Mailing List Archive: SPF: Help

IP's that are allowed to send email

SPF help RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

jmock at starfishcomputer

Dec 10, 2008, 9:37 AM

IP's that are allowed to send email

Hello, I am trying to configure an SPF record for a client. I'm having a
hard time figuring out what servers should be allowed to send mail from
their domain. They only have one exchange server. Which IP addresses
should be allowed to send from the domain? Would it just be the IP
address that is returned when pinging the MX record? Would it be the
companies entire range of IP's? Is there a tool that can tell me exactly
which IP's I should include? Thank you.

scott at kitterman

Dec 10, 2008, 9:44 AM

Re: IP's that are allowed to send email [In reply to]

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 12:37:33 -0500 "Jeff Mock" <jmock [at] starfishcomputer>
wrote:
>Hello, I am trying to configure an SPF record for a client. I'm having a
>hard time figuring out what servers should be allowed to send mail from
>their domain. They only have one exchange server. Which IP addresses
>should be allowed to send from the domain? Would it just be the IP
>address that is returned when pinging the MX record? Would it be the
>companies entire range of IP's? Is there a tool that can tell me exactly
>which IP's I should include? Thank you.

It should be the IP the Exchange box uses for outbound traffic. Just check
the Received: header of a message from them.

Scott K

Tom.Reynolds at RTM

Dec 10, 2008, 9:49 AM

RE: IP's that are allowed to send email [In reply to]

Send your self an email from their server, and then check the headers:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0
MAIL.rtm.com

The first line or so should look like this one above, telling me that
your message was sent to me (mail.rtm.com) from listbox.com from that
IP.

Tom Reynolds

IT Manager

610.337.3600 x224

Fax: 610.337.2300

tom.reynolds [at] rtm

RealTime Media

Material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination, distribution,
Forwarding, or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon,
recipient is prohibited without the express permission of the sender. If
you received this communication in error, please contact the sender and
delete the material from any computer.