Mailing List Archive: SPF: Help

Another novice needing help setting up SPF

SPF help RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

starkrats at yahoo

Aug 3, 2007, 9:57 AM

Another novice needing help setting up SPF

Hi,
We have two domain names for our two companies and we route all mail (in & out) for each of them (bouldercreekstone.com & condorfireplace.com) thru our mail gateway on our DMZ to our Exchange Server on our LAN

Mail Gateway = 204.96.199.100

Do I just publish two individual SPF records? Do I need my Exchange public IP in the SPF? Can anyone help me with the correct syntax?

Thanks,
Scott Starkweather
Boulder Creek Stone

steve at teamITS

Aug 3, 2007, 1:00 PM

RE: Another novice needing help setting up SPF [In reply to]

Scott Starkweather wrote on 8/3/2007 11:57:12 AM:

> We have two domain names for our two companies and we route all mail
(in
> & out) for each of them (bouldercreekstone.com & condorfireplace.com)
> thru our mail gateway on our DMZ to our Exchange Server on our LAN

It sounds like you are describing incoming mail? That's not
relevant to setting up SPF for your domains. What are the servers that
deliver outgoing mail for those domains? Is it only 204.96.199.100?

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- All your base are belong to us!

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~

starkrats at yahoo

Aug 3, 2007, 3:51 PM

RE: Another novice needing help setting up SPF [In reply to]

Yes, we use the same server (204.96.199.100) to route our outgoing mail

Steve Yates <steve [at] teamITS> wrote: Scott Starkweather wrote on 8/3/2007 11:57:12 AM:

> We have two domain names for our two companies and we route all mail
(in
> & out) for each of them (bouldercreekstone.com & condorfireplace.com)
> thru our mail gateway on our DMZ to our Exchange Server on our LAN

It sounds like you are describing incoming mail? That's not
relevant to setting up SPF for your domains. What are the servers that
deliver outgoing mail for those domains? Is it only 204.96.199.100?

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- All your base are belong to us!

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~

steve at teamITS

Aug 3, 2007, 4:57 PM

RE: Another novice needing help setting up SPF [In reply to]

Scott Starkweather wrote on 8/3/2007 5:51:44 PM:

> Yes, we use the same server (204.96.199.100) to route our outgoing
mail

If that is the only server used to send outgoing mail, your SPF
record might simply look like "v=spf1 ip4:204.96.199.100 -all".

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get
through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -
Homer Simpson

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~

starkrats at yahoo

Aug 3, 2007, 6:18 PM

RE: Another novice needing help setting up SPF [In reply to]

There's no special need to denote the two different domains? How about the
public IP address of my Exchange server? Does SPF only specify the SMTP
server(s)?

Thanks for your help.

Scott Starkweather

Scott Starkweather wrote on 8/3/2007 5:51:44 PM:

> Yes, we use the same server (204.96.199.100) to route our outgoing
mail

If that is the only server used to send outgoing mail, your SPF
record might simply look like "v=spf1 ip4:204.96.199.100 -all".

-----
SPF FAQ: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ
Common mistakes: http://www.openspf.org/FAQ/Common_mistakes

- Steve Yates
- ITS, Inc.
- Okay, brain. You don't like me, and I don't like you, but let's get
through this thing and then I can continue killing you with beer. -
Homer Simpson

~ Taglines by Taglinator - www.srtware.com ~

please go to
http://v2.listbox.com/member/?&

scott at kitterman

Aug 3, 2007, 6:34 PM

Re: Another novice needing help setting up SPF [In reply to]

On Friday 03 August 2007 21:18, Stark wrote:
> There's no special need to denote the two different domains? How about the
> public IP address of my Exchange server? Does SPF only specify the SMTP
> server(s)?

Each domain needs it's own record. If they both send through the same server,
the record can be identical.

SPF only cares about the final outbound MTA, so no, an Exchange server behind
a relay wouldn't be relevant to SPF.

Scott K