Mailing List Archive: syslinux: users

ramdisk load

syslinux users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

slider at sch

ramdisk load

Hello!

I'd like to load a ramdisk with syslinux, but from another disk.

And I've found this in the syslinux faq:

"An initrd is loaded from a DOS file if the option "initrd=filename"
(where filename is the filename of the initrd image; the file must be
located in the root directory on the boot floppy)"

But I'd like to replace the floppy, and load a ramdisk file from
another disk.

What parameters should I give the kernel? I t've tried many variations
of initrd, but failed...

Thanks for your help in advance.

Csao
Slider

hpa at zytor

ramdisk load [In reply to]

Bolya Imre wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I'd like to load a ramdisk with syslinux, but from another disk.
>
> And I've found this in the syslinux faq:
>
> "An initrd is loaded from a DOS file if the option "initrd=filename"
> (where filename is the filename of the initrd image; the file must be
> located in the root directory on the boot floppy)"
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> But I'd like to replace the floppy, and load a ramdisk file from
> another disk.
>
> What parameters should I give the kernel? I t've tried many variations
> of initrd, but failed...

Not supported.

-hpa

jsiemes at web

ramdisk load [In reply to]

Hi,

> I'd like to load a ramdisk with syslinux, but from another disk.
>
> And I've found this in the syslinux faq:
>
> "An initrd is loaded from a DOS file if the option "initrd=filename"
> (where filename is the filename of the initrd image; the file must be
> located in the root directory on the boot floppy)"
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> But I'd like to replace the floppy, and load a ramdisk file from
> another disk.
>
> What parameters should I give the kernel? I t've tried many variations
> of initrd, but failed...

You could give syslinux a small initrd to load, and handle the rest
in the initrd itself. So the linuxrc prompts for another disk, and
loads & mounts the disk where suitable. It's a bit of work, but should
do what you want.

Regards,

Josef

syslinux users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded