Mailing List Archive: SPF: Help

Help with SPF setup at Namecheap

SPF help RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

matt at wrongcrowd

Jun 27, 2006, 5:49 PM

Help with SPF setup at Namecheap

This is less a question on an SPF record than it is a question about
Namecheap's zone file editing tool. There is an option to insert a TXT
record, but I am not sure how to fill out the other two fields.

If anyone on the list has done this, please let me know the trick.
Thanks!

(yes, time to get a real DNS, I know!)

--
Matt Staroscik
matt [at] wrongcrowd | http://wrongcrowd.com

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)

alex at ergens

Jun 27, 2006, 6:09 PM

Re: Help with SPF setup at Namecheap [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 05:49:34PM -0700, Matt Staroscik wrote:
> This is less a question on an SPF record than it is a question about
> Namecheap's zone file editing tool. There is an option to insert a TXT
> record, but I am not sure how to fill out the other two fields.

Define "other two fields" and I'm sure lots more people will be
able to help.

You are probably refering to something called hostname or domain for
one of these fields, and TTL for the other (if not, stop reading now)

If you are the owner of "example.com" and you want to set a record
for this domain, you can usually let the hostname/domain field empty.
Some web interfaces will need "@", some will need "example.com." (so
with a trailing dot).

If you should fill in the trailing dot but fail to do so, you would
be publishing for "example.com.example.com" which is not what you
want.

If you want to set a record for "www.example.com", you usually have
to fill in "www". If you want "mail.westcoast.example.com", you
probably need to fill in "mail.westcoast". Note: no trailing dot
in these cases, so "example.com" is appended.

In both cases, the TTL can be left empty or be set to a sane number
of seconds (86400 is quite usual).

Safe way to try is to create a TXT record which is not an SPF record.
"Hello, world" will do. After trying this, verify using any tool that
the record is indeed visible in DNS. One example of such a tool:
http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/lookup.ch?name=example.com&type=TXT
(and change the domain name into your own)
This tool will use fresh information, unless you recently changed
name servers and use the tool just before that.

When you know which values to put in; you can publish your SPF
record without fearing of doing this part wrong. Don't forget to
remove your "hello, world" TXT record.

HTH
Alex

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=1311530&user_secret=cbdbbc81

matt at wrongcrowd

Jun 27, 2006, 6:19 PM

Re: Help with SPF setup at Namecheap [In reply to]

> Define "other two fields" and I'm sure lots more people will be
> able to help.

Of course... got ahead of myself. A row in the tool looks like this:

Label: Hostname IP Adds/URL Record Type
Element: Text box Text box Dropdown (CNAME, A, TXT, Redirect)

> You are probably refering to something called hostname or domain for
> one of these fields, and TTL for the other (if not, stop reading now)

Can't specify TTL in this tool... so I guess it isn't allowing full
editing of the record.

I'll try the test TXT record you mentioned though, with that I ought to
be able to test the tool and see what I can get away with.

Thanks!

--
Matt Staroscik
matt [at] wrongcrowd | http://wrongcrowd.com

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)

alex at ergens

Jun 27, 2006, 6:31 PM

Re: Help with SPF setup at Namecheap [In reply to]

On Tue, Jun 27, 2006 at 06:19:52PM -0700, Matt Staroscik wrote:

> Label: Hostname IP Adds/URL Record Type

Probably what I described as hostname/domain.

> Element: Text box Text box Dropdown (CNAME, A, TXT, Redirect)

One textbox for your SPF record (the domain's content).
The other one could be TTL, or it could be "IN" by default.

> I'll try the test TXT record you mentioned though, with that I ought to
> be able to test the tool and see what I can get away with.

Try filling in "test" for the label, select "TXT and then fill in
"12345" and "hello, world" at the element.

Hopefully this results in >>>test.example.com. 12345 IN TXT "Hello, world"<<<

HTH
Alex

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=1311530&user_secret=cbdbbc81

matt at wrongcrowd

Jul 11, 2006, 5:12 PM

Re: Help with SPF setup at Namecheap (FOLLOWUP) [In reply to]

For future archive searchers: it doesn't look like it is possible to create a
SPF-style TXT record with Namecheap's DNS control panel. You can create a TXT record, but
it may not contain more than one word... upon saving, the system strips out spaces. So
unless SPF understands "v=spf1amx~all" it's the end of the road for Namecheap's DNS.

I have contacted tech support, just so I can say I tried, but you know how it goes.

Granite Canyon, here I come.

Thanks for everyone's help. This is a hassle just to get my email accepted by Verizon.
:)

--
Matt Staroscik
matt [at] wrongcrowd | http://wrongcrowd.com

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)

scott at kitterman

Jul 11, 2006, 6:50 PM

Re: Help with SPF setup at Namecheap (FOLLOWUP) [In reply to]

On Tuesday 11 July 2006 20:12, Matt Staroscik wrote:
> For future archive searchers: it doesn't look like it is possible to create
> a SPF-style TXT record with Namecheap's DNS control panel. You can create a
> TXT record, but it may not contain more than one word... upon saving, the
> system strips out spaces. So unless SPF understands "v=spf1amx~all" it's
> the end of the road for Namecheap's DNS.
>
> I have contacted tech support, just so I can say I tried, but you know how
> it goes.
>
> Granite Canyon, here I come.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help. This is a hassle just to get my email accepted
> by Verizon.
>
> :)
I have a list (I need to update it, but it is mostly right):

http://www.kitterman.com/spf/txt.html

Scott K

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=1311530&user_secret=cbdbbc81

markwolk at gmail

Jul 13, 2006, 5:15 AM

Re: Help with SPF setup at Namecheap (FOLLOWUP) [In reply to]

On 7/12/06, Matt Staroscik <matt [at] wrongcrowd> wrote:
> For future archive searchers: it doesn't look like it is possible to create a
> SPF-style TXT record with Namecheap's DNS control panel. You can create a TXT record, but
> it may not contain more than one word... upon saving, the system strips out spaces. So
> unless SPF understands "v=spf1amx~all" it's the end of the road for Namecheap's DNS.
>
> I have contacted tech support, just so I can say I tried, but you know how it goes.
>
> Granite Canyon, here I come.
>
> Thanks for everyone's help. This is a hassle just to get my email accepted by Verizon.
> :)
>
> --
> Matt Staroscik
> matt [at] wrongcrowd | http://wrongcrowd.com
>
> -------
> Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)

I have several domains with Namecheap and their SPF record works OK.
In the Namecheap interface, go to "All Host Records" and

1) in the box "Host Name", write "@" (without quotes)

2) in the box "IP address / url", add your SPF string without quotes

It definitely works for me. Try i.e. to lookup the SPF record of my
domain envo.org

Regards,

Mark Wolk
New Zealand Splendeur Tours

-------
Archives at http://archives.listbox.com/spf-help/current/ or
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/spf/help/ (easier to search)
please go to http://v2.listbox.com/member/?member_id=1311530&user_secret=cbdbbc81

matt at wrongcrowd

Jul 13, 2006, 10:10 AM

Re: Help with SPF setup at Namecheap (FOLLOWUP) [In reply to]

Fantastic, glad I was doing it wrong. Thanks for posting.

- Matt