Mailing List Archive: SPF: Help
Outbound Relay and SPF

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

pthomsen at reedtz

Jul 27, 2004, 11:11 AM

Outbound Relay and SPF

I just set up SPF, and this may be a FAQ, but I searched the archive,
and didn't find any info about this issue, so here goes:

I run my own mail server (sendmail), and have set up SPF for it:

reedtz.com. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4: -all"

All MUAs/webmail on my network connect to smtp.reedtz.com
( and all mail goes out that way.

However, when using spfmilter, I get a 'fail' status when I send myself
a test message. The problem appears to be that spfmilter sees the
to my outbound relay ( as the 'client IP' (or originating

What should I do? I'd really rather not have to maintain SPF records for
all MUAs. Or is this simply how it works?

I could of course put my entire /28 in the SPF record, but I'd really
like to find out how to designate my outbound server as the only allowed
server, without getting rejected.

Any help is appreciated.

Per Reedtz Thomsen | The Reedtz Corporation | F: 209 883 4119
V: 209 883 4102 | pthomsen [at] reedtz | C: 415 425 4025
GPG ID: 1209784F | Yahoo! Chat: pthomsen | AIM: pthomsen

Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/
Donate! http://spf.pobox.com/donations.html
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?listname=spf-help [at] v2