hpa at zytor
Sep 25, 2008, 5:01 PM
Post #1 of 1
Well, it has to happen at some point, so I have officially pushed out
SYSLINUX 3.72. The big news in this release is of course the ISOLINUX
hybrid mode support (a single image which can be booted either from a
CD-ROM or from a hard disk/USB stick), but there are plenty of more
goodies in here, including the label listing (not technically
completion) on the Tab key.
As usual, huge thanks to my employer, rPath, Inc., for letting me work
on this stuff.
Changes in 3.72:
* Include the pxechain.com module from Jeffery Hutzelman at
Carnegie Mellon University. This allows chaining another
PXE boot program while changing the DHCP packet passed to
* Reorganize the Makefile system.
* Major PCI core cleanups and other source cleanup.
* gPXE code updated.
* Try to avoid memory-snooping attacks on passwords. Note
that if someone has root on the box, they generally don't
need to compromise the boot loader...
* ISOLINUX: fix crash when given a zero-length file.
* sdi.c32: support gzipped SDI images.
* ISOLINUX: support generating images which can be either
a CD-ROM or a hard disk (USB disk, etc.) See
doc/isolinux.txt for more information.
* Remote gdb support for COM32 modules; patch from Stefan
* Support beeps in F-key help in the simple menu system.
* Tab display of labels, based on a patch from Sebastian
Herbszt. Can be disabled with the NOCOMPLETE configuration
* "menu default" can now be specified after "menu begin", to
indicate that a specific submenu should be the default entry.
Description: SYSLINUX is a collection of boot loaders for the Linux
operating system which operates off Linux ext2/3
filesystems, MS-DOS FAT filesystems, network servers
using PXE firmware, or from CD-ROMs. The FAT
filesystem version can be installed from DOS, NT, or
It includes a sophisticated API for add-on "COM32"
modules, including a significant subset of the
standard C library.
It also includes MEMDISK, a tool to boot legacy
operating systems from nontraditional media like PXE
This version includes gPXE, to allow accessing network
files via other protocols than TFTP.
Keywords: syslinux pxelinux isolinux extlinux msdos boot loader
floppy install network ext2 ext3 pxe iso9660 cdfs
Author: hpa [at] zytor (H. Peter Anvin)
Maintained-by: hpa [at] zytor (H. Peter Anvin)
Primary-site: ftp.kernel.org /pub/linux/utils/boot/syslinux
Platforms: DOS or Linux to install. Linux, perl and nasm 0.98.39 or
later required to build from source.
SYSLINUX-announce mailing list
SYSLINUX-announce [at] zytor