Mailing List Archive: syslinux: users

Networking

syslinux users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

kevin at flanagannc

Networking

I just found syslinux from freshmeat.net, I'm trying to build a boot
disk that will do the following.

- Boot an OS from floppy
- Partition hard disk >4GB
- format hard disk, with specific cluster sizes
- perhaps load a network stack

I'm trying to automate system builds, but DOS based disks have the
limitation of not being able to do many types of file systems, if you
convert later you are stuck with small cluster sizes.

See my dilema?

Thanks for any insight,

Kevin

"The two most common elements in the universe are hydrogen and
stupidity." -
Harlan Ellison

jsiemes at web

Networking [In reply to]

Hi,

"Kevin Flanagan" <kevin [at] flanagannc> schrieb am 30.04.02:
> I just found syslinux from freshmeat.net, I'm trying to build a boot
> disk that will do the following.
>
> - Boot an OS from floppy
> - Partition hard disk >4GB
> - format hard disk, with specific cluster sizes
> - perhaps load a network stack
>
> I'm trying to automate system builds, but DOS based disks have the
> limitation of not being able to do many types of file systems, if you
> convert later you are stuck with small cluster sizes.

use syslinux, a linux kernel and a suitable initrd.
If you like to have net-booted installs you can also play around
with pxelinux, it supports PXE-enabled network cards.

I think someone else already has done this, look at the mailing list
archives for this.

Regards,

Josef

syslinux users RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded