Mailing List Archive: Trac: Users

Immediate user notification after creating the accouont

Trac users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

james.t.burlington at googlemail

Dec 15, 2011, 3:53 AM

Immediate user notification after creating the accouont

Hi there,

for few of the hosted environments of our business there is the
requirement that after creating an user account through the project
admin a notification email is sent to the new user that an account for
him is created at project XY. For example new employees get accounts
created by the admin. And they don't know which environments are
related to the projects they shall be working on when they start at
the job. If they get notifiers, they know the environments, cause
environments have a clearly mark project relation.

So for that purpose I've activated the e-mail verification. But after
the user account is created there goes no notification mail out. It
will be sent if the new user first logs in.

I found no way to get a notification out after account creation.
And I 've found no plugin that covers this. Have anyone an idea how to
accomplish this task?

Thank you in advance and best regards

jtb

mark.cooke at siemens

Dec 15, 2011, 5:42 AM

> for few of the hosted environments of our business there is the
> requirement that after creating an user account through the project
> admin a notification email is sent to the new user that an account for
> him is created at project XY. For example new employees get accounts
> created by the admin. And they don't know which environments are
> related to the projects they shall be working on when they start at
> the job. If they get notifiers, they know the environments, cause
> environments have a clearly mark project relation.
>
> So for that purpose I've activated the e-mail verification. But after
> the user account is created there goes no notification mail out. It
> will be sent if the new user first logs in.
>
> I found no way to get a notification out after account creation.
> And I 've found no plugin that covers this. Have anyone an idea how to
> accomplish this task?
>
> Thank you in advance and best regards
>
> jtb

As far as I know this function is not available out of the box...

Depending on how you have your usernames / email notification configured (which you don't mention), how is trac supposed to know where to send the notification until the user sets their email address in preferences? And there is no built-in tool for setting this info.

The simplest solution is to ask the relevant admin(s) to send the email, that's what I do (but then I don't have to add too many users). Otherwise I don't see how you could easily hook into the new user admin code.

~ mark c

james.t.burlington at googlemail

Dec 19, 2011, 3:27 AM

Re: Immediate user notification after creating the accouont [In reply to]

Hi Mark,

I create new users in trac after I've created the corresponding email
account.
So, I fill in username email adress and an initial password.
The verification email is sent after the first use of the new user
credentials.

The local trac notifications are not upgraded by any plugin at the moment.
Trac is configured that users get mail for actions on tickets related to
their accounts.

Has anyone a good hint?

Cheers,

James