Mailing List Archive: SPF: Help
Re: proper spf when using gmail for domain's mail server

Index | Next | Previous | View Flat

spf1 at beer

Aug 31, 2010, 10:12 AM

Re: proper spf when using gmail for domain's mail server [In reply to]

> As for the setup, I do have webform confirmation messages that get sent
> from my web server itself (64.13.223.66).

OK - add in the "ip4:64.13.223.66" clause. That's better than "a" because
it reduces the number of DNS lookups required. But it fails if your server
should change IP address, so keep an eye on that.

> but in each case, the SMTP setting routes through gMail
> (overriding the ISPs default).

In that case, throw away the telus part of the record - if you're routing
everything through gmail, there's no need to permit any connections from
Telus customers.

> Could you also recommend the best way to verify the spf is setup
> correctly? Is there a free (hopefully) service out there that does this?

There are a number of tests you can do.

Prior to committing too much to DNS, you can use Scott's test form at
http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html . If you want to test a record
in place, send an email - which will always be rejected - to
spf-test [at] openspf . Have a look at the bounce from that, and you'll see
what happened to your SPF test.

HTH

Vic.