hpa at zytor
May 29, 2009, 2:19 PM
Post #1 of 1
I have pushed out Syslinux 3.81 to the usual places.
Again, special thanks to my employer, Intel, for letting me spend time
working on this stuff ;)
Syslinux 3.81 is primarily a bug fix release. The main new features
are halt-on-idle support and some features to isohybrid, including the
ability to boot from an image written to a partition.
Changes in 3.81:
* Shuffler: fix bug in real-mode entry. This affected a
number of modules, probably in relatively unimportant ways,
but it completely broke linux.c32.
* Improved performance.
* Attempt to halt the processor while idle. This can cause
bad reponsiveness when using a serial console especially for
automated input; if that ends up being a problem, use the
new "NOHALT 1" configuration command.
* linux.c32 now suppresses all messages if the "quiet" flag is
* isohybrid: add a variety of options, and a help message.
* ISOLINUX: fix booting in hybrid mode when CBIOS is used.
This unfortunately means that the isohybrid handoff protocol
has changed, so the isohybrid utility must version-match
* Drop support for ACPI 3 extended memory flags.
* Menu system: don't set the autocr flag on the serial
* altmbr: fix handling of logical partitions.
* altmbr: cap at 439 bytes so the partition select byte isn't
part of the file.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
This version includes gPXE, to allow accessing network
files via other protocols than TFTP.
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
floppy install network ext2 ext3 pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa [at] zytor (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa [at] zytor (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
Platforms: DOS or Linux to install. Linux, perl and NASM 0.98.39
or later required to build from source. A future
version will require NASM 2.00 or later.
Copying-policy: GPL, MIT
SYSLINUX-announce mailing list
SYSLINUX-announce [at] zytor