Mailing List Archive: SPF: Help

Success setting up SPF (type-99) record with djbdns/tinydns WAS:Re: Help setting up an spf

SPF help RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

list-spf-help at rangat

Dec 8, 2006, 12:50 PM

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Friday 08 December 2006 15:15, Robert P. Thille wrote:
>
>> I'm still struggling with this (getting type-99 records working for
>> 'sbbiking.org'), so if someone could point me at a domain with a type-99
>> record that I could fetch and compare to what I've got I'd be grateful!
>>
> Try bmsi.com.

Thanks Scott,

With that info, I realized that I was screwing up the decimal count I
was doing of the length of my record when converting it to octal (for
use in the djbdns data file).

So, here's my example of setting up a type-99 SPF dns record using
djbdns (tinydns) (being overly verbose, in case someone finds this via a
search)
From my data file, edited to protect the guilty:
'example.com:v=spf1 ip4\072192.168.001.01/30 -all:3600
:example.com:99:\041v=spf1 ip4\072192.168.001.01/30 -all:3600

starting colon says look after the domain name for the type in decimal,
then, after that the \041 is a designator for a single byte in 'octal'.
In the SPF (type-99) record it appears that it should be just like the
'txt' record, but prefixed with the length. Note that the \072 later on
is ':', and should be counted as a single character.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me track this down.

Robert

--
Robert Thille 7575 Meadowlark Dr.; Sebastopol, CA 95472
Home: 707.824.9753 Office/VOIP: 707.780.1560 Cell: 707.217.7544

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=1311530&user_secret=cbdbbc81

scott at kitterman

Dec 9, 2006, 11:13 AM

Re: Success setting up SPF (type-99) record with djbdns/tinydns WAS:Re: Help setting up an spf [In reply to]

On Friday 08 December 2006 15:50, Robert P. Thille wrote:
> Scott Kitterman wrote:
> > On Friday 08 December 2006 15:15, Robert P. Thille wrote:
> >> I'm still struggling with this (getting type-99 records working for
> >> 'sbbiking.org'), so if someone could point me at a domain with a type-99
> >> record that I could fetch and compare to what I've got I'd be grateful!
> >
> > Try bmsi.com.
>
> Thanks Scott,
>
> With that info, I realized that I was screwing up the decimal count I
> was doing of the length of my record when converting it to octal (for
> use in the djbdns data file).
>
> So, here's my example of setting up a type-99 SPF dns record using
> djbdns (tinydns) (being overly verbose, in case someone finds this via a
> search)
> From my data file, edited to protect the guilty:
> 'example.com:v=spf1 ip4\072192.168.001.01/30 -all:3600
>
> :example.com:99:\041v=spf1 ip4\072192.168.001.01/30 -all:3600
>
> starting colon says look after the domain name for the type in decimal,
> then, after that the \041 is a designator for a single byte in 'octal'.
> In the SPF (type-99) record it appears that it should be just like the
> 'txt' record, but prefixed with the length. Note that the \072 later on
> is ':', and should be counted as a single character.
>
> Thanks again to everyone for helping me track this down.

Glad we could help.

Now the results from my end...

There was already an unrelated change in pySPF 2.0.1 that improved DNS input
data validation that corrects the pySPF related problems I experienced on my
SPF validator:

http://www.kitterman.com/spf/validate.html

I had some additional work to do with the way the validation script was
calling pySPF and retreiving records of type SPF (I had to make the same
changes that were made in pySPF 2.0.1). That's all done now, so you can
delete the test data you published. Thanks for the data.

Anyone using pySPF ought to be running the latest version. Details at:

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/pyspf

The SPF FAQ is a evolving document:

http://new.openspf.org/FAQ

I expect that as Type 99/SPF gets more popular, we will see more questions
like this. If you would write up your experience in a style appropriate for
inclusion in the FAQ, that would be a big help. You can send it to me here
or directly and I'll get it added to the FAQ.

Thanks,

Scott K

-------