Mailing List Archive: syslinux: users
Re: syslinux-3.36 Physical Floppy Disk Access Problem

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

hpa at zytor

Jun 11, 2007, 10:16 AM

Re: syslinux-3.36 Physical Floppy Disk Access Problem [In reply to]

Desmond Boyd wrote:
> As requested, I have tested the distributions listed below to try to isolate
> when physical disk drive access for me was lost, results are as follows:
>
> Physical Disk Drive B: OK with Virtual Disk Drive as A:
> 3.20
> 3.30
> 3.31
> 3.32 Pre1
>
> Physical Disk Drive B: Not Present only Virtual Disks A: and B:
> 3.35
> 3.35 Pre1
> 3.35 Pre2
> 3.35 Pre3
> 3.35 Pre4
> 3.35 Pre5
> 3.36
> 3.50

Could you also test the various 3.32-preX releases (2 to 8) to narrow
down the failure further?

The most likely failure seems to be between 3.32-pre3 and -pre4:

memdisk: Constrain input drive numbers both by equipment byte and
INT 13h

Apparently on some BIOSes, INT 13h return a bogus number of floppy
drives when the real value is zero (probably because the code
doesn't check the validity bit in the equipment byte.) Do it
ourselves if we need to.

There should be a line when MEMDISK boots up saying something about "INT
13 08", what is that printout?

-hpa