Mailing List Archive: SPF: Discuss

can someone answer me a question i cannot seem to find in the docs

SPF discuss RSS feed   Index | Next | Previous | View Threaded

spfdiscuss at alandoherty

Nov 2, 2009, 4:08 PM

can someone answer me a question i cannot seem to find in the docs

o = domain of <sender>
d = <domain>

?? when and how are these different?
i am assuming that perhaps %{d}==domain of current spf record but I cannot find this proven/stated anywhere in the online docs

ie if sender is 1 [at] domain1
so while reading SPF for domain1.com %{o} & %{d}==domain1.com but after an include or redirect to say _spf.domain2.com
%{o} still equals domain1.com but %{d} now equals _spf.domain2.com

i assume they are in some circumstance but want to find out how they are supposed to be without setting up multiple test cases and testing them

stuart at bmsi

Nov 2, 2009, 7:40 PM

Re: can someone answer me a question i cannot seem to find in the docs [In reply to]

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, alan wrote:

> ?? when and how are these different?
> i am assuming that perhaps %{d}==domain of current spf record but I cannot
> find this proven/stated anywhere in the online docs

4.1. Arguments

The check_host() function takes these arguments:

<ip> the IP address of the SMTP client that is emitting the mail,
either IPv4 or IPv6.
<domain> the domain that provides the sought-after authorization
information; initially, the domain portion of the "MAIL FROM"
or "HELO" identity.
<sender> the "MAIL FROM" or "HELO" identity.

The domain portion of <sender> will usually be the same as the <domain>
argument when check_host() is initially evaluated. However, this will generally
not be true for recursive evaluations (see Section 5.2 below).

--
Stuart D. Gathman <stuart [at] bmsi>

spfdiscuss at alandoherty

Nov 2, 2009, 8:35 PM

Re: can someone answer me a question i cannot seem to find in the docs [In reply to]

At 03:40 03/11/2009 Tuesday, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
>On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, alan wrote:
>
>> ?? when and how are these different?
>> i am assuming that perhaps %{d}==domain of current spf record but I cannot

thanks so my assumption was correct

>> find this proven/stated anywhere in the online docs

aha next time read more closely every section is the lesson I should learn
now i see how some of my exp= arguments were failing and how to fix