
should be good to go.

Sincerely,

Steffen Hoffmann

[1]
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade#UpgradingfromTrac0.10toTrac0.11
[2]
http://trac.edgewall.org/wiki/TracUpgrade#UpgradingfromTrac0.11toTrac0.12
[3] http://trac-hacks.org/wiki/TicketDeletePlugin

hoff.st at web

Sep 13, 2012, 3:11 PM

Re: Re: Updating new ticket layout [In reply to]