hpa at zytor
Apr 9, 2009, 11:52 AM
Post #1 of 1
Well, here it is. This is a historic Syslinux release -- it's the first
one in 15 years in which the majority of the work was not done by
myself; mostly because of the *huge* effort Erwan and Pierre have put in
I also want to give a special thank you to my new(ish) employer, Intel
Corporation, for letting me continue to work on Syslinux. :)
From here, onward and upward. I have already bumped the version number
of the master branch to 3.80.
Changes in 3.74:
* New UI directive, which allows a more natural way to specify
a menu system (or not.) With the UI directive specifying
the menu system, the DEFAULT directive can be used to select
the default entry inside the menus.
* kbdmap.c32: new module to load a new keyboard map
* isohybrid: workaround bug in some versions of binutils.
* Fix issue with the placement of the initrd on some machines.
* ifcpu64: fix handling of less than three arguments.
* Fix bug in the shuffle library when dealing with a very
large number of fragments.
* Documentation fixes by Vicente Jimenez Aguilar.
* gPXE updated to version 0.9.7.
* hdt.c32: Hardware Detection Tool, an interactive hardware
analyzer module by Erwan Velu.
* MEMDISK: enable automatic determination of the disk geometry
for a large floppy disk image if (and only if) it is
formatted with a FAT filesystem.
* SYSLINUX: fix the handling of .bss files on FAT12/16.
* Suppress the Loading ... message if "quiet" is specified on
the kernel command line.
* Fix the use of "CONSOLE 0" with menu.c32.
* Allow COM32 modules to be aware of all memory even in the
presence of a memory hole. The "linux.c32" module can be
used to load a kernel (or memdisk) plus large initrd on
such a system.
* MBR: produce alternate MBR variants which force the drive
number to hd0 (_f variants), or force the drive number to
hd0 if the Ctrl key is pressed (_c variants.) Furthermore,
add an MBR variant (altmbr*.bin) which ignores the active
flag and instead boots the partition number specified in the
byte at offset 439 decimal.
* Add IPAPPEND strings to com32 modules, especially needed for
* New MENU SAVE directive which saves the latest menu
selection until the next boot. Currently only implemented for
* gfxboot.com: *experimental* interface module to Steffen
Winterfeldt's "gfxboot" graphical front end
(http://gfxboot.sourceforge.net/). Module by Sebastian Herbszt.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
This version includes gPXE, to allow accessing network
files via other protocols than TFTP.
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
floppy install network ext2 ext3 pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa [at] zytor (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa [at] zytor (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
Platforms: DOS or Linux to install. Linux, perl and nasm 0.98.39 or
later required to build from source.
SYSLINUX-announce mailing list
SYSLINUX-announce [at] zytor